Found in the UK

I thought i would post a few photos of things that have turned up in the UK. Anybody want to have a bash at identifying them? Incidentally, i dont know what some of these things are.

First one:

SA400243.jpg

SA400238.jpg

SA400237.jpg

DTA does present a clue, but it wont tell you what the truck is.

Tim (too)

Very good Alan. Well done. It is indeed a Dennis, but a smaller one than our three tonner. It is either a two tonner, or a fire engine, but many of the fire engine chassis were taken on by the WD and fitted with a GS body. This one interestingly has military pattern wheels, so its history is a bit uncertain.

The current owner has plans to restore it, but i think he is short of a number of parts which will make the restoration problematical. I beleive that this one was once owned by a Mr Harris of Portsmouth who has restored a number of other WW1 vehicles.

Tim (too)

Well you are quite right about the Thorny and the Ford. The rear wheels on the Ford look like they came off a piece of garden machinery (no idea what though). The owner of the chassis, which is just the chassis, axle and wheels thinks it is worth a pile and wanted £3,000 for it. I am sure it is still there.

Tim (too)

Great photos. The Thornycroft bearing cap is an unusual design. A lot flatter in shape and with the concaved ring also. This is quiet different to the versions of caps I've seen.

Tim, was there a chassis number on the dumb irons?

have you seen the pattern of bearing cap before?

Tyres look OK

Doug

How can you tell if the T is civilian or military - I didn't think they even had chassis numbers. The only differences I was aware of was between early and late models: something to do with lugs?

Oh, haven't twigged what the chassis with green wheels is yet. Drilled front cross member makes me think of Leyland, Locomobile & Morris Commercial, but discounted all of them. I'll probably kick myself when you tell me.

In the first batch, the one with yellow wheels, it could be an International. Compare and contrast with this example (which is an International despite the caption) taken at Canadian Forces Base Borden Military Museum, Ontario:

Well you are quite right about the Thorny and the Ford. The rear wheels on the Ford look like they came off a piece of garden machinery (no idea what though). The owner of the chassis, which is just the chassis, axle and wheels thinks it is worth a pile and wanted £3,000 for it. I am sure it is still there.

Tim (too)

Tim,

Those steel wheels on the Model T chassis, look something like those on the Paterson tractor conversions, for use on golf courses, parks, etc. They did do them on the T.

Tim,

Those steel wheels on the Model T chassis, look something like those on the Paterson tractor conversions, for use on golf courses, parks, etc. They did do them on the T.

I agree with Richard as we had a several Patterson tractors on Bournemouth Parks Dept befor the fuel scare of the mid seventies.

They still run a 1929 Barford rollerbut converted to diesel with the hole for the starting handle bored through the front of the Brass radiator:mad::mad::nono:

Ashley

Edited by ashley

Tim,

Thats interesting. I didnt know about that, so i have learned something new.

I dont know for sure that it was a non military Ford, but at no stage did the owner say it was military so i made an assumption. It could be anything, we will never know.

Tim (too)