Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

From what I remember there are a couple of options for spot weld drill bits, these were my preference as you only grind out one of the metal skin of a spot weld you are drilling from, so makes it easier when rejoining new metal, its basically a flat headed drill bit..

967021300_drill2.JPG.7d3ce491a4fc4e6f522c0a2318e1fa0d.JPG

The other type that I think you describe above, either cuts out both skins so leaves a hole that will need filling or a bump that needs cleaning up before joining new metal. I also found them much more tricky to use due to needing to keep it square as Chris says above

322284862_drill1.JPG.7ae9d68eb60540e84e72bf29964f2a71.JPG

Just my experience...

• Thanks 1

Yeah the bottom one is the one I bought. The centre is spring loaded to keep it central but it does leave a stub to grind off. The benefit is that you can turn the cutter over for a second set of teeth and then replace the whole cutter when both sides are blunt. The top one needs replacing or re-grinding when blunt and I also found that if you missed the whole spot, it was difficult to drill again in a new place if it overlapped. It’s hard to explain how off centre the spot welds were on my GPW. It’s possible they were using hand held spot weld arms or very worn tools. Have a cold chisel handy!

11 hours ago, steviem said:

Hi, i did not bother in the end, i will wait until such time the chassis/drive train is restored.

There are many options out there but some times things are cheap for a reason i guess.

True, i will do some calling around tomorrow to get some prices, from all the usual suspects!!

Have you got a 3 leg puller? If you have, protect the end of the column with something solid, try and heat the boss and then put the puller on and put some pressure on it. If it feels like it won’t go, let it cool a touch, spray some more penetrating oil on it and leave for a while. Then repeat.

• Like 1

Well passenger seat now out, filterette box is rotten at the back of the main section, internals look ok even managed to save the lead washers, now that bloody huge pipe that runs the wiring is solid as is the steering wheel so will need the 3 leg puller, much easier to move around the tub with nowt in it although kind of dreading taking it off to reveal god knows what.

Yeah certainly had some hammer those, question watching for G503 youtube videos Scott removes the steering box to get at the peadsls/shaft is this really necessary thought being when i send it up to Jerry it will need putting back on, i need minimal thing to remove thus to allow the tub release.

Cheers bud i will give that a whirl, i will have help lifting so hopefully we can lift over the steering column.

then i think it is a few electrics, oil pipe, chassis bolts, amazing i have got more done in the last few weeks than months, an hour or two here and there under a car port. Still hoping Jerry can fit it in sometime.