Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

this is what happens when some one does not know how to set a diff up in a jeep axle it lasted less then 100 miles photos of the new one and the busted one  its the best one i have ever seen it made a bit of a rattle when driven also burnt out the bearings not a cheep day out   

P1010086.JPG

P1010087.JPG

P1010090.JPG

P1010088.JPG

P1010091.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Jerry Jeep said:

this is what happens when some one does not know how to set a diff up in a jeep axle it lasted less then 100 miles photos of the new one and the busted one  its the best one i have ever seen it made a bit of a rattle when driven also burnt out the bearings not a cheep day out   

P1010086.JPG

P1010087.JPG

P1010090.JPG

P1010088.JPG

P1010091.JPG

Jeezz, that is not just a bit off, that has gone terribly wrong in all aspects..

looks like: ‘push it in and close the cover’ -level?

For me it is a part of the hobby to study, prepare and executing such a rebuild job. 

I guess most go wrong by not having the right tools ea micro/depth meter besides the knowledge on how to measure with that plate for measuring the pinion depth. Or the simple trick to use your old bearings for shimming the axles sides.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:47 PM, steviem said:

Do these need a separate spout guys. Regards the jeep having a mare trying to get the pintel hooks off, from there going to work my way from back to front with the chassis bolts. 

Yes, you can get flexible spouts for these.

• Like 1

Are you aware (if you’re trying to keep factory condition) that’s there’s different versions? 1st were pancake style, then I think it was plain in the style you posted, then an embossed plate spot welded to the can and then I think a transfer type. If you’re aiming for a specific production date then this one may not be correct.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, steviem said:

I thought the embossed was right for a 45,? Not ordered anything yet though. The one posted posted is embossed 

It maybe, I’m not totally sure which order they run in. Maybe the transfer one was an interim before the embossed.

it looks good but it would be good if someone who has bought one could comment.

• Thanks 1

Any of you guys used the spot weld removal tool, any suggestions lots on ebay which will more than likely reduce  to nothing quite quickly, i will have some rotten hat channels to replace, also can we obtain Aircraft paint stripper here in the UK that stuff looks awsome.

Steve.

I bought a kit off eBay and it’s not bad, 2 sizes of cutter, 3 spare cutters of each size. It took me some time to become competent, what I found was, you need to find the sweet spot to drill. If I could see both sides of the spot, I could find the centre. If I could only see one side, I struggled. I found that you think you have the centre of the spot if you only look at one side but you haven’t. You would expect the spots to correspond but I found they would often be staggered and you’d drill the centre of a spot, only to find you’ve only cut through the middle. 

when I cut my hat channels out, I ground the spots out with a thin disc.

Oh and I found that if I didn’t keep the cutter square to the steel, it could snap a tooth off the cutter.

• Thanks 1