Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

11 minutes ago, steviem said:

Christ? Only needed the box, but thanks anyway. 

Welcome to the world of restoration. Buying parts can be very costly and they soon add up. I have to admit that the radio junction box is rather expensive. At some point I want to buy one but at the moment other things have a higher priority.

A decent repro horn such as the MV Spares one that Dallas supplies  is £110

Keep the posts going, they are always good to read and you get some useful feedback.

• Like 1

I got what looks like a decent repro horn from JMP for £50, still available i think,  regarding the box I have all the conduit,  internal parts the box just rotted at the same part as the tub, I'm sure it will be worth the expense in the end.

I think that box is pretty standard across the US ww2 vehicle range so should be easy to find.

Regarding costs of restoration and parts, I bought a Halftrack because there are more original parts out there at a reasonable cost over those of the jeep.

My VEP GPW cost £6000 to purchase as a wreck. My M16 Halftrack cost £6000 as a wreck.

Original NOS cab armour is available and most of it is £20 to £100. I was missing the doors, 2 side rear armour panels and the large cross panel which I bought as cut to size blanks for £240 same price as the jeep rear 1/4 panels. Tyres I can get for £400 for 2 which is what I paid for 2 Ford branded VEP GPW tyres. Crate engines are a little more at £7000 or so compared to Jeep engines (is it £6000 for a French rebuild?).

The real expensive part is the tracks, that is a cost I won’t mention lol.

I've put x amount of money aside for this,  since I was a young boy loved the jeeps in the films,  some years later working  children, mortgages etc i have my chance   life's to short to keep waiting and I'm not getting any younger,  I've commissioned Jerry to check and repair my drive train as required   he will also hopefully salvage my tub, I like the battlefield look the one I saw in the films,  turning a dream into reality. 

A half track well lets go there 

1, very bad miles per gallon

2, 1000 miles on a set of tracks 

3, 4x replica 50 cals or even worse 4x real 50 cals 

4, a load of 50 cal ammo boxes

5,  4x gun solenoids for the guns

6, and last if you hit the car next door there is f**k all of it left 

stick to the jeep more fun and will go under the barrier at Tesco's    

• Like 1

I wrote a lengthy and witty reply but it crashed and didn’t post.

in brief, I know it’s not cheap overall but don’t tell the wife. She’s only just got over the shock of me buying a 5.0 super charged Range Rover. And let’s not mention the shock she had when the £6000 jeep rocked up sans floor!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris Hall said:

It looks like the back box of a domestic  double socket.

its a lot bigger i make my own they are easy to make wire tube you can use 22mm copper pipe and 22mm compression fittings to fit to the box and jeep floor  ford and willys wire tubes were bent in a different place   

Hi guys update on the old MB, the entire drive train and tub is now with Jerry,  his knowledge and expertise will bring the old girl a new lease of life, I understand a new thread will be made as he begins the restoration,  early signs are it's had a very tough life, at my end I have the seats, hood,fenders,windscreen and grill so I will keep this updated as I go  guess I have to unbox the the welder now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks a bit weird having two topics topics about the same jeep maybe a moderator could merge them,  anyway I have some bits here outer screen has additional holes to be plugged whats the best way? They are through going and if someone could ring which holes should remain i would be grateful. 

20210315_121513.jpg

20210315_121501.jpg

I would remove as much of both brackets as you can with a grinder but leave traces of where the weld is. Then dry fit the brackets in place and if happy, put a few weld tacks on the brackets. Fit your windscreen frame to make sure everything is aligned and you could then reinforce the welds or even finish the welds with the screen in place. Just make sure you protect the glass if it’s fitted. It doesn’t take much for weld or grinding sparks to mark the glass.

A little tinkering does this look right,  amazing a little info there is, remember these were not assembled when I got it, all fixtures are temporary while I try to get the fit right , this one has the threaded fixture on inner bracket?

20210318_153201.jpg

20210318_153148.jpg

20210318_152729.jpg

20210318_152714.jpg

Edited by steviem

You may have to put a tap through to clean it up. Try removing the threaded section on the other side and fitting the screw to see if that side tightens up. The screw should go tight but the slide bit should remain loose. The anti rattle spring fits between the 2 to erm, anti rattle lol.

• Thanks 1