Stalwart braking system & other bits

I just found an older post from the Stolly group on Yahoo dealing with this issue. In it Richard N. says there should be an earth from under one of the thumb screws that clamp the instrument into the dash off to a known good earth. From memory only one (1) of the thumbscrews has been fitted (there should be 3) and there is no earth lead from it. What a surprise!! :argh:

Does it not ground through the chassis? Just remembered our Bedford manual mentioned the refueller variant had insulated earth returns, does this maybe hark back to the Stolly's UBRE days?

Stone

Only trouble is what the heck are we all going to read about now on the forum? :confused: :(

Well, a new thread that I would imagine will be a protracted series.

May well be seeing the letter to a 'certain company'. and the ensuing replies that they send back to Neil!!!...............:whistle:

should make for some VERY interesting reading!.....................:cool2:

Mike.

... that to tie up this thread you need to post a couple of images of the item in question in full operating order.

We've seen dozens of images of bits, how about some shots of the whole thing in one piece?

Gordon

... that to tie up this thread you need to post a couple of images of the item in question in full operating order.

We've seen dozens of images of bits, how about some shots of the whole thing in one piece?

Gordon

May be possible after tomorrow! :) Will take the cam-corder & camera tomorrow - just in case!

Only trouble is what the heck are we all going to read about now on the forum? :confused: :(

May well be seeing the letter to a 'certain company'. and the ensuing replies that they send back to Neil!!!...............:whistle:

Mike.

Heh - not sure Jack will have the disk space free on the server hosting HMVF for the length of letter!! :):):)

Mike.

Heh - not sure Jack will have the disk space free on the server hosting HMVF for the length of letter!! :):):)

That of course would be your letter Neil. I think the reply is likely to be more succint, two words........second one off:coffee::rofl:

That of course would be your letter Neil. I think the reply is likely to be more succint, two words........second one off:coffee::rofl:

Yeah - kind of what I'm expecting - at which point the whole thing goes public... :mad: :mad:

Yeah - kind of what I'm expecting - at which point the whole thing goes public... :mad: :mad:

Now THAT, i would be very interested in seeing! :cool2:

It's not like your making anything up Neil. There is documented publicly viewed evidence on this 'Project'.

It is a contencious issue due to timescales, age, producing docs from 'The company' stating what 'Restoration' was done Etc.

Word against word, BUT, SOMETHING positive should be offered back to you, surely?

I suspect what the final answer is going to be from 'them'. But, I empathise with your position & there should be SOME positive outcome for you. I sincerely hope.

Genuinely Sent, good luck to you.. :yay:

Mike.

Gordon

Since you asked nicely!!

BPS_2938.jpg

BPS_2928.jpg

Parked up in the "scrape" at the Bunker today!

BPS_3042.jpg

Oops - how did that one creep in????

BPS_3047.jpg

BPS_3048.jpg

Note the wet mud on the tyres!! We been rolling boys and girls!!

• Like 1

Looks like you've run into the back of the Landrover - are you sure you've fixed the brakes?

Absolutely!! She stopped exactly where Lee wanted her to!!! :)

Mind you - it was embarassing earlier - we were aimed right at a pristine '50's Riley and I had to stop and reverse as there was no room to make a full 90 degree swing. And NOTHING is bolted down in the cab - seat, floor plates, Forward/Reverse selector, nothing!! So I take her out of gear with foot on foot brake whilst I move the selector into reverse. As I do so everything slipped sideways slightly - just enough to take the pressure off the brakes... I looked up to see photographers and models scattering every which way, Lee frantically waving his hands and the Riley's owner looking like Armageddon was heading his way - which in fairness it probably was!!

One frantic stab on the pedal later and normality was resumed..:sweat:

Any ways this in one of the next jobs once the cargo deck and the rear cab wall is bolted back into place - one nicely tangled winch cable....

BPS_3020.jpg

thats a very odd place to park up Neil is that her permanent home in the 'scrape' why in a hollow, is there some reason for it and why the fox in there too, assuming it is a fox...

It's at the Nuclear Bunker where the Fox lives & some of my other kit... the MV's aren't usually left in the field but we are getting ready for this weekends H4H's event..

The field we're in is one of the fields we use for our Bunker Bash show... the hole is part of a display for the show... MV's were put in the hole for a photo shoot...

Neil's Stolly is there as it never made it home from this tears BB show in May...

I can see the sense in the added mud flaps, probably a legal compliance point, but is the orange flasher a legal requirement or just a good idea to stop high-speed pillocks rear-ending you?

(Shows how long it's been since I had any of mine on the road - ooops)

Gordon

I can see the sense in the added mud flaps, probably a legal compliance point, but is the orange flasher a legal requirement or just a good idea to stop high-speed pillocks rear-ending you?

