Trailers

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

truckbarrow003.jpg

truckbarrow001.jpg

truckbarrow002.jpg

My wife bought this ex military thingy from Ramco, not knowing what it was. They called it a truck barrow, but I am lead to believe that it was a vehicle trailer used by airborn forces and could be used behind Champ/jeep/ Land-Rover etc.

More info welcome. Including de-ciphering the code on the wheel??? please.

Edited by antarmike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Andy, you do have room. Just park the trailer where Daisy usually stands and then put Daisy on the trailer. That will take up no more space than just Daisy and you'll then have an upstairs/downstairs restoration project. :)

truckbarrow003.jpg

truckbarrow001.jpg

truckbarrow002.jpg

My wife bought this ex military thingy from Ramco, not knowing what it was. They called it a truck barrow, but I am lead to believe that it was a vehicle trailer used by airborn forces and could be used behind Champ/jeep/ Land-Rover etc.

More info welcome. Including de-ciphering the code on the wheel??? please.

Very nice piece of WWII airborne equipment. Hand cart/ wheelbarrow to be pulled by hand, not a trailor as such.There should be hooks at the four bottom corners where you could attach toggle ropes to assist in hand hauling.I have one and yours is only the second one I have seen in 20 odd years.Mind you I dont get about much.

Very nice piece of WWII airborne equipment. Hand cart/ wheelbarrow to be pulled by hand, not a trailor as such.There should be hooks at the four bottom corners where you could attach toggle ropes to assist in hand hauling.I have one and yours is only the second one I have seen in 20 odd years.Mind you I dont get about much.

I was led to believe that the kink in the handle, allows it to be hooked onto a towhook of a vehicle.

Granted there would be virtually no lock, before the corners of the trailer hits the corners of the Jepp/ whatever.

If this is not so, what do you think is the reason for this kink? It seems to make manufacture more difficult, and it doesn't make it any easier to manhandle, does it?

Andy, you do have room. Just park the trailer where Daisy usually stands and then put Daisy on the trailer. That will take up no more space than just Daisy and you'll then have an upstairs/downstairs restoration project. :)

Having enough trouble getting my Scammell bungalow finished thanks Tom ! :-D

It seems to make manufacture more difficult, and it doesn't make it any easier to manhandle, does it?

I've done, and still do, quite a bit of tube bending and providing this kink, as a handle, would be very simple and only add a few minutes to the production time. One would probably make this bend first, then bend the two corners.

I think the designer added this additional bend to stop one's hand from sliding along the tubular rail at the either end of the cart and to enable the cart to be steered more easily. I can't envisage this cart being towed by a vehicle's tow hitch for the same reason as you.

I was led to believe that the kink in the handle, allows it to be hooked onto a towhook of a vehicle.

Granted there would be virtually no lock, before the corners of the trailer hits the corners of the Jepp/ whatever.

If this is not so, what do you think is the reason for this kink? It seems to make manufacture more difficult, and it doesn't make it any easier to manhandle, does it?

The kink in the handle at both ends is to allow a toggle rope to be attached to either pull or restrain the basket when going down hill, so I was informed by ex airborne vet. He didnt think they were ever used in theater but were seen into the 1960s on the airborne base carrying a variety of kit from place to place.Nevertheless a rare and interesting airborne piece of WWII kit.

The Podvalnik P50 used on with the Tatra 813 is very similar to the Rogers 45 Ton, there are two heavy duty chains that go from the trailer end of the A frame to two large hooks either side of the Tatra chassis. These chains can be shortened to prevent the turntable rotating too far while reversing. Very tempted to modify my recovery trailer the same way.