Leyland Martian Gallery

• 2 months later...

This Martian has been shown on this thread before (post #4 on the 1st page). It seemed to be parked in the same spot for years but a while ago it disappeared and was replaced by a more modern vehicle. Fearing the worst, I was determined to pluck up the courage and knock on the door of the house where it used to be parked. The chap there was really friendly and told me that he still had the Martian, and two Diamond T's. They were on his to do list. The Martian was in need of an electric lift pump, does anyone know of the whereabouts of one? It still has the Rolls engine fitted, and runs lovely. It was moved from the front of his premises, around to the yard at the side where it is pictured below. The owner has had the Martian since buying it at Ruddington in the early 60's. In his words it isn't too good at recovering vehicles, but was used more for winching plant out of the mud on various building sites. I couldn't get down into the yard to inspect the vehicle too closely or ascertain the Military number as there were dogs running loose. From what I could see the entire vehicle still looks very purposeful albeit that the cab seems more patches than original metal!

LeylandMartian.jpg

Edited by Simon Daymond

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right....er don't want to sound stupid but i have a question:confused: The truck has extendable outriggers for lifting duties over the side. So what is the reason for the a frame support on the jib? I have also seen it used over the rear. is it just for safety? to relieve the load on the derrick ram? or only used to support a load for a period of time or are they needed to bring the crane up to full duty. Just wondering. Anybody got a load chat for on of those cranes? Love the Explorer in the background too.:)

Right....er don't want to sound stupid but i have a question:confused: The truck has extendable outriggers for lifting duties over the side. So what is the reason for the a frame support on the jib? I have also seen it used over the rear. is it just for safety? to relieve the load on the derrick ram? or only used to support a load for a period of time or are they needed to bring the crane up to full duty.

Robert,

The stabiliser legs to ground increase the lifting capacity, ideal to lift a casualty and back a trailer under it.

Here is the Jib SWL on all duties;

Spring locks only ; 10ft rad = 2.7 tons 18ft rad = 1.5 tons

Spring locks /all outrigger jacks; 10ft rad. = 5.4 tons 18ft = 3.0t

All outrigger jacks and jib to frame support stays in use; 10ft =10t

Spring locks and jib stabiliser legs to ground (rear) ; 10-15ft = 10t

Spring locks and jib stabiliser legs to ground (side) ; 10-15ft = 6t

Suspended tow with jib to frame support stays ; 4.25t

Robert,

The stabiliser legs to ground increase the lifting capacity, ideal to lift a casualty and back a trailer under it.

Here is the Jib SWL on all duties;

Spring locks only ; 10ft rad = 2.7 tons 18ft rad = 1.5 tons

Spring locks /all outrigger jacks; 10ft rad. = 5.4 tons 18ft = 3.0t

All outrigger jacks and jib to frame support stays in use; 10ft =10t

Spring locks and jib stabiliser legs to ground (rear) ; 10-15ft = 10t

Spring locks and jib stabiliser legs to ground (side) ; 10-15ft = 6t

Suspended tow with jib to frame support stays ; 4.25t

Richard, you missed out this configuration - jib/frame support only! Don't try this at home.

scan0003.jpg

Richard, you missed out this configuration - jib/frame support only! Don't try this at home.

Ah yes........the "how not to do it" !

I do have a photo somewhere of a Recy Mech I knew, doing a lift over the rear with out spring locks in, he had a glass of beer in his hand and as the vehicle leaned over the beer spilled out of his glass.........now is that what you call a Spirit Level ? :-D