Restoration 3 - 1943 James ML

flyingfleasteve

Nearly there Steve.👍

During my own restorations of Welbike and ML, I also felt compelled to not paint over some of the nice brass/bronze/silver bits. But I revisited my ML and did it more or less to the book, which in the end I found far more gratifying.

My Welbike is now next on the list, as I've collected far more information on how it should be presented. Starting with a complete colour change to "Dark Green" and no tank transfers. Sometimes "Less is more" 😇 Ron

WIMG_2284t_.jpg

Ironically if I painted the bike as it should be it would of taken me half the time to restore it as I wouldn’t of spent so much time cleaning and polishing the brass! 😬. My excuse is I was trying to save paint but in reality it’s because I love to see the raw material. Restoration always seam ongoing and ever evolving. I have saved some paint to paint the bling when I get bored 😉

P.S Fantastic Welbike Ron!

" in reality it’s because I love to see the raw material".

Absolutely guilty as charged me lud! But I've been through therapy and rehabilitation a and I'm gradually overcoming the desire! 

I notice a MK2 Welbike in your pictures Steve. I either didn't know or have forgotten that you had one. Ron

Well spotted Ron!

Yes I have owned the Welbike for a number of years now. As I understand, like many, it ended up going to America after the War, where it stayed for a number of years. I believe it came back into the UK approx. 10 years or so ago. It appears fairly original, a few battle scares but all part of the charm. I wonder how many Welbikes have survived?

Well I think Lex has been keeping a register, maybe he can chip in with his findings.

It's a fairly well know fact that because they weren't generally suitable for sale in the UK, that loads were bought by New York department store "Gimbles" and quite a few were procured by  Masonic group "The Shriners" who had a thing about miniature vehicles for their parades and were Gloss painted and chromed which probably helped to save them. Ron

602053c4cc1eeffaba77392137b3e0c8.jpg

shriners-parades.jpg

Edited by Ron

Yes, I've had a couple of Shriners bikes, chromed and all! they do parades all over the US.

Haven't counted the register for a while, will check but around 200, which is 5%? but only about 25/30% are MKI's

I probably have yours in there Steve. but if you could email the numbers, I can update the list, have been keeping track of them for 30 or more years now, all confidential offcourse.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Ferg but I'll pass on the hat! I've never wanted to be involved with the UK Mason's let alone the madness of the US lot!!

My early MK1 ended up in India from where it was repatriated by Peter Miller's son Richard. Richard lived about 3-4 miles from me and I bought it off him over 20 years ago for £2100 which included a BSA Parabike which he'd also found in India. Ron

W20200410_085050.jpg

• Like 2

I was never into the Mason's........I didn't think the antlers, apron, funny handshake, one trouser leg rolled up and carrying a half-brick suited me.........

Think I'd be more suited to becoming a member of "Sons of the Desert"......after all, I'm regularly in trouble with the wife....

sondesert.jpg

Edging ever closer to the finish line now the newly built wheels are prepped and etched primed. Both front and rear hub/ brake plates are now prepped and primed. It was lovely to reveal the OD paint on each of the parts.

this leads me on to a few questions:-

1. Can anyone tell me which valve caps should be fitted?

2. What thread sizes are the front and back wheel nuts? I need to replace them.

2. What ‘finish’ should the wooden gear knob be and how best can I replicate it. I was thinking black acrylic paint?

Thanks in advance.

Steve 

AFE46AE2-8980-4CB2-B7B4-BCB1903166E4.jpeg

AC2F019F-8EC2-45BE-9C6F-23C612909CD6.jpeg

Steve.

1) From April 1941 all WD motorcycles were fitted with Schrader Dublchek valve caps. They are still made today I think and often spelt the English way.

2) Rear = 1/2" x 26tpi BSC.  Front = 7/16" x 26.

3) Mine is black shiny same as my Flea.

Ron

Schrader_Dublchek_Valve_Caps.jpg