Stalwart braking system & other bits

Neil,

I have to ask, why did you decide to 'rebuild' your Stalwart by turning it into another one, rather than just buying another one? You'd have spent much less money and probably got a better vehicle.

Chris

Sentiment sir - not something usually attributable to me I know....

In defence I have to say I was only just out of the second, nearly fatal, spell in hospital and might not have been thinking too logically. It was my first MV and thus special.

The OT will have "For Sale" signs at W&P this year and, whilst being sad to lose it to due to lack of work and being told to get stuffed by the Gov't when applying for state aid, it doesn't have the same attachment for me the Stalwart does.

I was expecting basically to have everything off mine fitted to another hull as the "expert" opinion was the hull on my original one could not be straightened out.

Expectations and reality are proving to be poles apart....... :argh: :argh: :argh:

Put the rebuilt throttle slave back on today but gave the master cylinder & pipe a flush through first before connecting it...

New & the old fluid that came out of it...

100_3807.jpg

Took ages to flush through & the fluid was squirting out of the top of the brake reservoir & would not bleed, so tiime to have that out...

100_3809.jpg

100_3811.jpg

Stripped it down & found all sorts of nasty stuff in there...

100_3812.jpg

100_3814.jpg

100_3818.jpg

100_3821.jpg

Found that the seal had swollen so much it was loose & almost falling off the piston... Neil phoned Bannister for new piston seal.. He has them but not the seals for the shaft, so new master cylinder being delivered tomorrow..

100_3820.jpg

Time for new fan belts...

Tool I made for Neil last year for winding back the fan belt pulleys..

100_3841.jpg

Pulley wound back so belt can be removed

100_3843.jpg

100_3842.jpg

Two new belts... Job done..

100_3844.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Dang looks like you need Mini me to do some of the jobs down in the hull .... Or I m guessing normally the entire drivetrain would be hauled out with a crane and worked on a special stand ?

Seems an old blanket and or pillow would come in handy for some of the sharp edges he's having to lay across.

Edited by abn deuce

Couldn't bleed the brakes today as the union wasn't ready... Neil told me last night that they had repaired it, I had my doubts so went with Neil to collect it... they had shrunk an insert into it & brazed it on then cut a new thread... when I said yo the engineer that it would never stand up to 2,000+psi he said he thought it was for a fuel union, why don't people listen:argh: anyway they are making a new one as we originaly requested..

Like I said yesterday - the light at the end of the tunnel keeps turning out to be an express train going in the opposite direction!! :argh: :argh:

Praying like hell now nothing else needs doing as the spares pot has been drained by the need for the new throttle master... :shake: :shake:

neil when it went back last time did they charge you for the work on the brakes and did they give you the spare belts that you paid them to change

Neil had the new belts delivered the other day... he had to buy new ones again..

Like I said yesterday - the light at the end of the tunnel keeps turning out to be an express train going in the opposite direction!! :argh: :argh:

Praying like hell now nothing else needs doing as the spares pot has been drained by the need for the new throttle master... :shake: :shake:

Dare I ask the cost?

Just in case I ever need one of course.

Dare I ask the cost?

Just in case I ever need one of course.

PM sent on cost...

Make sure you take the Prozac before reading the total thus far!!! :shake: :shake: :shake:

neil when it went back last time did they charge you for the work on the brakes and did they give you the spare belts that you paid them to change

Dave - no charge for the work on the brakes - but they only swapped one air pack over when I asked for both to be done (matching pair sort of thing as both mine were known good -ish).

The belts we took off today didn't look like the replacements that I fitted in 2007 - these were the ones I asked them to swap over & were only a few months old - the originals broke enroute to the Bunker Bash in 2007 and I fitted the new ones before the HHC Pageant the same year - so they can't have been on the vehicle much more than about 4 months before the prang.

Another day, another train..........

Got the throttle master installed and, eventually, the system bled through so we now have a working throttle. Master will need to come out again end of the season as it needs to be custom drilled for the hand throttle linkage.

