Stalwart braking system & other bits

There is not another union above it, you have to remember that the pressure it that pipe is very high, we messured it at 1100psi, (should be about 2,200psi) so when the brakes were applied it sprayed everywhere...

Not sure if mineral oil (OM13) strips paint like brake fluid does? so is it Mineral oil or Brake Fluid in the system??? I do know it's very contaminated with crap, water & who knows what else...

You could always conduct the taste test. Brake fluid is quite distintive. If it turns out to be brake fluid you'll have to replace all the seals that have come into contact won't you?

If it turns out to be brake fluid you'll have to replace all the seals that have come into contact won't you?

That's what is being done just to be on the safe side... as seals are not available for the master cylinders they are being replaced with new complete units..

You could always conduct the taste test. Brake fluid is quite distintive

I think it would have a quite distinctive taste what ever it turns out to be

I think the excitement was all a bit too much for Neil...:coffee:

DSC_0125.jpg

Couldn't you have just but some chocks under the wheels? :D

I've got say that Stalwart engine bay looks quite clean, what we can see from the top anyway. Might be a different story lower down in the dark recesses though, just like under those cab floor panels.

You could always conduct the taste test. Brake fluid is quite distintive. If it turns out to be brake fluid you'll have to replace all the seals that have come into contact won't you?

Jus' pokin' me nose in............. Another quick way of finding out what sort of fluid is in the brakes is to tip some on the ground and pour water on it. If it washes away then it's normal brake fluid. If it don't.......... its sumfink else. :-D

Couldn't you have just but some chocks under the wheels? :D

Too funny:rofl:

I've got say that Stalwart engine bay looks quite clean, what we can see from the top anyway. Might be a different story lower down in the dark recesses though, just like under those cab floor panels.

& they say the camera never lies:coffee: have another look in a couple of months when the paints fallen off...

Now for a Very Serious oversight (Negligence) by the "Restorers"

On lifting the engine decks to gain access to the airpacks I immidiately spotted that fluid had been leaking, on closer inspection I found the union from the air-pack to the front N/S caliper was undone & had been for some time, as you can see from the effect the fluid has had on the paint. Infact it was undone by 4 complete turns & easily moved with the fingers...

DSC_0088.jpg

You can clearly see that the union is undone by the clean visable threads..

DSC_0085.jpg

thats frightening :shocked::shake:

Mark :cool:

DSC_0125.jpg

I'd like to say it was a case of finding somewhere quiet to go count to 10 before the anger exploded!! :argh:

Really though - we noticed a considerable amount of water in the lower hull that should not have been there. I thought the drain plugs had been left out as is usual practice with these old girls. However the centre and rear plugs were still in!! And hadn't been removed in some time...

The centre plug was the usual type so with the 5/8" Allen key normally kept in the cab and the application of Lee's big hammer I finaly got it out. When it came free Lee thought I'd removed the engine oil drain 'cos what came out was thick, stinking and black, not the clear water we'd seen looking down from the top. Went to remove the rear plug - only to find the wrong one had been fitted. Normal plugs need the 5/8" allen key whereas the rear one was about 7/8" and was caked with sealant around it. Removing the sealant crap produced a slow weepage of the water in the hull so we need to get a larger allen key to get this plug out - and pray like hell they haven't b*gg*r*d the threads up so the standard one won't fit. :shake:

Other thing today - Lee had the lower hull plate used for access to the winch loosened off to see if we could get at the master cylinders from below. Turned out you can't - but looking inside the winch cable is a right birds nest thats going to need sorting out and more importantly it looks to have thrown over something at the back - I have a nasty feeling it might be one of the hydraulic hoses and have penetrated it somehow which would account for losing the hydraulic fluid from the main reservoir behind the cab's rear wall. :shake:

Yes, I know it's off topic, but:

I'm sorry to say but the shoddy state of this repair means the orginal re-builders should be prosecuted and prevented from leaving someone else with a death trap. I think trading standards would be interested to hear about the company involved.

Seconded. I think you should be counting your lucky stars that with all the different things that've been left in a dangerous state that you haven't been killed, or seriously injured an unlucky road user. If it's too much to ask that they even use the right size / thread bolts (!) then I wouldn't let them within a million miles of my brakes! :shake:

It certainly sounds like they should be prevented from working anything more complicated than a spoon. I'm glad you're finally finding all these flaws before they bite you!

Stone

DSC_0125.jpg

Neil, I know your miffed over this 'Problem', but. You didnt have to let Lee drive over you take your mind off it for a while!!.........:rofl:

Seriously though, The problem I can see if you go down the 'Prossecusion Road' is. Too much time has elapsed since you had the 'Repair' done by 'The Restorers'. And also, it's a long way from thier permises. The variables here sadly are many. 'Anyone could have done that to the vehicle after we looked at it', 'We never left it like that' (Denial) & Top of the List as I KNOW the owner would say. 'If you bring it back in EXACTLY the same condition as you got it from us. We will have a look at it'. Your Bu**ered there Mate! But if that is one of thier 'Normal' trading practices, SOMETHING needs to be done!

