Two passenger seat backs

Air pressure gauge

Low air warning light

Trailer Brake valve

Transfer box knob

Steering Wheel

Turret insulation

Welder (no just kidding):rofl:

Bob thinks thats the lot but if anything else comes up we will post it.

:tup::

Bobs Leyland Martian - the shopping list !!:coffee:

Windscreen and frames top and bottom driver and passenger

Passenger side quarter light window

Near side rear sliding window

These need to come from a recovery not a cargo or artillary

Also ...

Switch Panel

Dash Assembly - speedo etc.

Two air wiper motors

Two passenger seat backs

Air pressure gauge

Low air warning light

Trailer Brake valve

Transfer box knob

Steering Wheel

Turret insulation

Welder (no just kidding):rofl:

Bob thinks thats the lot but if anything else comes up we will post it.

:tup::

Unless you know of a recovery Martian being broken....which I understand you do.... the most difficult parts to source on this list maybe the window frames. Everything else shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm still waiting for the bloke who may have a N.O.S. dash available to get back to me but I have been told that one of the spares dealers I recommended to Bob also may have new dashes available.

Woolies may be able to help with window frame rubber extrusions. They will send you a free catalogue.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-14-rubber.aspx

Hi. I'm new to the site today and have been sitting here for ages going through these wonderful pictures. Shame about that burnt out one - the owner must be broken hearted. Just wonder if anyone could answer a question about the Martian I've often wondered about. When I was a kid in Liverpool in the 50s I lived virtually next door to a TA artillery regiment which was equipped with the Martian, and I was able to watch them go off each weekend past our front door towing their guns and radar trailers. As the Martian was only issued in the 50s, why did it quickly get relegated to the TA? I joined the army in the late 60s and the only Martians I ever saw were REME wreckers. My brother in-law was a reccy mech in the 70s and told me the one he had for a bit in BAOR broke down pretty regularly. What was the problem with them?

Mike,

The FV instrument panel was standard item I think, just checked the Martian list against Humber 1 ton and they are same part number, the switchboards are much the same, there are minor differences in their appearance, but functionally they are the same. With Ferret, Saracen, Champ, etc all sharing the same items there are spares around.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Austin-Champ-Daimler-Ferret-432-Speedo-Instruments-FV_W0QQitemZ160309398947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET?hash=item160309398947&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

What was the problem with them?

Hi Bonzer, welcome to the forum. To save me typing it all out again see post 38 on this thread and post 3 to see a photo of mine. With 1200 miles on the clock and 6 brand new tyres when cast it was about as good as they get, even my wife enjoyed driving it:shocked:

Mike

Thanks Mike. What a shame the series turned out to have so many problems as, along with the Antar I thought it was the best looking British truck the army ever had. Saw the REME version in action quite a few times and thought it was pretty effective. I've just retired so I'm set to visit as many shows as I can get to.

I had one prob during my ownership of martian , that was seized up transfer gearbox. When I swapped it was talking to an ex reme mech , and he said always startup and put transfer in neutral and and main box in 4th and warm up for about 5-10 mins before driving especially in cold weather, to get the oil pumped round the gearboxes as they were pressure fed bearings etc . I followed this advice and never had any probs with it , including having to tow a loaded antar that blew a clutch . The vibration with the replacement transfer box fitted was almost zero , I usee to travel at about 3500rpm if on a long tow , but if hurrying to a job then just below rev limiter . MPG worked out at about 3 to 5 (petrol) . brakes were a bit poor after standing for a while due to rusting , but soon polished up . Steering was quite light, if you maintained the accumulators at max pressure . Its a full synchro main box so easy gearchanging . Another strange thing is the front diff was slightly higher ratio than rear, (to enable climbing out of ruts and giving good steering response off road) because of that it should only be put in low low on highway if absolutely necessary as wind up is pretty severe, front tyres will actually tear up tarmac . :nono::-D

I had one prob during my ownership of martian , D

It's great to hear of these first hand experiences.

Many years ago I saw a number of in service Martians, beside the road, at intervals, along the A303 all appeared to be suffering from overheating with clouds of steam coming from the front end. It was a hot summers day but it wasn't that hot.

Another strange thing is the front diff was slightly higher ratio than rear, (to enable climbing out of ruts and giving good steering response off road) because of that it should only be put in low low on highway if absolutely necessary as wind up is pretty severe, front tyres will actually tear up tarmac . :nono::-D

A very neat solution - and in any case FWD is not really of much benefit on hard surfaces unless trying to change direction. I wonder if any other vehicles used/use this feature? My work vehicle (Bedford MJR) is the same, simply by virtue of the rear tyres being so much "flatter" due to axle loading :-D

A very neat solution - and in any case FWD is not really of much benefit on hard surfaces unless trying to change direction. I wonder if any other vehicles used/use this feature?

Yes, mk1 LR Freelander with permanent 4wd and centre (viscous?) coupling. Apparently so that it drives like a front wheel drive with the back helping when needed, but knowing LR they probably got their sums wrong:)

Edited by radiomike7
Brain fade

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Here some pictures of Doughty on the road to recovery.

Still looking for....

Air wiper motors

Switch panel - ignition, starter, lights - standard to most military vechiles

The wiper regulator valve

Trailer brake lever assmbley and valve

Passenger seat backs

Turrett padding

:coffee:

Bob is working very hard and hopes to have her on the rally field ASAP - he must have a serious lust for the rust !!:)

Bob1.jpg

Bob2.jpg

Bob3.jpg

Bob4.jpg

Bob5.jpg

Bob6.jpg

Hi - Here some pictures of Doughty on the road to recovery.

Still looking for....

Air wiper motors

Switch panel - ignition, starter, lights - standard to most military vechiles

The wiper regulator valve

Trailer brake lever assmbley and valve

Passenger seat backs

Turrett padding

:coffee:

Bob is working very hard and hopes to have her on the rally field ASAP - he must have a serious lust for the rust !!:)

Sorry in my haste to get these some are at interesting angles or maybe Bob was P**sed when he took them !!! It has driven the poor man to drink !!

I am sure you get the idea !!