Non posting members?????????????

Swill1952xs

Recently I spotted a new members name while browsing the forum. I was really pleased as his user name was Mod Edit

He joined on the 9th of March, and hasn't posted any messages since joining. I was really pleased that we had another Albion owner on board, and was looking forward to seeing and hearing more about his truck. I enthusiastically sent him a pm and welcomed him to the forum, pointed out that he automatically qualified as a friend and was on my list of friends. I waited for a reply.......and waited.........and waited ......and nothing. No reply, no posts, no pictures..............absolutely nuffink.

My questions are.......... does this happen often?

Do people join the forum in the hope that there will be a sea of information and pictures of their treasure and then just disappear when there isn't?

I would have thought that having gone to the trouble of joining the forum; that he could have at least introduced himself or replied to my message and then disappeared. Posting on forums can be a little daunting if you've never done it before, and not everyone is going to be interested in what you have to say, but no doubt someone will want your opinion or share your interest.

If you are out there, Mod Edit stand up and make yourself known. :)

Edited by Marmite!!
removed members name

People will often join and then forget that they have done so, you will probably find in a couple of months they come back and introduce themselves as if nothing happened, depending on his/her options, they might have been notified about your message in which case they might reply.

Or they could be travelling overseas :-D

We have many members who join the forum, come on here often & don't join in until months & even years later... we don't pressure members to partake, when they are ready they will...

The message you left for the member member was a visitor message (unless you sent a PM too) a lot of members are unaware of the visitor message bit (which is visable to all) If you send him a PM (or already have) he will receive a copy via email...

I've editted out the members name to save him any embarrassment...

Edited by Marmite!!

I thought it was a very odd name, Mod Edit :D

Given that my email address on some forums I belong to is "DepartmentX@mailproviderdotcom" I wouldn't raise an eyebrow in reading "Mod Edit".

Many times people are looking for informations, maybe pictures of vehicles and the only way to have full access to all the infos is joining a forum. This is the most open, think about the EMLRA one where you need to log in to see the threads.

Then, since most of the people outside there aren't momomaniacs like us 8-) they go on on other interests and happily forget to belong to this (and many others) forum.

Andrea

I can possibly understand the Albion owning member joining this forum to find out more about Albions.............. I can also understand why he joined and didn't post either.

I have to confess to joining this forum to find out various things, and hoped this site was going to be dripping with information about Albions, mostly CX's perhaps, or older models.

You can imagine my disappointment with what I found.......... a worldwide forum and two Albion owners. I could easily have given up and turned my back on the idea and not bothered. Still at least I've increased the Albion content by 50%. Albion content and information wont increase unless someone starts the ball rolling by adding to it as I did. I'm glad I took the trouble as many of you have been most helpful with pictures and information; for which I'm extremely grateful. Cheers Dudes...er, and Lady Dudes. :kissoncheek: :thumbsup:

maybe folk join and find that they feel out of ther depth in a very expert swimming pool

the depth of knowledge on here is quite staggering

that said it is a very warm and helpfull place to drop in for a cuppa and a chat

i dont post to much as i am not an owner of a military vehicle whilst i do have a colection of jeeps i do have a very broad interest in all things military and love it here and i hope my posts have merit when posted

maybe folk join and find that they feel out of ther depth in a very expert swimming pool

the depth of knowledge on here is quite staggering

that said it is a very warm and helpfull place to drop in for a cuppa and a chat

i dont post to much as i am not an owner of a military vehicle whilst i do have a colection of jeeps i do have a very broad interest in all things military and love it here and i hope my posts have merit when posted

Think you've summed it up, v8 Bubba,.............I find this forum one heck of a friendly place to be, :)..........certainly there is non of the backbiting and general petty one-upmanship crap here that unfortunatly does seem to raise it's ugly head on another forum, I (very occasionally, now) log on too.

Think is,.............this friendly- ness also carries over to shows,......as anyone who was at Lee's place and Camp nuts, w&p last will agree with. :-D..........................not to mention Jacks (who said POODLE :cool2:) tea making skills......:???

Andy

Last year I met up with someone at a show I'd not met previously in person and he said - Oh yes - you're quite a prolific contributor to the HMVF aren't you ? I was more than a little taken aback as it hadn't really occurred that I could be described in that way . Like some others my technical & historical knowledge is limited but if I feel I have something of value or interest to contribute then I will or if the discussion is humerous I may also add my two pennyworth and hope that my slightly warped sense of humour is taken in good part , otherwise I tend to keep quiet . I quite often look at a couple of other forums - non MV related - and whilst the camaraderie on one is very similar to that found here , the back biting and general nastiness towards posters on the other , car related one , has to be seen to be believed .

I have a great appreciation for all the friends I have made here - many of whom are still virtual one's and for the friendly and welcoming attitude shown by one and all and also of the broadly tolerant manner in which the site itself is organised and run . Long may it continue .

Interesting thread. I joined, and eventually posted under "walk out to the Dak.....", and HAD to cease posting mid-flight, so to speak, for reasons which are partly my business and diddly-squat to do with anyone else. I come on here at least twice a week, so haven't left. First I will get myself into a position where I CAN post again, and then when I WANT to post, I will probably do so. I am aware my posts were quite popular, but events became outside my control, and that's all I want to say.

It is also nice that I wasn't hounded in any way. That is because of the sort of people and the kind of Forum it is. As has already been observed, it is probably the ONLY Forum not to conspire to vilify it's members in some way. I'm sure the Mods will ensure it stays that way.

So my message to Swill1952xs is...... don't frighten the horses. Some, (but not me), are more timid than others, and yet they swell the numbers and thereby propel and grow this Forum simply by just signing on to have a good read, and swelling the number of "hits", one of the several yardsticks by which Sites/Forums are judged.

Remember, there are three simple rules for ensuring a good landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are....................

Weeell.......... There's a hell of a lot of new posters on here at the moment..

......... was it something I said. :-D

All I can say to those wanting to post, and are a bit wary of doing so is that I know next to nothing about most of what is discussed and shown on this forum, although I've learned an awful lot in the last six months. I often worry as to whether anyone will be interested in what I have to say, or whether I will be criticised for my comments, but I do try to make valid and sensible contributions to the forum. If I can do it, so can you.

The other option is to ask if there is something you want to know. Someone on here is bound to know the answer. :)

Nice to see old friends back though!!:-D

When the internet was young, my favourite football-related message board was entirely open. I started to use the name Alien when somebody pointed out what Neil A spelt backwards. The FTM was added when we famously beat Newcastle in 1999 and cost Ruud Gullit his job.

I had a number of other personae depending on the message content, including "Caption Competition Sub-editor", "Uncle Albert" (for when I was pulling up a sandbag and swinging the lamp) and so on.

One lunchtime I was having a deep and meaningful conversation with a guy using a single persona. In between-times I was replying to other threads using other personae. Then I replied to this guy using the wrong persona. "Hoy, don't butt in: I am having a private conversation with Alien here."

I had to confess my sins. His response: "I have just lost a dozen friends in the course of a lunchtime." It made me laugh.

I was just about to send a link to a thread on this forum to a friend, and then realized that unless he registered to join he would not have been able to see the directly uploaded pix, only the Photobucket ones. Maybe this is why a lot join but do not post at all.

I was just about to send a link to a thread on this forum to a friend, and then realized that unless he registered to join he would not have been able to see the directly uploaded pix, only the Photobucket ones. Maybe this is why a lot join but do not post at all.

I did the same on another forum I'm a member of, and found that if I wasn't logged on here, I couldn't view the pictures either. Dooh :???