fuel tank rust

Adam Elkins

Question

18 answers to this question

I used frost marine clean on one of mine, it seemed to do a pretty good job, but it might be cheaper to just get a big drum of degreaser. The nuts are a good idea though-or a lenth of chain. A rinse out with a phosphoric acid solution after that (to kill any rust) couldn't do any harm either.

In fact it's all here-I know it's an advert, but if you shop around for similar chemicals, I'm sure it would work out a lot cheaper!

http://www.frost.co.uk/how_do_i_explained.asp?hdID=3

There are commercial cleaners and sealers about, though how good they are is open to question. I'd seriously thinkof a replacment. Then you know it's clean and fuel proof, and give it a good layer of paint before it is fitted. Ask Catweazle, this is a common problem in marine situations, we have to find a use for him now he's back.:)

I used the Frost stuff on the C8 tanks. You wouldnt believe how much c**p had accumulated in them over the years. Used Marine Clean, then the Metal Ready, then the Fuel tank sealer. Never had any probs. They do it as a complete tank kit with all 3.

I thoroughly recommmend POR 15 as a fuel tank sealer. It can be obtained from Frosts. I can see right in to the MUTT tank and it still looks as good as when I first did it.

Nuts and bolts should be put in and shaken with oil, diesel or soapy water, not petrol!

- Mike

Marine Clean from Frosts is great stuff, we've been using it for years to clean dirt, oil and grease from vehicles and parts. It cleans up CVRT engine bays a treat! Not tried the tank sealant, but I have used the Metal Ready primer which comes in the sealing kit. Also great stuff. Mix it up in the right ratio with water and put rusty parts in it overnight and they come out looking like new.

Chris

Does the Frost stuff fill holes?

I have a spare fuel tank I am working on and it has a very small hole in the front face - about the size of the tip of a pencil. The hole is in a place that I cannot reach with my arm in the tank.

The tank sealer is great ,I've done a dodge fuel tank and it's been fine .I've also done a Jerry can and the came out great aswell.The key to using the Tank sealer is to get the tank or Jerry can warm first,I used a hot air paint stripper ,The warmer you get the tank the smoother the sealer will flow.

As mentioned before a little chemical metal to fill any small holes and you'll have great finished job.