Rotinoffs

I thought the GR7 Atlantic had the C6SFL at 275 BHP?

The Super Atlantic had the 8 Cyl

Although some site quote the C6SFL at 250BHP, stating the Atlantic was also available with the C6TFL at 275 BHP.

My Antars C6TFL is rated at 300 BHP.

Edited by antarmike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of web sites say both the and the Super Atlantic are GR7's I feel this is wrong, and due to so little accurate information for a very small company, once someone has got it wrong and posted on the internet, then it spreads like wildfire.

I can't find much about South African Army Rotinoff's but Tony Jordans GR7 I remeber being told was South African, then Swiss. (I hope my memory is right)

Edited by antarmike

No my mistake

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2009/08/the-roaring-rotinoff-brochure.html

from this sales brochure the Atlantic AND the super Atlantic were both called GR7 by Rotinoff

To add to the confusion Super Atlantic brochure says engine is C8SFL at 335 bhp, option available C8TFL at 400 BHP.

Edited by antarmike

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

... I think it's time to reopen this thread again.

The Swiss Army had 3 Atlantics and 7 Super Atlantics. As far as I am aware, not more than 1 Rotinoff was bought from the South Africans, along with 100 Centurions and 10 Centurion ARVs (I did quite some research in our national archives). The others were bought directly from Rotinoff. There's a lot of correspondance on the problems the Swiss had with these huge machines.

Here's the official technical data from a Swiss manual:

Atlantic and Super Atlantic

And here's a Swiss website with some additional information:

Atlantic and Super Atlantic

22_atlantic_cent.jpg

26_atlantic.jpg

27_atlantic.jpg

Edited by zemsi
added pics

Thanks for the new information mate , what where the main problems that the Swiss experienced please ? :-D

... well, mainly the gearbox (the gears changed automatically under power), different engineparts and aggregates (generator, air compressor, brake system, clutch etc). At the end of 1964, the 10 Rotinoffs were improved for each CHF 12'000 (without material). And also the Rotinoff Company was very slow in delivering requested parts and also sent the wrong parts...