DVLA - Register the owners address or where the vehicle is kept?

When we acquire a vehicle whether or not it is an MV, classic car or everyday vehicle, I guess that most of us register it with the DVLA using the address of the owner and not the address of where the vehicle is kept? Which is it that the DVLA require?  

In current times of Covid-19 and potential for local lockdowns, it occurred to me that if and when the Police had / have the powers to turn vehicles around that appear not to be from the area, whether vehicles should be registered where they are kept, if the owner happened to be in the lockdown area and wish to use the vehicle within the limits of the lockdown? Chances are that the Police would not be bothered but on the other hand any incident might raise a query and an accusation as to why you are in Somerset or wherever when you are a Londoner.

In recent years there are also local schemes relating to parking and council recycling centres  that are only open to locals and locally registered vehicles. It makes sense to register where the vehicle is kept but perhaps more difficult if it is a remote barn without a proper address.

The V5 shows the address of the keeper (owner) not necessarily the vehicle.

It would not be unusual to have the vehicle at another address, I'm sure the police are well used to that. Just show a drivers licence or other form of ID. They should show the same address as the vehicle, it may be an offence not to have the keepers current address for the vehicle.

2 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

might raise a query and an accusation as to why you are in Somerset or wherever when you are a Londoner.

If your a Londoner and you store your vehicles in Somerset that’s one heck of a commute 😂

The V5 should be registered to your home address or business address as the registered keeper ( not necessarily the owner ) and your insurance should be the same, if your vehicle is not stored overnight at your home address then you should advise your insurance company, if the Police wanted to check on PNC they could check your insurance to validate any information as to way you are in an area that you don’t live. DVLA aren’t interested in where your vehicle is stored, they just want to know where you are!!

2 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

When we acquire a vehicle whether or not it is an MV, classic car or everyday vehicle, I guess that most of us register it with the DVLA using the address of the owner and not the address of where the vehicle is kept? Which is it that the DVLA require?  

In current times of Covid-19 and potential for local lockdowns, it occurred to me that if and when the Police had / have the powers to turn vehicles around that appear not to be from the area, whether vehicles should be registered where they are kept, if the owner happened to be in the lockdown area and wish to use the vehicle within the limits of the lockdown? Chances are that the Police would not be bothered but on the other hand any incident might raise a query and an accusation as to why you are in Somerset or wherever when you are a Londoner.

In recent years there are also local schemes relating to parking and council recycling centres  that are only open to locals and locally registered vehicles. It makes sense to register where the vehicle is kept but perhaps more difficult if it is a remote barn without a proper address.

Possibly you should address your query to Dominic Cummins who seems to make up the vehicle  'lockdown' rules as he motors around the English countryside  ?

• Like 2
  • Up 1

my feeling is the dvla only need to know the address of the owner not where the vehicle is kept. They do this so they can keep Track  and inform owner and relevent authorities when there is need to contact owner. Nobody gives a toss where the vehicle is even the insurance companies only ask is it stored in a garage not were

• Like 1

The Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 says:

Offence of using an incorrectly registered vehicle

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, on a public road or in a public place, he uses a vehicle to which subsection (2) applies and in respect of which—

(a)the name and address of the keeper are not recorded in the register, or

(b)any of the particulars recorded in the register are incorrect.

Andy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andym said:

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, on a public road or in a public place, he uses a vehicle to which subsection (2) applies and in respect of which—

Andy

That's it in a nutshell.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:19 AM, cosrec said:

my feeling is the dvla only need to know the address of the owner not where the vehicle is kept. They do this so they can keep Track  and inform owner and relevent authorities when there is need to contact owner. Nobody gives a toss where the vehicle is even the insurance companies only ask is it stored in a garage not were

I have insured my vintage vehicles with various companies. The one I am with now was very specific that they had to know the address where the vehicles are stored as its not at my home address.

The previous company however, did not need the address as they said it was within a 3 mile radius of my home address.

Different companies, different policies.

47 minutes ago, andym said:

Andy

(b) above is interesting, as over the years I have several times had errors on the V5 which DVLA has been strangely reluctant to correct, for example, a green SAAB 99 which mysteriously DVLC (at the time) insisted was red and seemed incapable of correcting! 

2 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

I have insured my vintage vehicles with various companies. The one I am with now was very specific that they had to know the address where the vehicles are stored as its not at my home address.

The previous company however, did not need the address as they said it was within a 3 mile radius of my home address.

Different companies, different policies.

I remember renewing my car insurance and happened to mention during the week it was in a secure car park, they wanted the post code and for some reason the cost went up, almost as though the secured car park was more likely to have a break in

On 9/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, Surveyor said:

I remember renewing my car insurance and happened to mention during the week it was in a secure car park, they wanted the post code and for some reason the cost went up, almost as though the secured car park was more likely to have a break in

1 - Post code area of the car park being higher risk than home address and data / software not considering security

2 - data / software simply programmed to add a factor if vehicle regularly not kept at home address

3 - any excuse to bump up the premium

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My partner and I have different addresses.  He is the keeper and owner of his car but does not have a driving licence.   I am insured as the main driver and give my London address although the car is kept at his address which is 30 miles away.  I drive the car when visiting and it has a low mileage.  Increasingly insurers are reluctant to quote and the one that will has bumped up the premium every year.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, JMW said:

My partner and I have different addresses.  He is the keeper and owner of his car but does not have a driving licence.   I am insured as the main driver and give my London address although the car is kept at his address which is 30 miles away.  I drive the car when visiting and it has a low mileage.  Increasingly insurers are reluctant to quote and the one that will has bumped up the premium every year.

You should try insuring a second home.