Stalwart braking system & other bits

That's definitely an overdue bit of maintenance!

The filter number 2544600 cross references to Fram number CH869PL1. They are available for less than a fiver. Click on this link.

http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=amgafr2oakfhv7ihjeb4antgc3&keyword=ch869pl1

Hope this helps.

OK - we have an FFR-CH869 filter delivered today!! Just need to sort out a fitting time now!! :)

Oh well - one step forward - two back as the saying goes.

As of today we have the hydraulic tank refitted ans the filter + connecting lines. Unfortunately once we'd done all the unions up we noticed the large dia hose from the tank to the winch pump had a bad twist in it - and we could not release the hose enough to get rid of it without having to break the seal on the tank union again :-(

We checked the oil that had been left to stand for over 2 weeks on the assumption it would settle out into good oil, water and muck - as it turns out a wrong assumption - the whole lot is still cloudy and contaminated so it's going to have to be 75 litres of fresh ISO-10 oil.

All the pins in the brake pedal linkages now have the split pins in - these were left out in case we needed to strip the whole lot down again.

Then we came to the odd fan pulley. The pulley faces are designed to spin on opposite threads to turning the pulley one way opens the gap, removing tension form the belt whilst turning the other way closes the gap increasing the tension. Direction of rotation should mean the pulleys are thrown in the separation direction using the 4 retaining bolts/studs to stop it.

Not this one!!! For some reason when the engine is running this one defies the laws of physics and tightens itself over-stretching the fan belt. It had gone so tight we had to sacrifice the fan belt AND remove the pulley assembly as the two pulley halves were so tight together they would not separate!! So we had to remove the whole pulley assembly for Lee to take back and use his vice etc. to try and operate them.

Oh -and we found the fuel sender and disconnected it - the fuel gauge still swings to max deflection though so the issue is not with either the oil or petrol tank senders. Whilst in the cab Lee also sucked the old oil out from the steering ram with a syringe and length of flexi hose. God - what a state it was in. Need to refill that tomorrow - I think it's the equivalent of EOP220 that goes in there.

No doubt Lee will be posting the pics later one!!

Tomorrow we put some of the cab floor back and the first few feet of cargo deck once that winch hydraulic hose is fitted correctly...

thank heavens you dont have a crane on there, has to come off to work at the back of the cab area...

That's one of the reason why I opted for the 622 version!! :) I'm not that daft - despite appearances to the contrary! :rofl:

Anyways - 4 drums of oil arrived today and - to the other half's immense disgust - are occupying the front room floor till I get the Explorer back tonight...

All is now go for restarting work Tuesday morning!!

Rain stopped play today I'm afraid - mainly because:

1. Neither of us wanted to get soaked by the drizzle and rain that hasn't stopped all day.
  2. Enough oil has been spilt on the standing & climbing surfaces to make standing/climbing in the wet an unacceptable safety risk.
  3. We didn't want to risk the £200 worth of fresh oil getting contaminated like the muck we just drained out!!

Hopefully the weather will clear tomorrow and we can continue!!

Well done Lee - possibly you deserve some kind of medal for the work you have done / put right ! No doubt there has been exchange of beer vouchers for your efforts but Neil must be a very happy bunny today . :thumbsup:

Well he had a big smile on while wizzing around the Bunker Bash fields.. Brakes, power steering, hydraulics & fan belts all now sorted...

Looking at the cab wiring for him on Saturday as a few of the instruments don't work properly & need to bolt the floor plates back down..

Only major job I can see now is sorting out the winch...

All ready for our H4H weekend at the end of the month..

You are with out doubt an inspiration to everyone on this forum Lee, :saluting: :yay::bow:

Only trouble is what the heck are we all going to read about now on the forum? :confused: :(

Don't say that - don't EVEN think that!! The last thing we want now is to find something else necessitating several steps backwards...

The look on Lee's face today when everything went more or less according to plan and nothing went wrong was priceless!! :):)

It was fun though - I can now turn the wheel just by using one finger and the brakes leave two nice straight furrows in the grass!! :):)

Other than the winch we have some missing bolts to sort out in the O/S fan assembly and the drain plug for the hydraulic tank to find and refit - just in case the drain tap decides to open enroute!!