Then Lee pressurized the air side of the braking system from a portable compressor and no major leaks were found, just a slow weep from one air pack Lee traced to one of the drain plugs. When Lee took it off the reason was obvious - damned thing was nearly sheared off!!!

So I picked up 4 new plugs on the way home as well as the re-manufactured banjo union.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring!!! :??? :???

One step forward... new throttle master cylinder fitted... as Neils said I couldn't fit the hand throttle lever as the was no hole for the rollpin & I didn't have a drill with me:argh:

100_3847.jpg

That's better.. nice clean fluid..

100_3848.jpg

One step backwards..the fractured air tank drain plug... you can it has been cracked for some time by the oxidation in the crack..

100_3849.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

:-D:-D

Another day, another train..........

Got the throttle master installed and, eventually, the system bled through so we now have a working throttle. Master will need to come out again end of the season as it needs to be custom drilled for the hand throttle linkage.

Then Lee pressurized the air side of the braking system from a portable compressor and no major leaks were found, just a slow weep from one air pack Lee traced to one of the drain plugs. When Lee took it off the reason was obvious - damned thing was nearly sheared off!!!

So I picked up 4 new plugs on the way home as well as the re-manufactured banjo union.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring!!!

I have my fingers crosses that it will be sunshine and :yay::yay::yay: :-D:-D:-D for you Neil !!! you must feel like that express train keeps hitting you.

Not a bad day yesterday... Brakes are now bled and we have a stiff pedal. But a problem reared it's head with one of the unions on an air pack - the washer would not seal and, of course, all the hydraulic establishments were closed for the after non. We tried some new sump washers but it was a no go. So back to Abbey Hose tomorrow to get yet more washers.

Now for the embarrassing bit... Remember the drain plug I removed that I thought was a bilge plug and Lee thought might have had something to do with the engine oil - well, Lee was right! :blush: :embarrassed: :blush: :embarrassed: It was the oil tank drain... And we poured nigh on 15+ litres of fresh oil in before the penny dropped...... :shake: :shake:

Fortunately there was enough left in the drum to register on the dipstick so I need to get hold of 3 gallons of SAE 30 oil tomorrow as well.

Other plans for tomorrow are to hook the fox onto the winch cable and pull it out then try and get the hydraulic winch to work and wind it in under tension. Should be fun! :shake: :shake: :shake:

And we poured nigh on 15+ litres of fresh oil in before the penny dropped...... :shake: :shake:

I must point out that I asked Neil several times to look if anything was coming out & I pointed out that it must be going in somewhere as it was not rising on the dipstick, but he was adamant nothing was leaking... You will find Neil tomorrow clearing up 30lt of old & new oil that was dumped on the field:coffee:

The problem on the hydraulic side is a minor one that will be sorted in 5 minutes with a new copper washer..

We did have one more leak yeasterday, an air leak in the cab & it took a while to trace it. It was on one of the wiper motors, the o-ring on the air union had just turned to dust, located new o-ring at the local motor shop.

OK - change of plan today; the other piston seals arrived on Sat morning so Lee decided it would be best to rebuild the rear callipers rather than wait till the end of the season as we'd originally planned. As you will see from the following photos it was a damned good thing we did so!!

Cooked piston boot seals:

Stuffedbootseals-1.jpg

Stuffedbootseals-2.jpg

Heating up a seized piston to remove it:

Heatingthepiston-1.jpg

Heatingthepiston-2.jpg

Dirt in the pots and mucky fluid:

Dirtinthecalliperpots-2.jpg

Dirtinthecalliperpots-3.jpg

Dirtinthecalliperpots-1.jpg

Dirtinthecalliperpots-4.jpg

The callipers came apart fairly easily - even the little boot retainer screws were not too much of a problem - but one piston was well and truly seized in and, as you can see from the photo's above, required the application of heat to get it out. Once out all the components went through the degreaser and then were reassembled using the new seals and then refitted tot he vehicle. We just got this done and the wheels back on before the heavens opened up this afternoon. Tomorrow we re-bleed the brakes, replace all the split pins, replace the boot on the throttle slave, finish tensioning the belts and sort the winch/cable out - and then, hopefully, all is done!!!