Recovery and Towing

Tony B

Placing a log under the winch rope on the brow of the bank would help in keeping the rope up increasing the angle of pull and more importantly preventing the rope from cutting into the bank were it could possibly become damaged dragging over sharp stones and rocks.

Agree with that, but to really show off you could run the winch under the Iltis and pull from the back, remembering to set up a strop at the front to stop it flipping over backwards. How about using the winch to clear the stuff out of the way in the bottom of the washout, or at least rearange it so it could be useful. A bit of pick and shovel might also help.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sherman Beach Armoured Recovery Vehicle

Something went wrong...

A short film showing a Scammell Pioneer Tractor Heavy Heavy Breakdown 6x4 recovering a Churchill tank Something went wrong...

Edited by Marmite!!

Placing a log under the winch rope on the brow of the bank would help in keeping the rope up increasing the angle of pull and more importantly preventing the rope from cutting into the bank were it could possibly become damaged dragging over sharp stones and rocks.

Good sound advise Only things i would add is i dont know for sure what the vehicle doing the winching is but it looks fairlly big and has the winch capacity. So if possible i would have taken it a lot nearer the casualty. the winch is mounted high up and i guess a situation could have been achieved where the winch rope would have gone to the casualty with out hitting the bank. With my civillian head on i would have used the hook bridle i posted earlier i would have hooked on to the front suspension mounting pionts thus providing more lift. Lastly i would have asked the driver to stop trying to drive forward all this was doing was introducing shock loads to the rigging and the winch was coping with out him

Good sound advise Only things i would add is i dont know for sure what the vehicle doing the winching is but it looks fairlly big and has the winch capacity. So if possible i would have taken it a lot nearer the casualty. the winch is mounted high up and i guess a situation could have been achieved where the winch rope would have gone to the casualty with out hitting the bank. With my civillian head on i would have used the hook bridle i posted earlier i would have hooked on to the front suspension mounting pionts thus providing more lift. Lastly i would have asked the driver to stop trying to drive forward all this was doing was introducing shock loads to the rigging and the winch was coping with out him

Agree with that, far to much damage occurs when drivers think they are helping by revving the hell out of the stuck vehicle and spinning the wheels.

Sherman Beach Armoured Recovery Vehicle

Something went wrong...

A short film showing a Scammell Pioneer Tractor Heavy Heavy Breakdown 6x4 recovering a Churchill tank Something went wrong...

I thought the Army Kinematography Unit films were copyrighted? Could be wrong....

Edited by antarmike

You should contact the REME Museum & tell them then, it is they who posted the films on youtube.

I bought the videos when they came out and I am sure they clain to be copyrighted material...

In this sort of instance I thought a link to another site where the material was to be found was acceptable but actually posting the footage was a no no....Sorry if I have got it wrong....

Video I bought says Army Cinematography Services film in association with Vintage Commercial Vehicles Magazine. Copyright, all rights preserved, unauthorised publication..copying ... broadcasting of this program are strictly prohibited and in breach of copyright....

That is why I have never put clips onto the board.....

Edited by antarmike

I bought the videos when they came out and I am sure they clain to be copyrighted material...

In this sort of instance I thought a link to another site where the material was to be found was acceptable but actually posting the footage was a no no....Sorry if I have got it wrong....

Youtube give copyright permission to use material on their website by allowing embedding, if the poster does not want the material the leave youtubes website embedding can be blocked.

That's why youtube give embedding & sharing codes.

Edited by Marmite!!

Youtube give copyright permission to use material on their website by allowing embedding, if the poster does not want the material the leave youtubes website embedding can be blocked.

That's why youtube give embedding & sharing codes.

Yes that is the situation if youtube or the person uploading hold copyright, but I can't see how that relates to copyrighted material, where the original holder never gave permission for uploading, material that even youtube says should not be uploaded to their site.....

Yes that is the situation if youtube or the person uploading hold copyright, but I can't see how that relates to copyrighted material, where the original holder never gave permission for uploading, material that even youtube says should not be uploaded to their site.....

That's youtubes lookout, they give permission to use the material, it's they that have to confirm copyright, the material doesn't leave their website, it is still directly linked & can be pulled by them at anytime.

You can complain to Youtube if you think copyright has been broken http://www.youtube.com/copyright_complaint_form

Back on topic now please..

Edited by Marmite!!

That's youtubes lookout, they give permission to use the material, it's they that have to confirm copyright, the material doesn't leave their website, it is still directly linked & can be pulled by them at anytime.

Back on topic now please..

Okay, thanks, just checking a grey area in my mind....

Apologies if this has been posted already, shame Youtube has disabled the soundtrack & Embedding..

Prestatyn TA REME attempt to recover a stranded FV432

1 Locked track increases the resistance by 1/3 weight of the vehicle, indirect pull they were asking a lot of those anchor plates in that ground, as was shown when the excavator was dragged forward, easily overcome by splitting the track.

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags