Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

If the government get there way then I think our vehicles will end up parked in collections. I was hoping as the demand for petrol drops (with the ban on new sales) then it would become cheaper however I bet the tax increases massively to force people into electric vehicles.

And then when ICE are all but gone, a hefty tax on electric vehicles will be introduced

On 12/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, earlymb said:

When we restored our jeep in the '90's my dad had some lenght of hat channels made, having the same outside dimensions but the metal being a bit thicker than original. We did not use any inserts and after welding we drilled a few small holes and applied Waxoyl on the inside over the many coats of paint, the holes being capped off. Seems to hold up fine.

Thinking of it a bit more, it could also have been Tectyl we applied. This is sold in spray cans that come with a piece of hose with a misting nozzle. It would also work wonders on the inside of the frame, inside the tank well etc... any hidden areas.

• Like 1

When you think in the big scheme of things, we probably overfix everything.

Our jeeps are now knocking on for 80 years old when they weren’t expected to last more than a few. I’ve no doubt the hat channels and seams would have been left in the white at the factory and they’ve lasted this long (although rotten).

They would have been left outside in the elements, treated like the cheap run around that they were, bodged to keep running and bodged to suit other purposes.

And then we rebuild them with TLC, store them under cover and lavish them with all the cash we can spare. They best last another 80 years or more, even if we won’t be able to buy petrol to run them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone, would love to have this old girl on the road this year.

I need to remove one more bolt, speedo, oil pressure and safety brake cable, dimmer switch then tub off and then of course ring Jerry for a rebuild slot.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just been on and everything is full price until I log in and then it shows 3% off. Usually I think they do select items at 3% but it looks to be across the board. January lockdown sales? They’ll likely do better with the repro Jeep/lambretta business than the shop fitting side of things at the moment.

with this new lock down i have started the ford gpa with the frame, if you have never done a gpa you build it so you can drive the frame around work out all the snags then remove the axles, springs then put it all the the hull seal it all and refit the axles and hope there is on leeks had to make some of the spring hanger washers on the myford lathe and had to make a spring hanger as one was missing its coming along this is day 2 of the build keep safe and keep building   

P1010143.JPG

P1010144.JPG

P1010145.JPG

P1010149.JPG

P1010150.JPG

P1010146.JPG

P1010147.JPG

P1010148.JPG

P1010151.JPG

Looks great Jerry, is this one of your own?

Thought about pushing old girl out today with the 2 hours of sunshine we had, by the time all the covers are off etc i might have had an hour then covers back on etc, Jerry are you still allowed to receive customers work i really need to get that drive train up to you for evaluation/re build.

48 minutes ago, steviem said:

Looks great Jerry, is this one of your own?

Thought about pushing old girl out today with the 2 hours of sunshine we had, by the time all the covers are off etc i might have had an hour then covers back on etc, Jerry are you still allowed to receive customers work i really need to get that drive train up to you for evaluation/re build.

yes still taking on work i am finding parts are starting to get harder as dealers are running out of parts so the jobs are taking a bit longer to do like blasting 

1 hour ago, steviem said:

A new database being put together on the G.

https://sn.g503.com/

Just added my GPW. The problem I can see is that there’s no guide to read before posting or someone to filter out the rubbish. The older list was plagued with inaccuracies such as Engine serial number GPW 6015 which is the part number, there were a few dozen of those.

Also, mine is GPW6008 which could be written as 6008, GPW 6008 or GPW6008 or any other imaginable variations. It won’t be long before it’s impossible to gain any information from it.

• Like 1