Restoration 3 - 1943 James ML

flyingfleasteve

Steve, the ML (and Flea) gear-knobs were stained or painted black and then lacquered..............you can use shoe-dye to blacken the knob and then apply a coat or two of gloss yacht varnish. The latter takes a while to dry but the results are worth the wait. One of my ML's plus the Flea have the original-finish gear knobs and this was the finish........

Thank you Steve! Most appreciated!

I will post pictures of the end results! 

I am now turning my attention to the two last minor fabrication jobs, making the front and rear brake rods. I will need to buy some Dias to create the correct threads but struggling to find the thread sizes..... 

would anyone happen to have this information to hand and where I might be able to buy the tools for the job?

All the best 👍

I've been following your post whilst I finish off my own ML. I admire your attention to detail. I must say I'm a bit envious of how many NOS parts you've managed to find. I must have been looking in all the wrong places!

I see that you're wheels are done, did you manage to find serviceable WM0 rims?

P.S. I find Tracey Tools good for taps and dies.

Edited by Tom M

Hi Tom!

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated! I have been collecting NOS parts for this restoration for many years it always surprises  me where they turn up sometimes.

Yes, I found some suitable rims which look great, in fact I have an original rim and tyres but decided to keep them for display. Would be great to see some photos of your project😉

Thank you gents! Much appreciated.......it sounds silly but in the years I have been building bikes I have never used taps or Dias 😬 so my collection of suitable tools is non existent.

Would either of you happen to have a 1/4” with a 26tpi BSC thread also?

If it’s easier I am also happy to post the rod out for the threads to be cut?

Thanks ever so much!

If you're restoring British motorcycles, and I've been doing such for over 40 years, taps and dies are as essential as spanners, hammer, etc, in the tool department........they are essential for running over or through parts that have been subject to rust, plating, painting, etc, to clean the threads to ensure smoothness in fit. I even do it to new-old-stock parts just to ensure a decent fit.......

You don't need a massive stock of taps and dies......a basic set of 26 tpi cycle items are a good starting point, and you can add certain BSF, BSW, BSP and BA as time goes on.........many engine components use BSF or BSW, BSP for fuel and oil fittings, and BA for control levers, electrical, etc..........Autojumbles usually turn up loads of taps and dies cheaply, as does Ebay, etc......if buying new, Tracy Tools in Devon are excellent.....

I was fortunate to acquire all my Dad's tools when he passed away a couple of years ago.....he was ex-RAF and an engineer. I acquired numerous taps, dies, etc, in all manner of widths, thread forms, etc, literally a cabinet full. I haven't sorted them all out yet but it's set me up for life there....

Yesterday finally saw the tyres meeting the wheels! I wanted to make sure the paint hardened off totally before I fitted the tyres. I am really pleased with the end result. They now look the part and cannot wait to fit the wheels to the rest of the bike. I just need to figure out the exactly how the wheel spindles/spaces/washer all fit together......

24A13E7E-5942-4E6B-94DD-0D0E2C46DD74.jpeg

6DE62A6B-E8E9-4BAA-8C77-BBFB66E7684A.jpeg

7448F7B2-A6F0-4CD8-81DF-8032EE4A1A4F.jpeg

252227A8-D93C-4716-9643-222B072B7A57.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi All.

So I thought I would get an early start this morning and put the back wheel together. I have gone to fit it and I have a horrible feeling the rear wheel has been spoked/rebuilt incorrectly. I can see the brake plate is larger than the hub, my spokes have been fixed to both the inner and outer faces of the rear hub on the brake plate side, hence the brake plate does not fit snug to the hub (hope this makes sense) would anyone happen to have any photos of the rear wheel spoke pattern and even better how the rear brake plate mates to the hub?

Thanks All!

Here's one I have on file Steve. From what you describe, it sounds like yours has been assemble wrong. All the spokes on the brake drum side are fitted the same way.  Ron

One step forward and two steps back!😕

MLDSCF2605.jpg

Edited by Ron