I wish you well with your Post Mortem! :thumbsup:

Neil, I know your miffed over this 'Problem', but. You didnt have to let Lee drive over you take your mind off it for a while!!.........:rofl:

Seriously though, The problem I can see if you go down the 'Prossecusion Road' is. Too much time has elapsed since you had the 'Repair' done by 'The Restorers'. And also, it's a long way from thier permises. The variables here sadly are many. 'Anyone could have done that to the vehicle after we looked at it', 'We never left it like that' (Denial) & Top of the List as I KNOW the owner would say. 'If you bring it back in EXACTLY the same condition as you got it from us. We will have a look at it'. Your Bu**ered there Mate! But if that is one of thier 'Normal' trading practices, SOMETHING needs to be done!

I wish you well with your Post Mortem! :thumbsup:

I know - been though all this with the wife. :shake: And add to this it was all done as cash payments (for obvious reason) so there is no effective record of work done/payments made from the side that would count. Plus that all thats left of my spare cash (still no sign of any work on the horizon :cry: ) is now tied up in getting her back to normal - I couldn't afford to start any sort of legal proceedings.

What I do intend tol do - after we've finished and I know exactly what we had to do, how much was spent, what errors we've found etc. - is to document this all in a formal letter and send it to those concerned, If I get a positive response from that - all well & good and it will be made known. If I don't - then those who know the vehicle also know who did the work..........

I guess this blog serves/will serve two useful purposes:

1) People who own Stalwarts will now know what the story is in totally rebuilding the braking system - potentially useful for the future as people are still buying them after previous owners havel put brake fluid in the reservoirs. So everything we've done will be of use in this case.

Once we're done I'll put all the stuff into a document so that it's easily readable and will act as a reference guide. Unlike the EMERs which seem to "avoid" the awkward bits.. :rofl:

Like - the book says "undo three bolts to remove master cylinder" (paraphrased) - nothing is mentioned of the fact you cannot actually SEE the bolts or that there is a dirty great steering ram in the way and that the hydraulic pipes to this will need to be removed to get the master cylinders out! :rofl:

2) As a warning not to trust businesses overly much unless you personally have a good reason/grounding to do so. I went by the perceived reputation - never again!! :cry:

• Like 1

Don't want to rub salt into the wounds & I have never had any dealings with the people who did (or didn't ) do the work to the Stalwart - so I cannot speak from personal experience - but I have always been under the impression that they never did have much of a reputation .

Don't want to rub salt into the wounds & I have never had any dealings with the people who did (or didn't ) do the work to the Stalwart - so I cannot speak from personal experience - but I have always been under the impression that they never did have much of a reputation .

They have a reputation alright dave! But it's not one that you could put into print! :argh:

Could only spend a short while on the brakes today... stripped down the automatic drain valve on the sensing take...

Now we know why it wasn't working... the rubber wasn't seated properly either...

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

The drain valve is completely different to the one show in the EMMERS? the one here is very simple,the one in the EMMER looks a lot more complicated:confused:

Autodrain-downvalve.jpg

Could only spend a short while on the brakes today... stripped down the automatic drain valve on the sensing take...

Now we know why it wasn't working... the rubber wasn't seated properly either...

The drain valve is completely different to the one show in the EMMERS? the one here is very simple,the one in the EMMER looks a lot more complicated:confused:

I suppose we should have expected to see this - given what we poured out of the tank after removing it....:(

that is disgusting, and these were supposed to be engineers that did this work?

Mark

No comment! :argh: :argh: :argh:

The thing is, anyone advertising theselves or a buissness in any feild, if you go to them they have a proffesional duty of care. You as customer are relying on their 'best advice and practice' if they fall down , especially on saftey related matters, then you should sue. The small claims court can handle , if I remember correctly claims up to £5,000. This is a civil matter so unlike a criminal matter can be insured against. I know this C*** as I have to have negligence insurance for my horse work.

AND no Degsey, touch wood mate, never had to claim on it! :-D

Finished cleaninng out the sensing tank today.. over an hour poking inside with a bit of bent wire & a gallon of paraffin to flush it out it's as clean as it's going to get...

Here's just some of the crap that came out today, haven't a clue what the biggest lumps are...:confused:

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

Lee - you are doing an amazing job, hats of to you. And to Neil too - think I would of been a broken man by now.

Would apprecite it from everyone if we were to steer away from the name of the business involved. Thank you.

Jack.

Lee - you are doing an amazing job, hats of to you. And to Neil too - think I would of been a broken man by now.

Would apprecite it from everyone if we were to steer away from the name of the business involved. Thank you.

Jack.

Ahead of you there Jack mate. :)

In the best interests of the forum we have scrupulously avoided any mention of names in the postings and will continue to do so irrespective of temptation!! :)