Matador Gallery

You've upset me now -

That Ruston was bought by Bill Kemble, and I was due to take one of my Euclid R15s to Power in the Past to be loaded by it (as he was worried about the lack of opportunity to practise his driver would have had, and I wasn't worried about a few "dings" :-D).

I was half way through replacing the tipping hinge pin, bosses and body bearing pads when the show was pulled - possibly a chance in a lifetime gone west :-(

Hopefully there might be an odd private working event or two at some stage?

it took top speed from 31 to 39.4 mph approx (7.9/6.25) *31.2

But overall forward progress isn't much better if you are in the hills.

At only 95 BHP, you are changeing down quite often, and with the higher ratio diffs, you are changing down sooner, and of course your acceleration (strange word to use in connection with a MAT) is a lot slower...

I don't know why AEC dropped the ratio after the first few built. I have heard it suggested that it was because with the original Air over hydraulic brakes stopping wasn't brilliant, and reducing the top speed reduced the work the brakes had to do.

I have never driven Air over Hydraulic Mat, so I can't confirm.

Edited by antarmike

• 2 weeks later...

What stories could these lovely old lorries tell ? Photographed today "somewhere in Somerset".

It only hurts when I laugh.

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

it took top speed from 31 to 39.4 mph approx (7.9/6.25) *31.2

But overall forward progress isn't much better if you are in the hills.

At only 95 BHP, you are changeing down quite often, and with the higher ratio diffs, you are changing down sooner, and of course your acceleration (strange word to use in connection with a MAT) is a lot slower...

I don't know why AEC dropped the ratio after the first few built. I have heard it suggested that it was because with the original Air over hydraulic brakes stopping wasn't brilliant, and reducing the top speed reduced the work the brakes had to do.

I have never driven Air over Hydraulic Mat, so I can't confirm.

An ebay special for all you Matador racers: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AEC-Matador-High-Ratio-Differencials_W0QQitemZ220250791624QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220250791624&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

What stories could these lovely old lorries tell ? Photographed today "somewhere in Somerset".

It only hurts when I laugh.

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

Blimey,..............you've found a matador GRAVEYARD, there.

What a crying SHAME........

• 3 weeks later...

I note we have both the 0854 and the 0853 here on this thread, makes life easy when locating matador cabbed trucks. This interesting photo shows the 0854 coles Mk VII series 7 assembling a bomber in London for a display of military equipment, quite why they chose to place it the middle of a derelict building i dont know the space must be quite large to take the plane unless they did not assemble the outer wing sections anyone else have any details on this display

hmvf8.jpg

Just over the road from where I am sitting at work now, during the war. There was parked up a Spifire to raise funds for the war effort/ scrap metal drive. It wasnt a complete Spit though ist was just the cockpit and fuselage, no wings. Maybe its the same?

Just over the road from where I am sitting at work now, during the war. There was parked up a Spifire to raise funds for the war effort/ scrap metal drive. It wasnt a complete Spit though ist was just the cockpit and fuselage, no wings. Maybe its the same?

Rick you may be correct although I seem to remember the Lancaster was assembled in Trafalgar Square?? The quoted price for a new Lanc was £40k, and a Spit was £10k. I assume you are talking about Wolverton Works not Netto:-D