Rotinoffs

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that in one of Andys pictures above (post 25) I am sitting on the trailer talking to Dave Weedon,how we didn't meet up I don't know:confused:

Mark Walkers' Rotty on the way out on Sunday evening, they look bigger on a trailer:-D

img1232kl0.jpg

Just noticed that in one of Andys pictures above (post 25) I am sitting on the trailer talking to Dave Weedon,how we didn't meet up I don't know:confused:

Mark Walkers' Rotty on the way out on Sunday evening, they look bigger on a trailer:-D

img1232kl0.jpg

Makes the volvo (no small lorry) look rather tiny mate ! Once again thanks for taking the time to post ! Being there for a few days you certainly get to see some interesting displays ! I would have liked to see the tank being lifted myself ! :-D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Its funny how some threads come in like a rocket and when they roll off the bottom of the first page and even the second for that matter they seem to fade away, bit sad really. Anyway here are a few more Rotinoff photos

Do you call the top photo a Rotinoff when it was one built by Atkinson, and carries their famous "A" rather than the Rotinoff "Sword"?

Hopefully we have done it again and will be bringing three Rotinoffs back to the GDSF playpen, 2009. Tony Jordan's is back together after its disasterous Diff failure.Hope to see you down there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ex Swiss army Rotinoff+trailer+Centurion on Milweb, £90k!

Perhaps the one in post 7?

It certainly looks like it! Have tried to email the contact on Milweb to see if they will just let the Rotinoff and trailer go without the Centurion.... Email bounces, no such address..... Doh!!

Anyone want a Centurion.....??

Did I say that Tony Jordan has got fed up playing Scammell Scarab in the back of a bus. He has booked his Atlantic into GDSF this year, so providing mechanicals hold out we should have my Antar, Walkers Rotty, Dave Weedons "sunters liveried" Rotty and Tony's one.

Also have Graham Booth's Pickfords Super Constructor and his newly acquired PUC 475 Constructor amongst the Heavies. Also Steve Guest's S26, Colin's Landtrain, a new this year Karl Nurse's Mk3 Milly. "The Pheonix" Martian of Bob Rowland is due as is Andy "Ironsides" 44 Ton Douglas 4x4 monster. I am not going to list everything, you'l have to come and see us!

• 5 months later...
Surely that exhaust isn't in the normal place. I swear all the ones I know have the exhaust coming up between the back of the cab and the ballast body. I don't like the look of it coming ouit under the step!

Have a look again Mike, there is a pair of exhausts up the back of the cab but nothing seems to be coming out from there. Maybe there is some different legislation in Switzerland governing where the exhaust exits which the owner has had to comply with ?

John.

Hi there it may seem like a silly question to ask but which is the better machine, Thornycroft Antar vs Rotinoff Super Atlantic? The reason I ask is because the Swiss military buy the best irrespective of price. Was the Antar banned from export?

Your views, gentlemen please.

Antar was trialled against the Rotty by British army. They decided on the Antar.

I seem to remeber a few Rottys were bought by South Africa, they didn't like them and quickly sold them to the swiss.

The Altlantic is underpowered verses the Mark Mk 3, (The Atlantic was also underpowered compared with the Mighty Antar C6T) but the Super Atlantic was more powerful than the mk3. The British Army had some trouble with Kirkstall forge backaxles overheating when running the power of the C8SFL though them. Thornycroft did not want to put the C8SFL in the Antar, They were happy with the C6TFL as the biggest engine. I personally think they were right and the C8SFL was too big for the Kiskstall axles. The Super Atlantic with the C8 TFL has yet more power running through the same axle and I feel this is asking too much of the axle.

The general opinion was that the super single rear tyres on the Rotty's did not give as good a grip as the dual rear wheels of the Antar.

I reckon the Antar was the better machine, (and so thyought the South Africans and the british Army.)

I think the swiss went the rotty route because they could get some cheap second hand Atlantics from the South Africans who found them wanting....

Edited by antarmike