Trailers

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl::rofl:Love the rear wheel arches, they should get a few cyclists on left handers....:shake:

Oh a dream come true!!!:trustme: Funny enough if the thing is fitted with more than 16 seats, yes, I could drive it. TheBendy bus, otherwise known as the Swan Vesta, are strictly a tractor unit and trailer. :banana::banana:

Radiomike is correct with the Wynns description this image has gone to John Wynn via Pat Ware after their joint series in Classic Commercials, it is taken about 1953 in Woolwich Arsenal and is loading a a railway gun chassis presumably for scrapping. john wynn confirms the drag is the biggest they had and had been used to take the steam engine to the festival of Britain in 1951.

The rest I had no idea what they are so thanks all for your input.

Radiomike is correct with the Wynns description this image has gone to John Wynn via Pat Ware after their joint series in Classic Commercials, it is taken about 1953 in Woolwich Arsenal and is loading a a railway gun chassis presumably for scrapping. john wynn confirms the drag is the biggest they had and had been used to take the steam engine to the festival of Britain in 1951.

Not quite, the 110 ton loco was taken to the Festival of Britain site using the same girders but with solid tyred bogies, the gun is being moved with the bogies and swan necks from the 200 ton trailer. Diamond T on the front and a Pacific pushing on it's first time out.:)

scan0001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Here's another picture of a surviving Queen Mary trailer:

http://marksmiltaryvehicles.fotopic.net/p58607366.html

Not sure what those wings are, but they sure must suffer from being outside. The trailer as well, come to think of it.

Hanno

Most of the external exhibits at Eden Camp are in my opinion bes described as weathered.

Their Explorer is in my opinion a disgrace and most of the rest is rusting away fast. I saw the Queen Mary, and yes that is rusting away too.

Now thats interesting Robert as to look at it it shows none of the usual characteristics of a mobile welder

cheers

Les

Just found the Instruction book. It's an 18kw Mobile Alternator model 30CP, manufactured by H.E.Nunn in Manchester. The book is not dated, so I have no indication of a manufactured date. Also, there are no Military references in the book, so I presume the alternator is Civilian, but it is suited for a WD towing hitch.

Alan

Your pictures of the limber and gun are excellent - is there any way I can obtain full size copies?

In fact I understand this is the No. 26 Mk 1 limber specifically for the 4.5 inch howitzer. There are occasional shots of it with the BEF, including on Pathe news clips. I attach a low res scan, I think from a kit instruction leaflet, to show the different shape.

Les's plan is of a No. 26 Limber which seems to have been the pre-war limber for the 18/25 pounders. (I have yet to see a single picture of such a limber with the BEF.)

No 26 mk 1 plan.jpg