Should I buy an Austin Champ????????

Snapper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno. I come on here for some good sound advice and off you all go at a tangent. I have one of my own: It takes me back to when I was a sixteen year old kid working in the Daily Mirror readers service. We used to get all the letters for the agony aunt Marge Proops and I wasn't allowed to read any with a red star stuck on them because I was under eighteen. Needless to say I only read those ones....and phwoaarr - the things people put in letters to total strangers. Now I'm thirty odd years older and enduring looking after the snaps for Deidre's Photo Casbook (aside from all the page three girls and bloody footballers). None of this gets me any closer to a decision on an MV and I have to sell the Iltis and buy a garage whatever happens. Oh yes, and the wife SWMBOAAC - already has a car - sometimes I'm allowed to drive it. She never wants to drive the Iltis - but favours a proper jeep. What proper is, I do not know. For fear of opening up a WW2 versus PW battle again (zzzz)I shall move on swiftly. Pass the Solpadene...

No buy a Dodge, that she will love, easy to drive and it does impress in the supermarket car park. If a school run is involved you are onto a winner the kids want to go in it and the front bumper is just right for nudging BMWs out of the way. The downside is if the DIY kicks in, no chance of the excuse 'We can't buy it , it won't fit in the car'. >:(

Mark, I think you have answered your own question, if you are not totally convinced in your own mind there is no point in asking others on here. :dunno: To be really happy with an old vehicle you need to be able to ignore its faults and foibles and be completely at ease with your choice, warts and all. ;-)

Go and have a good look at one...if you get that buzz of excitement you'll know you really want one....take a test drive.....if you come back grinning like an idiot you'll know it's already sold.....

Advice from a very poor man with a very full garage....and driveway.....and field........ :-D

• 1 month later...

I don't like the looks of a standard Champ.

I have owned a M38 once and liked it.

Derived from the WW2 Jeep but is better designed. Also rarer than a WW2 Jeep.

They were used in the Korea war so more possible warhistory.

And it is a Jeep....

The Champ is out. It's all academic because I still have the Iltis. A gentleman called out of the blue about it the other night, and although he said he isn't a member of HMVF, I am assuming he must have a line to it because he knew my name. It was all a bit odd really - but any interest is welcome. However, I haven't even put it on Milweb yet....

Not sure of where to go after the Iltis has moved on. I think I want something British and may even go down a path I thought would never appeal......Land Rovers. Being a spanner numpty I don't want anything difficult to play with.

The Champ is out. It's all academic because I still have the Iltis. A gentleman called out of the blue about it the other night, and although he said he isn't a member of HMVF, I am assuming he must have a line to it because he knew my name. It was all a bit odd really - but any interest is welcome. However, I haven't even put it on Milweb yet....

Not sure of where to go after the Iltis has moved on. I think I want something British and may even go down a path I thought would never appeal......Land Rovers. Being a spanner numpty I don't want anything difficult to play with.

Easy go buy a Dodge! Why people make such a song and dance when they KNOW the answer is soooo simple. :dunno: On the Britsh side get a Gipsy and a real smile!

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing about Champs I don't like is their handling characteristics in rough terain . The suspension setup on them gives a very vague feeling off road , you don't get an idea of what its going to do- e.g., tip over . In a Land Rover or Jeep , you fell every tiny bump and you know what it's going to do, but the Champ doesn't tell you when it's about to do something radical .

I have been in Champs , very nice on the highway , smooth and comfy . Land Rovers and Jeeps feel like a bucket of bolts on the highway , screaming / howling transfer boxes , but better off road . Depends on what you want to do with it .

Mike

Buy a Humber 1 Ton, or a Pig probably cheaper! same chassis and suspension design but bigger with a better carrying capacity, and you can sleep in it at a show, drive it across country without busting your spleen and wade in very deep water, with a bit of preparation, and they have the same length wheel base as a 109 Land Rover.

And while the Pigs, bodywork will rust, most of it is at least 6mm thick, so it could take a while!

Also the petrol consumption isnt that far away from the champs, and you don't need to MOT it as its over 3 Tons built before 1960 etc (Obviously you need to make very sure it is in Tip Top condition) and you can take all your mates to the pub in it!!

and you can take all your mates to the pub in it!!

sold. My mates would definitely love that idea. When I got the Iltis we were going to restage the Blue Max through Leigh On Sea using it and a Land Rover. We were going to play Snoopy versus the Red Baron and chase each other round the town. Maybe we should still do it. At Mil Od there was a superior little tableau with WW1 re-enactors doing a dramatised bit of Uptiddlyup stuff. I need a pickelhaube for Christmas.....

the guy pulled it before the auction ended.

There is one just been put up on milweb though...looks rough but is cheap.

Would you think that is worth a punt, if it does drive OK?

What are the specific areas to look for...I think Chris said the footwells/floor...anywhere else?

Is it easy to get hold of the tilt and bars to hold it all up?

Mick