Restoration 3 - 1943 James ML

flyingfleasteve

I also have the war time "Para" picture. I guess they used it in post war advertising as the ML carried on in near military trim for another 2-3 years. 

Regards Ron

Edited by Ron

• 5 months later...

Here is an original tank and the transfers I got from "Classic Transfers" Ron

PS with regard to the headstock bearings. It might be simpler to fit standard ball bearing races with the appropriate OD, ID, W. I fitted sealed bearings to my M20 many years ago....Fit and forget. 

Darren Wrudd runs his own bearing company and is very helpful with such things 

<john-fenwick@btconnect.com> Mention my name if you want. Ron Pier

ML.jpg

ML !.jpg

Edited by Ron

Nice Tank Ron! (looking at it, while typing this) Re. the transfers from Classic Transfers, they are a bit old, and need to be applied to a very shiny / glossy surface, otherwise they won't adhere, like on your bike. The last one I did was, after painting in colour, to apply a very glossy clear varnish, let dry, and then apply the transfer, and then overcoat with a very matte varnish.

But the varnish you got me years ago isn't available anymore, and am on my last can, so have to find a suitable replacement.

Monty, keep us updated on the headstock bearings, I'm still building 2 ML's.

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_7512.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

It's not that mine hasn't adheard Lex, but the glue shows through opaque as the transfer is mostly transparant. I learnt the shiny varnish trick when it was too late.......Same thing applies to the Norton transfers. 😬

As for the headstock ball bearings races,. You put just a small amount of load on them with the top clip and once the pinch bolt is tightened on the steering stem, they wont go anywhere and will probaly last a lifetime without further attention.  Ron

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Well I calculate the nearest equivelant OD to be 40mm. If you give me the width of the cup, I'll get advice from Darren. Is there a step at the bottom of the steering stem? ie a bigger ID for the bottom bearing? The amount of balls is academic if we are looking for a sealed ball race.  Ron