10-Cwt.. 2 Wheeled Lightweight Stores Trailer restoration....Rebuild!

• 1 month later...

Milestone met…….

All the tin work now fabricated and fitted. 

Next stages, strip all the bins back down, clean off, another few coats of primer, then on with the top coat, 

I can then start to think about riveting these back together.
Any one on this forum that has experience with hot riveting…..? I have the best part of 1500 rivets to fit.. any tricks of the trade.?. 

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2479.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

• Like 2

I doubt that they were done hot as small rivets stay red hot for a very short time. If you have a SDS electric hammer drill you can use that (set to hammer only) for a job like this. It is not hard to convert a cheap plain chisel bit into a rivet set and you will need a very heavy 'bucking bar' to support the head of the rivet.The bucking bar needs to be adequately supported to avoid deforming the surrounding metal. It is critical that the rivets are exactly the right length to pass through the thickness of the plates and have exactly the right amount protruding to form a complete head. If the holes are oversize extra length will be needed to fill the oversize holes as the rivet will initially swell before the head forms. Practice will help you to get a feel for all this.

Have fun, David

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 3:34 PM, David Herbert said:

I doubt that they were done hot as small rivets stay red hot for a very short time. If you have a SDS electric hammer drill you can use that (set to hammer only) for a job like this. It is not hard to convert a cheap plain chisel bit into a rivet set and you will need a very heavy 'bucking bar' to support the head of the rivet.The bucking bar needs to be adequately supported to avoid deforming the surrounding metal. It is critical that the rivets are exactly the right length to pass through the thickness of the plates and have exactly the right amount protruding to form a complete head. If the holes are oversize extra length will be needed to fill the oversize holes as the rivet will initially swell before the head forms. Practice will help you to get a feel for all this.

Have fun, David

David, 

Great suggestion. SDS drill isn’t something I’ve considered 
Obviously little work to adapt. But I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. 
With regards to rivet length. Is there a specification based on material thickness vs what should should be protruding? 

• 2 months later...

Thought I would post a little update on progress on the stores trailer.
All the rubbish weather inside work only!! 

I’ve finally started the riveting.. the technique has been progressing. 
I started this with a traditional snap and set, using a hammer. Got about 20 rivets in and shattered the tool. 
As David’s suggestion I adapted SDS chisel bit, with the aid of a spark eroded, it did the job but due to the size of the tool plus drill mixed with the shape of the bins really struggled to get straight onto the rivet head.

So I have bitten the bullet and purchased a riveting tool.. which turned out to be a game changer. So quick and easy,

I’ve burnt through 800 rivets in two days. Now back on the hunt for more rivets to finish the job. 

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3854.jpeg

IMG_3853.jpeg

IMG_3957.jpeg

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3962.jpeg

Edited by Jerryjeeprichard
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, earlymb said:

That looks really nice, I wonder if this tool would work too for the smaller front rivets of a jeep frame (bumper gussets and grill brackets)? I guess getting an anvil at the back might be a bit tricky but not impossible.

That’s a good question. I have a number of chassis that need the gussets riveting on. I managed to buy the correct size rivets

I just don’t think the riveting tool  I bought has the power to push the head of the rivet over. I was thinking of adapting a hydraulic crimp tool to do this..? 

11 hours ago, Jerryjeeprichard said:

That’s a good question. I have a number of chassis that need the gussets riveting on. I managed to buy the correct size rivets

I just don’t think the riveting tool  I bought has the power to push the head of the rivet over. I was thinking of adapting a hydraulic crimp tool to do this..? 

Maybe one of these would do the trick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_gun#Squeeze_riveter

I guess it couldn't hurt to go around local metal fabricator companies and ask if they can help me with that, if I bring the jeep along with the parts ready to go on as I think they still use tools like these. What size & source for the rivets did you find?

• 2 months later...

Seem to be lacking some motivation on this restoration at the moment!!
I managed to pluck few hours this weekend. So some progress on the stores trailer. 

I have one complete locker now almost all riveted up. Literally just have the doors left to fit. 
Although to do this I need to purchase piano hinges, which are readily available. Just not in the specific sizes I need. 
I have found a company that will manufacture for me, just with a hefty price tag. 
So the question is bite the bullet, pay the price, or compromise and go for a similar Off the shelf hinge, at an approximately 1/3 of the price??

IMG_5416.jpeg

IMG_5415.jpeg

IMG_5414.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve by the bullet. 

I’ve found a company that have managed to replicate the original style hinge. 
Only difference is the thickness in material, ever so slightly thicker than the originals due to the availability of press tooling to handle the thinner material.  

Images below detail the last few days progress. 

IMG_5602.jpeg

IMG_5603.jpeg

IMG_5611.jpeg

IMG_5607.jpeg

IMG_5605.jpeg

IMG_5610.jpeg

IMG_5604.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpeg

IMG_5609.jpeg

IMG_5608.jpeg

• Like 4

The rivets on the blank sides on the hinges look so much better than if you had to use ready made hinges that were pre-drilled.  You have been able to put the rivets in the right place without having to leave or fill the pre-drilled holes.

Another fascinating project to watch and enjoy.

On 2/24/2024 at 11:51 AM, earlymb said:

Very nice job, do you weld up the hex holes in the bolts to make them appear rivets?

Ive been using M4 button head screws and nuts to hold the catches in place. Quick trial fit on the locker trailer to make sure they fit. Then I remove a nut and bolt (one at a time) and fit a rivet in its place. 

• Like 2

Some good progress this weekend. 

Aim was to get all of the drilling and riveting completed on one of the lockers, switch over and start the same process on the second locker. 

Seems we were blessed with some decent spraying weather this morning, managed to get it in paint and bolted back onto the trailer. 

IMG_5864.jpeg

IMG_5863.jpeg

IMG_5862.jpeg

IMG_5865.jpeg

IMG_5866.jpeg

IMG_5872.jpeg

IMG_5873.jpeg

IMG_5874.jpeg

IMG_5875.jpeg

IMG_5876.jpeg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...