Stalwart braking system & other bits

At 12t and 6.8ish metres long, wouldn't it fit on a rigid like this one?

beavertail2s.jpg

I've never seen anything similar being shifted like that though...can someone tell me why it's a bad idea? :) (CofG too high, maybe?) There are tons of places that have them to move agricultural plant around so should be easier to get hold of (plus you only need C, not C+E).

Stone

At 12t and 6.8ish metres long, wouldn't it fit on a rigid like this one?

beavertail2s.jpg

I've never seen anything similar being shifted like that though...can someone tell me why it's a bad idea? :) (CofG too high, maybe?) There are tons of places that have them to move agricultural plant around so should be easier to get hold of (plus you only need C, not C+E).

Stone

Isn't it the width thats the problem?

Isn't it the width thats the problem?

Yes - and in more ways than one. :cry: :cry:

The OT is 2.9m wide with narrow tracks this means that:

1) Those rotten <censoreds> in VOSA/DVLA will not let me register it for the road (despite having regitered the other one that was converted at the same time!!) - a samiliar story to those who frequent the forum!!

2) It means what ever collects it needs to have an extendable width load bed and ramps.

Ah, gotcha. I hadn't seen it from the end but this pic makes it a bit more obvious. (Actually, isn't that your one? ;)) I'd assumed it was roughly the same pitch as normal vehicle tyres, those tracks are really skinny!

Stone

Yes - but they are remarkably good on snow and marshy ground though!! I think the title of the image in the URL gives it away :rofl:

http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/albums/Neils-Czech-Beast/0686_OT_90.jpg

You clearly can see there most of the work done as a result of the telephone conversation with VOSA - all of which on mine thus far is for nothing!! Two were converted at the same time to this specification, mine and Jason's - Jason got his registered but the stinking <censoreds> refuse to do mine!!! :argh:

However - we have wandered rather a long way away from the topic of a Stalwarts braking and hydraulic systems etc..... :rofl: :rofl:

You clearly can see there most of the work done as a result of the telephone conversation with VOSA - all of which on mine thus far is for nothing!! Two were converted at the same time to this specification, mine and Jason's - Jason got his registered but the stinking <censoreds> refuse to do mine!!! :argh:

Neil, Wouldnt this come under the heading of: Case Precedent? If they have registered one, & your is identical. Isnt that also Discrimination?

A word MOST Government departments are scared S=++++less about these days!.....:shake:

Mike.

Neil, Wouldnt this come under the heading of: Case Precedent? If they have registered one, & your is identical. Isnt that also Discrimination?

A word MOST Government departments are scared S=++++less about these days!.....:shake:

Mike.

Yes - but Jason is worried that if we push this angle they will simply revoke his registration rather than register both. I have to admit - it would be the sort of petty reaction I've come to expect from these clowns!!

Two seperate people today - 1 in the hobby and 1 outside (a bus restorer) suggested I look at getting a set of trade plates and transfer ownership to either the wife or daughter... What are the collective thoughts on this route???

• 4 weeks later...

OK - back to the grindstone temporarily...

Lee & I regrouped over at the Bunker this morning and made a start on the hydraulics issue. First off we drained the tank into 3 x 25 litre drums tha had contained ISO-10 oil before and nothing else. Oil was very milky suggesting water contamination so these cans will be left to stand and then, somehow, the water drained off before putting the oil back in the tank, Then the front bulkhead was removed followed by the rear wall of the bad to gain access to the hydraulic tanks and it's fittings. Once we could see the tank and it's fitting we removed the outlet for the power steering. At once the problem became apparent - the fitting has a mesh filter over the end of it and this was covered by a layer of creamy gunge about 1/16th" thick, No wonder no oil was getting down to the pump!! :shake: Lee took the pics and I'm sure he'll post them up later on so you can see what I mean. That's where we called a halt as it's obvious now the tank really needs to come out to be thoroughly cleaned - which means the front of the load bed will have to be removed as well to get it out.

I'm off to the US on Weds so when I get back we will finish removing the tank, give it a good blast with a steam cleaner and a flush out with a bit of petrol then refit and refill it. Hopefullly then all will be well. Lee did say to hope the Pump hasn't got burnt out due to a lack of oil!! What a cheerful thought!! :shake:

Whilst the tank is out I'll have access to the fuel sender so perhaps the iffy fuel gauge can be sorted at the same time!!!

We progress - slowly - but we do progress!!! :)

Lee took the pics and I'm sure he'll post them up later on so you can see what I mean.

& here they are...

hydraulic tank drain plug

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

Back of loadbed/cab removed to gain access..

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

The outlet filter.. now we no why the pump was being starved of oil

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

Nice clean filter..

DSC_0262.jpg

As Neil said, tank out when he gets back so it can be pressure washed.. there's all sort of nasty things in there:sweat:

• 2 weeks later...
Wow this must be the most complicated cargo transport vehicle ever employed by the MOD...Love the blog though...I take my hat off to you guys,you are the PROS.

I'd wait till after Monday before saying that mate - that's when we attempt to remove the main hydraulic tank and flush it out. Preferably without dropping it on our feet - or worse!! :):):)

Sounds like an idyllic way to spend bank holiday Monday to me, the other half would not allow me such luxuries as working on my beloved projects! Best of British,my friend although I honestly believe that your capabilities far outweigh any advantage that luck may bestow upon you...

I wish I was nearer because I would gladly give you a hand.

Best wishes,

Richard.

Back working on the Stolly this morning...

First job, Tank out...

DSC_1736.jpg

No suprise at what we found inside...

DSC_1738.jpg

DSC_1740.jpg

DSC_1741.jpg

DSC_1743.jpg

DSC_1745.jpg

DSC_1747.jpg

DSC_1748.jpg

Next to come out was the hydraulic oli filter, again not suprised at it condition..

DSC_1749.jpg

DSC_1750.jpg

DSC_1753.jpg

Anyone know if this filter is available of the shelf?

DSC_1754.jpg

Tank is now washed out & filter bits in the degreaser... as soon as we have a new filter element it will all go back together..

That's definitely an overdue bit of maintenance!

The filter number 2544600 cross references to Fram number CH869PL1. They are available for less than a fiver. Click on this link.

http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=amgafr2oakfhv7ihjeb4antgc3&keyword=ch869pl1

Hope this helps.

Silly question I know but..

Did the "professional restorers" do ANYTHING?

I usually read this thread open mouthed at the work you are doing to the old girl.

As far as I can see they did paint it, even that has started to fall off:coffee:

Silly question I know but..

Did the "professional restorers" do ANYTHING?

I usually read this thread open mouthed at the work you are doing to the old girl.

If you could actually see what we have to do - then your jaw likely would be on the floor!!! :shake: :shake:

At one point to day all 19 stone of me was standing on one set of grips whilst poor old Lee tried to undo the main outlet fitting for the winch take-off. It didn't work so - as you can see from the pic's - we removed the flanged fitting instead as well as the PTO pump end and Lee has had to take the entire length of pipe home to get the tank fittings off.

Again, from looking at the pic's, it's a bl**dy miracle anything hydraulic running from that tank worked at all. Especially the steering...... The winch outlet filter was 100% covered in crap just like the steering one was that we had removed before W&P and the big filter element in the steering systems return line had half dissolved. :cry: :cry: Also the rubber around the relief valve in the filter top housing has perished - you can just make it out in the 3rd pic from the bottom in post #157764. Not sure if we need to replace this part as well...

Thanks for the FRAM part number and the link to the filter source Davie!! :):)

Edited by ArtistsRifles