Rodents - a timely reminder

N.O.S.

Once the sugar beet are lifted, quite a few rats will be looking for winter lodgings. I've just been repairing some rodent-damaged Autoar wiring, and it got me thinking - any good ideas for keeping them away from wiring / seats/ canvas?

After suffering rat damage I always store canvases in mouse-proof metal cupboards over the winter, but it IS a bit of a nuisance.

DSC01054.JPG

I have a 1 year old Jack Russell terrier dog (called Monty) and I would like to 'introduce' him to ratting. If anyone in the Reading area needs Rats caught, I will bring him along. At present he rips Dog toys to pieces - a standard tennis ball would last 15 minutes with him.

A Nun (don't ask) once taught me how to get rid of rats. Smash a bottle up into small pieces and then mix the glass with loads of pepper. You then put this mix into their tunnels entrances. They then try and dig their way out of the tunnel because of the pepper during which time they shread their feet......I tried it - it didn't work!

Running a stables as you can imagine Rats everywhere. We couldn't use poision with kid's about and livestock so it was airguns and terriers, though a bit like trying to empty a pond with a leacking bucket.

One night staying on the yard with a sick horse, very hot only me and ex there so sleeping nacked. Middle of the night urgent pressure on bladder, so up I gets, stuck on a pair of shoes, no socks or laces and wanders to the place of easment. Just contemplating the world when the biggest rat you've ever seen pops out from behind the toilet. I yelled, (Well you would wouldn't you?) at which the terrier woke up and comes hairing into the littlest room, and it was about to get smaller. Rat sees terrier takes off at warp sped round the walls, Terrier goes in pusuit. me in the middle in full flow. So I'm trying to keep on target rat is doing wall of death round the place terrier is trying to cut it off. Terrier eventually gets rat, all stops, what passes for calm returns, where is ex in all this? Rolling about nearly wetting herself laughing. Don't like rats!.

If you want to see rats - take a cruise through Seven Kings of a night-time! The rubbbish bins in the side roads from the take-aways and restaurants are full of the damned things. We ran over one in the explorer - ye gods, you should have felt the thud and bump as the wheels rolled over it...

Made me mind up there and then I wouldn't go walking down those streets of a night!!!

Rats dug/ate through the concrete floor in the garage. Council pest control got rid of them, but said if we had problems with rats, they would continue to dig atthe same spot, even after filling in with new concrete.

Said the only way to stop them would be to mix broken glass and chicken wire in with the concrete mix for the hole.

Only other way I can think is to electrify everything....thought of that once for our back fence to deter other scallies...but missus said it would be dangerous for our kids...oh well!