Condensation in the cab

67burwood

This is a problem that’s been around for years,  condensation inside the cab, if you don’t have covered storage and your military vehicle lives outside like mine, what can be done to prevent massive amounts of condensation building up and potentially rotting your vehicle, I opened the door of my wot6 today and it looked like the inside had been hosed down!! It’s no wonder these old vehicles just rotted away, someone mentioned about putting a small heater bar inside the cab which isn’t a bad idea but I am looking for some more cost affect ideas if possible???

• Like 1

Having had a bit of experience of this problem with vehicles in long term storage in far from ideal conditions .At one time eighteen in the reserve collection and cost been a major consideration and  safety SILICA GEL bags were used no it did not solve the problem totally but did reduce the effects . The only real solution is a under cover building and  controlled humidity but not many of us can go that far at best  try to help  the flow of air

• Like 3

3 hours ago, utt61 said:

I haven't tried them but I know that it is possible to buy giant absorbent devices for reducing condensation in shipping containers. They are designed to hang from the top lashing points. I imagine that they may help inside an MV.

👍 I’ll give that a Google and see what I can find out. 

26 minutes ago, john1950 said:

Absorbent in a spill kit can help and can be dried out. Even a tray of cat litter.

Another good suggestion, I’ll definitely look into that one. 👍

3 hours ago, utt61 said:

I haven't tried them but I know that it is possible to buy giant absorbent devices for reducing condensation in shipping containers. They are designed to hang from the top lashing points. I imagine that they may help inside an MV.

Possibly silica gel, if so it can be re-used, once dried out again.  Any supply of silica gel should work and can be dried out in the oven or just when stored in a warm dry place.

This kind of thing maybe.  2x 1kg Reusable Car Dehumidifier Condensation Moisture Damp Absorb Silica Gel 5037409111438 | eBay

If you can get industrial quantities as used in containers I am sure it would be more cost effective...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

Possibly silica gel, if so it can be re-used, once dried out again.  Any supply of silica gel should work and can be dried out in the oven or just when stored in a warm dry place.

This kind of thing maybe.  2x 1kg Reusable Car Dehumidifier Condensation Moisture Damp Absorb Silica Gel 5037409111438 | eBay

If you can get industrial quantities as used in containers I am sure it would be more cost effective...

Thanks for the link, I’ll order some and see how it gets on. 

1 hour ago, Citroman said:

I have one of those house moisture eaters in the car. It's a lot cheeper but, ou have to empty it sometimes. But it's a small car.

Could ventilation not help? Make something that can be put on top of the door windows.

I’ve opened the windscreens to allow a bit more air flow, hopefully that and some  silica gel will make an improvement. 

3 hours ago, 67burwood said:

Thanks for the link, I’ll order some and see how it gets on. 

I’ve opened the windscreens to allow a bit more air flow, hopefully that and some  silica gel will make an improvement. 

Better to keep it all closed up if using silica gel, an air current will just saturate the gel for no benefit. An enclosed space is best, maybe open it up once a week or so to swap bags around.

• Like 1

As far as i know some damp comes from the ground. You should isolate the car from the ground with a tarpaulin and then have some vents on the top that the warm air can escape when the sun shines. As warm air holds more water the water condensate at the cold iron parts when the temperature drops. As the plastic covers the cars the humidity (water) is trapped inside and has no way to escape.

• Like 1

Air flow is important but it is a round the vehicle if the vehicle is covered with a tarp it only makes the condensation worse because there is no air space l spent many hours learning about the problem of condensation on inside surfaces you want to see this in large aircraft wings  that are parked out side for years

Edited by wally dugan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

Better to keep it all closed up if using silica gel, an air current will just saturate the gel for no benefit. An enclosed space is best, maybe open it up once a week or so to swap bags around.

Point taken, I’ve ordered a pair of silica gel bags so I can swap them around.

1 hour ago, wally dugan said:

Air flow is important but it is a round the vehicle if the vehicle is covered with a tarp it only makes the condensation worse because there is no air space l spent many hours learning about the problem of condensation on inside surfaces you want to see this in large aircraft wings  that are parked out side for years

The truck is currently not covered in a tarp as surprisingly the cab is fairly water tight, I have a Jeep that has a tarp over it and the canvas hood is always damp due to trapped moisture. 

Chatting to my Brother on Boxing Day and he was saying they are storing his Jimmy outside at the moment and the condensation in the cab is awful. Mirrors your experience totally.

I have said to him about the silica bags so reading this I think he ought to try them.

2 minutes ago, Rootes75 said:

Chatting to my Brother on Boxing Day and he was saying they are storing his Jimmy outside at the moment and the condensation in the cab is awful. Mirrors your experience totally.

I have said to him about the silica bags so reading this I think he ought to try them.

Definitely worth a go, it was about £20 for 2 bags, my thinking is when one is full swap for the dry bag while the wet one dries out on the radiator. 

On 12/30/2022 at 2:38 PM, 67burwood said:

Definitely worth a go, it was about £20 for 2 bags, my thinking is when one is full swap for the dry bag while the wet one dries out on the radiator

I'm guessing you mean a house radiator not a vehicle.

As the bag 'dries' the evaporated moisture will go into the air - like drying towels on bathroom radiator or heated rail with door closed then condensation on windows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david1212 said:

I'm guessing you mean a house radiator not a vehicle.

As the bag 'dries' the evaporated moisture will go into the air - like drying towels on bathroom radiator or heated rail with door closed then condensation on windows.

According to the instructions you can dry on a radiator in the house but it recommends putting in the microwave for 6 minutes 🤔

They do sell solar car ventilators that you roll down a side window and shut these inside, mostly sold for venting heat, but they do help pull air through during the day which does help dry things out.

Otherwise, I agree that keeping the moisture from the ground coming into the vehicle from below is a cheap and effective measure.  I've seen many vehicles damaged greatly by taurping from above and that concentrating the moisture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teletech said:

They do sell solar car ventilators that you roll down a side window and shut these inside, mostly sold for venting heat, but they do help pull air through during the day which does help dry things out.

Otherwise, I agree that keeping the moisture from the ground coming into the vehicle from below is a cheap and effective measure.  I've seen many vehicles damaged greatly by taurping from above and that concentrating the moisture.

I’ll look into the solar car ventilator, the only problem I can see is at this time of year when it might be needed there’s not enough sunlight to power it. 

2 hours ago, 67burwood said:

I’ll look into the solar car ventilator, the only problem I can see is at this time of year when it might be needed there’s not enough sunlight to power it. 

They don't take all that much sun to get some movement.

Desiccant in bulk is some help, DryZAir sells 10-lb bulk packs and they do work.  Cost-effectiveness might depend on how well sealed your cab is;  https://www.drizair.com  Of course, it's just crushed Calcium Chloride, so buying that in bulk would be even cheaper.  Getting a 50lb bag of ice melt grade cc and pouring it in a plastic tub would absorb a LOT of water.  Just keep the dust off metal surfaces and don't breathe it.

• Like 1