(Shows how long it's been since I had any of mine on the road - ooops)

Gordon

Mud flaps are standard Stalwart equipment sir - not add-ons!! Some times the speed isn't all it should be on modern roads so we use the whirly beacon to let the pillocks know we are there... :):):)

Spent half a day down there again today - now all the load bed and the cab rear wall are bolted back into place. Fan belts were checked and - thus far - are holding position and the boot over the throttle slave cylinder is no in place.

Heater unit in the cab is dropped ready for replacing with the better one I scared off evilbay when it is delivered and we had a look at the fuel/oil gauge. For starters there were NO clamps holding the instrument in place! The mess that passes for a wiring loom under the dash was examined briefly then we removed the fuel tank sender. It was seized solid - so much for "the fuel gauge worked before we fitted the fuel/oil push button"!

I rang Richard Bannister and now we are waiting for him to call back to advise whether he has any in stock or not and if so - the price. If he hasn't then we will have to try and repair the existing one.

Edited by ArtistsRifles

We got on with the fuel gauge and neater unit today. Well - tried to as regards the fuel gauge... No matter what we did nothing would work and the wiring behind the dash is so chopped about it was almost impossible to trace the wiring as laid out in the EMER diagram. The sender unit seemed to be returning to earth rather than the gauge so the decision was made that, after the MV event this weekend we would re-wire the senders direct to the selector button and thence to the gauge. We will also try and replace the selector button with one that can be wired up outside of the dash before fitting as there is little room under the dash to remove the screws that hold the ring terminals in place once the selector button is fitted. Here are the pic's of todays work:

New heater unit as obtained from eBay

Stolly_3061.jpg

Old heater being removed

Stolly_3062.jpg

Refitting the fuel sender unit

Stolly_3065.jpg

Lee working on the gauge under the dash

Stolly_3066.jpg

The fuel/oil level selector button

Stolly_3067.jpg

Old heater removed

Stolly_3068.jpg

Once everything was - more or less -back in place we shunted the Bunkers ex-military bowser trailer around ready for the show at the weekend. We had to use Lees Landie to get it out of it's slot as using the Stalwart would have resulted in demolishing the scouts tents ans the toilet blocks. Once out we hooked it onto the back of the Stalwart and towed it into position facing the entrance to the show:

Stolly_3070.jpg

Stolly_3072.jpg

Stolly_3075.jpg

Stolly_3076.jpg

Stolly_3078.jpg

Stolly_3079.jpg

Stolly_3080.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mini-update - we were back over there today in the wind and rain - all we did though was bolt the cab floor back into place so the old girl can run down to Lakeside tomorrow for a fund raising event in support of the Help 4 Heroes" charity.

Then she goes back to her home down the Fort where all further works will be completed - we still have the winch to sort out, wiring up the fuel and oil level senders and finish bolting the heater into the dash panel. :)

OK - we now have had the first "long" run on the road since the rebuild!!

I'm pleased to say the old girl behaved impeccably in regards to the areas we had been working on and it was a very pleasant run down from the Bunker at Kelvedon hatch to the Tesco store at Thurrock lakeside. Thence back home to the Fort afterwards. :)

The day had the added bonus of raising a fair wedge of cash for the "Help 4 Heroes" charity. That part of the day went so well the people there were getting worried they'd have enough stock to last the other two events they had scheduled for the week. :) :)

Only drawbacks on little Maud were the headlamps not working at all - I suspect we may have disturbed the wiring when we had the floor plates up with the dip switch on as they were working before - and the bayonet holder in the O/S brake/sidelight holder fell apart halfway home. That's going to need a new light assembly. :-(

All in all a pretty good day and little Maud is now tucked away safely in her normal home at the Fort again. :) :)

• 6 months later...

Hi Neil,

I am in awe of the work you and Lee did. Why did you decide to have the work farmed out in the first place, you have proved to be more than competant enough to pull off a sterling refurbishing job, which you did anyhow?

Did you ever get around to writing that promised EMER replacement book on the brake system as mentioned in one of your earlier posts? I am interested in getting a copy if it is available.

How has your Stalwart been behaving since and has that winch been restored yet?

Don't leave us hanging.

Monty.

Hi Neil,

I am in awe of the work you and Lee did. Why did you decide to have the work farmed out in the first place, you have proved to be more than competant enough to pull off a sterling refurbishing job, which you did anyhow?

Neil passed me the spanners on the brake Job, I did all the work on the repairs to the brakes, the original repairs/restoration Neil had carried out by "That Firm" was agreed on as they "Talk" a good job & I didn't have the facilities to do such a big restoration at that time, that has now changed as we moved into a 3,000 sq ft unit yesterday :-D

Winch is next on the list, stand by for updates...

• 2 weeks later...