Matador Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
Yes a very complete 5.5, with the original 100Lbs projectile gunsight, not the later 80 lbs projectile one introduced to increase the guns range.

But the owner is a serving Gunner so you would expect it to be right!

On the want list. Trouble with Airfix as a kid.

8932468da04e6ca6d4c2c91058fc13d6.jpg

This is my Matador, although it was in timber since the early 70's it doesn't appear to have suffered the abuse many have, no chassis repairs or mods, even the winch overload cut out is still connected! Still got original 7.7 engine and the left turn sephamore is present and correct!

Has anyone got any pictures of it in military or civilian guise? It was based in the beds/herts area all its civvy life. Military reg was 86YY98 and its civilian number is UBP 106K.

I gather it was sold out of the forces in 1971 and was one of around 20 converted by a Mr Bob Ansell. Some of the other timber cranes pictured in this section have very similar cranes so may be from the same batch.

Also after a usable rear wing if anyone knows of one, as one side is present and correct the other is awol!

Great site and pictures by the way!

Regards, Ed

That looks a very nice timber truck, Ed. Quite a neat jib compared to some. Are you planning to keep it as a timber wagon? That will please a certain gentleman from Elmira Heights - he'll probably be along soon to make you an offer you can't refuse :cool2:

P.S. Are you going to introduce yourself in the section for newcomers? You know, chassis number, date of manufacture, any major modifications :-D

Edited by N.O.S.

In answer to your questions, yes I was planning on keeping it in its timber guise as it is quite a neat conversion and it quite useful for pulling out engines and cabs from other project vehicles, not that the winch is particularly suited to such delicate operations however I have a 4ton block and tackle which hangs nicely from the top pin on the crane. Probably not to everyones taste but if they all looked the same it would be boring. It won't be abused however!

As for the introductions page I hadn't realised there was one, I shall have a look for it.

Thanks, Ed

That looks a very nice timber truck, Ed. Quite a neat jib compared to some. Are you planning to keep it as a timber wagon? That will please a certain gentleman from Almera Heights - he'll probably be along soon to make you an offer you can't refuse :cool2:

P.S. Are you going to introduce yourself in the section for newcomers? You know, chassis number, date of manufacture, any major modifications :-D

He does mean the vehicle, I think.

8932468da04e6ca6d4c2c91058fc13d6.jpg

This is my Matador, although it was in timber since the early 70's it doesn't appear to have suffered the abuse many have, no chassis repairs or mods, even the winch overload cut out is still connected! Still got original 7.7 engine and the left turn sephamore is present and correct!

Has anyone got any pictures of it in military or civilian guise? It was based in the beds/herts area all its civvy life. Military reg was 86YY98 and its civilian number is UBP 106K.

I gather it was sold out of the forces in 1971 and was one of around 20 converted by a Mr Bob Ansell. Some of the other timber cranes pictured in this section have very similar cranes so may be from the same batch.

Also after a usable rear wing if anyone knows of one, as one side is present and correct the other is awol!

Great site and pictures by the way!

Regards, Ed

Have you got a chassis number for this one??

Can you confirm that it is on High ratio difs, (Rzeppa Joint) hibs ie is there a grease nipple in he centre of the Bollard caps on the front Axle?

You must be aware that there is a write up about Bob Ansell in Mud Men and Machines, by Maurice H Saunders pages 59-63...

Edited by antarmike

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding, you are correct number is ubp 108k my mistake! chassis number is also 08531136 as you point out. I have patchy history of it, first registered in april '72 and has only 2 recorded keepers before me on the logbook. One of these was Bedfordshire council which ties in with the yellow paint on it under the blue/green. It hasn't be taxed since 1981, the chap I bought it from never used it and it sat in a shed from the mid 1980's. Prior to that a guy left it in a field for a year after a job and prior to that it was seen in Claybury hospital grounds in the early 80's but I'm not sure they actually owned it.

What I can confirm is that she is definately not scrapped and in pretty good order all round, some of the timbers could do with replacing here and there in the cab (not surprising really) but mechanically and chassis wise all seems in good order, the whole chassis is still fully painted so corrosion is not an issue.

I believe it is on high ratio diffs as on her maiden voyage I "pushed" Dad along on a solid bar and was doing the best part of 30mph (indicated on speedo) in third. (Wouldn't pull 4th, although it was pushing 9 ton of Scammell highwayman).

Interestingly there are no greasers on the front axle hub caps, and I have noticed there is some speed difference between front and rear axle in 4WD on grass, possibly due to tyre wear but may be that someone has inadvertently put the wrong ratio axle on the front at some time. I need to dig around for a ratio which I believe should be stamped on the diff housing somewhere.

Haven't got a copy of that book but it rings a bell, will look out for it.

Regards

Ed

552f85a49fb8cbd864e8a5250afa1839.jpg

b91e0d00bb00cfba5742ae76e75f6fcf.jpg

Dont want to flood your website with photo's but these two shots show it from the front and rear. Note there are no greasers visible on front hubs.

Regards

A long way back in this thread I recounted an incident of replacng a front diff with high speed one by mistake on a Matador dumptruck front axle - easily done!!If you cannot find any ratio marks Ed, it wouldn't take long to jack up first a front wheel, then a rear, and count how many times the propshaft rotates for one wheel revolutuion in each case.