The dodgy instrument is the combined fuel/oil level gauge - it swings to max deflection when the power is turned on - even with the tank senders disconnected. So we've not even got a rough idea of what's in the fuel tank... Seriously scary.....

The dodgy instrument is the combined fuel/oil level gauge - it swings to max deflection when the power is turned on - even with the tank senders disconnected. So we've not even got a rough idea of what's in the fuel tank... Seriously scary.....

Give it a tap with a spanner ;)

(or cup hands around the filler neck and stick your eye to it while rocking the vehicle like one of the contractors we got to drive our Bedford - this was after he tasted our coolant to check antifreeze concentration :shake:)

Glad to hear it's all sorted, it's been a long slog!

Stone

Give it a tap with a spanner ;)

(or cup hands around the filler neck and stick your eye to it while rocking the vehicle like one of the contractors we got to drive our Bedford - this was after he tasted our coolant to check antifreeze concentration :shake:)

Glad to hear it's all sorted, it's been a long slog!

Stone

The tank on a Stalwart is buried in the depths of the hull - and the fuel filler is about 4 foot long. Don't think any of those methods would work in this case. :):)

We disconnected the senders on the tanks - and the gauge still swung to full deflection when power was turned on so the thinking right now is it might be an earthing issue on the fuel/oil level gauge.....

Slog is not over yet - I still have what's turning into a VERY long letter to write to a certain company..... :sweat:

We disconnected the senders on the tanks - and the gauge still swung to full deflection when power was turned on so the thinking right now is it might be an earthing issue on the fuel/oil level gauge.....

Any idea how the gauges work internally? If they're of the type with a small bimetallic strip that is heated by battery current to move the needle, an internal short could cause this. In fact reading this it suggests that 0V going into the gauge would normally make it read full, so somewhere along the system something's probably shorted to the chassis. I assume it's not separately wired earth return...and that replacing the gauge and sender aren't an option. If you had spares you could 'just' swap them over to see if it's the wiring at fault. The sender might be stuck, but I guess not since you disconnected them at the tank end, so the fault is probably hidden deep in the middle somewhere :shake:

I'd probably progress by taking the gauge out of the instrument cluster and applying a varying voltage to it at limited current to see if I could get it to move in a reasonable way. If it works it's the wiring, and I'd probably run a new one rather than try and troubleshoot the old one!

Slog is not over yet - I still have what's turning into a VERY long letter to write to a certain company..... :sweat:

Good, God knows they deserve one...

Stone

Any idea how the gauges work internally? If they're of the type with a small bimetallic strip that is heated by battery current to move the needle, an internal short could cause this. In fact reading this it suggests that 0V going into the gauge would normally make it read full, so somewhere along the system something's probably shorted to the chassis. I assume it's not separately wired earth return...and that replacing the gauge and sender aren't an option. If you had spares you could 'just' swap them over to see if it's the wiring at fault. The sender might be stuck, but I guess not since you disconnected them at the tank end, so the fault is probably hidden deep in the middle somewhere :shake:

I'd probably progress by taking the gauge out of the instrument cluster and applying a varying voltage to it at limited current to see if I could get it to move in a reasonable way. If it works it's the wiring, and I'd probably run a new one rather than try and troubleshoot the old one!

Stone

Richard Notton is the man to answer this one - or possibly even Richard Farrant, both are members here but as I understand it the system is a form of wheatstone bridge thus not requiring a voltage regulator.

The system has a push button at the top of the dash - the feed wires from the oil and fuel tank senders both go to this push button. A third wire comes off the push button and goes to one side of the fuel/oil level gauge.

I think the other side of the gauge is connected to a +24v supply.

The theory is with the push button not touched the gauge shows the reading from the fuel tank, When you push the button in it breaks the circuit from the fuel sender and makes the circuit from the oil sender. Thus both levels can be checked without having to disturb the load beds. Useful when 5 ton of cargo was loaded! :)

I just found an older post from the Stolly group on Yahoo dealing with this issue. In it Richard N. says there should be an earth from under one of the thumb screws that clamp the instrument into the dash off to a known good earth. From memory only one (1) of the thumbscrews has been fitted (there should be 3) and there is no earth lead from it. What a surprise!! :argh:

So we'll give this a try and see if it helps!!