10-Cwt.. 2 Wheeled Lightweight Stores Trailer restoration....Rebuild!

Though I would start a new thread. 

As the restoration of the 100 gallon bowser is nearing completion, i'm itching to start another trailer restoration. 

I have two worthy trailer restoration project lined up, the down side is the owner doesn't want to sell them... 😞. 

So i'm thinking...... of taking on something a little more of a rebuild than a restoration. 

Few years back (12 years) I bough the remains of 10 Cwt trailer, plan was to strip the useful bits, scrap the rest as it was beyond repair. 

Since then the trailer has been pushed under a tarp at the back of the yard until this morning. 

The trailer  is a 2 wheeled lightweight binned stores trailer, doesn't have massive value but is quite rare, So worthy restoring??? 

Not counting mine I know of another two originals and one new build.  I'm sure as this thread progresses there will be others. 

The pictures below show its current condition. 

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

• Like 5

Good to see another one being saved. Yours appears to be the no1 mk1 type with fixed front/rear panels.
Any dataplate still present?

We found this one about 7 years ago on the border of France/Spain. No idea how it got there but it's a July 1944 No1 Mk2 made by Orme & Evans.

Also attached is one of the only photo's of this type of trailer i could find in service during ww2.

270113830_635103607536640_4174504058522820260_n.jpg

270126865_477206860673253_7878187389286033408_n.jpg

59dcddc912044_trailerstore.jpg.ec29aafbf75984439c73adfd60eb31dc.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Niek Baecke said:

Good to see another one being saved. Yours appears to be the no1 mk1 type with fixed front/rear panels.
Any dataplate still present?

We found this one about 7 years ago on the border of France/Spain. No idea how it got there but it's a July 1944 No1 Mk2 made by Orme & Evans.

Also attached is one of the only photo's of this type of trailer i could find in service during ww2.

Hi Niek, 

Many thanks for the message, so pleased you have complete stores trailer, I may need you to help if possible??

I have a few construction questions. 

I've been pondering over which model mine is, 

My trailer at some point in time has been "farm modified" 

I guess these modifications have been made as the trailer started to rot and fall apart, the locker lids have all been removed on the left hand side, and plated over. 

Wheel arches added left and right 

The front end panel has been plated to fill the gap. 

Angle iron added to the topside of the trailer, fortunately this final modification has held the trailer together. 

The data plate is very very rusty, there are a few numbers, at this stage i'm not sure the best method to clean this up, without making it worse and loosing the numbers all together.   

5 hours ago, Niek Baecke said:

Ah, now i see the pictures of the front, yours appears to be a No1 MK2 too.
We're happy to help if you need any pictures/measurements.

There is the skeleton of the frame remaining inside the trailer, I guess my best option is to draw this up, then if you could help patch the blanks that would be much appreciated. 

Not the best pictures, but you can  just make out the remains of the frame work inside the trailer, you can make out most of the rivet holes. 

Additionally studying the construction it just looks like the bins are simply bolted to the chassis 

087.JPG

090.JPG

091.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi

This is from the 1949 Parts Manual W.O.5460

Cheers

Richardtrailer.thumb.jpg.aeb2dede16b8074e570d5fed3351e783.jpg

Richard, 

thanks for sharing this, I had forgotten this manual has details on the binned stores, I need to dig my copy out, from memory they had cutaway views. 

Interesting the picture above shows a smaller towing ring. Or is just perspective of the picture? 

16 hours ago, Jerryjeeprichard said:

Interesting the picture above shows a smaller towing ring. Or is just perspective of the picture? 

Hi

I think it just the perspective as I thought all 10cwt lightweight trailers had the same towing arrangement.

By the way you do you have copies of any of the Chillwell manuals that this manual supercedes, I am particularly after the one for the 100 Gallon trailer

Cheers

Richard

To my knowledge there were three hitch sizes 

The larger one we all know and see 3" Eye

Medium size one, 2"Eye 

Small one 1" Eye 

Whether or not these were all used on 10Cwt trailer I couldn't comment. Maybe someone with more knowledge knows? 

IMAG0481.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

IMG_0013.JPG

Edited by Jerryjeeprichard
extra pictures
  • Like 1

Spent this evening studying the trailer chassis,or whats left of it.............  😩

My anticipation was to strip, sandblast, replace the rotten parts, keep the chassis original  (or as much as possible). 

Its too far gone, sadly beyond economical repair.............. 

I do have a Plan B, which is a second trailer chassis, I purchased this again to strip of the useful parts.

I,ve never really studied properly till tonight.... The chassis is dimensionally the same of the binned stores trailer,  has the exact same frame configuration , even the holes on the trailer floor match. 

The data plate on this trailer just mild steel and not brass, which i though was very odd? Looks original to the trailer....  admittedly its in slightly better condition than the data plate on the other trailer which is mild steel too, So i'm guessing these are original..

I can make out the following characters.  

X6147 3 or 8 39

OE15039

S794 8 or 5? 

Is there any way of associating the contract numbers vs the contract numbers issued for the binned stores trailer? 

The chassis on the second trailer does need some repairs........ but generally very good.... near excellent.

IMG_E5651.JPG

• Like 1

Richard,

I've found several steel data plates (or their remains) over the years, manufacturers certainly didn't all make brass ones as seen on the Electrical Repair Trailer.

I think the "OE" number is Orme Evans contract numbering.

But they produced Binned Stores trailers on contract S7141.

X numbers allocated where: 5842857 - 5843196

Brockhouse also  made Binned trailers to several contracts, but their X allocations started with 4 or 5

Thanks John 

I’ve studied both chassis and the dimensionally check out exactly. Even down to holes drilled in the floor/ chassis.. 

What other trailers had the same chassis structure as the stores trailer 

And had a contract number S7948 or S7945? 

Is the contract data published anywhere to see what it should have been? 

Help! 

On 1/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, Niek Baecke said:

Ah, now i see the pictures of the front, yours appears to be a No1 MK2 too.
We're happy to help if you need any pictures/measurements.

Hi Niek

I will be starting the construction of the upper body over the next few weeks. 

I have a few questions

* I think i have enough of the original frame to dimensional piece back together, BUT, when I measure the angle iron on the frame, the bottom sections that bolt to the bed of the trailer look to be a heavier section than the uprights? Can you confirm this. 

* How is the wheel arch constructed I cant work this out. I've attached a picture of the trailer chassis, the chalk marks indicating the holes where the inner frame bolts down.... but how does this work with the wheel arch?

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5616.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

Can anyone help:- ?

I need to try an locate some of the brass latches, these would have been common on the generator trailers, welding trailers, maybe other vehicles of the period. 

I guess lots of these trailers will have been broken up for the wheels/hitches etc. 

I have four, although not in the best shape, another four will get me out of a fix, but eight in total would be fab. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png