Iconic WW2 vehicle

Higginsboat

Hi all,

Don't know if this has been said before?(probably)  but as a youngster, in my mind it's USA all the way Jeep and GMC tucks Sherman's but I'm influenced by films as a kid. What's your choice and why? Any make or country... British USA German French Italian anything goes...

11 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Slight problem there, the Exploder didn't come on the scene until 1950.....

You are so right, I should have said Pioneer. It’s old age catching up. 

Thanks for the slap on the wrist.

Steve.

11 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Slight problem there, the Exploder didn't come on the scene until 1950.....

I am glad to see that the AEC Matador is held in such high regard. This is one of my favourite pictures of one in WWII - blokes who probably didn't want to be soldiers sweating and swearing on some North African road, moving the gun in the dirt and the dust because they had to, uniform almost a memory, no doubt looking forward to a cup of tea or a letter from home more than shelling Jerry... One of my uncles was a bloke like these (but with a Morris Quad and 25pdr in Tunisia and Italy).

Matador N.Africa.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, Jolly Jeeper said:

I am glad to see that the AEC Matador is held in such high regard. This is one of my favourite pictures of one in WWII - blokes who probably didn't want to be soldiers sweating and swearing on some North African road, moving the gun in the dirt and the dust because they had to, uniform almost a memory, no doubt looking forward to a cup of tea or a letter from home more than shelling Jerry... One of my uncles was a bloke like these (but with a Morris Quad and 25pdr in Tunisia and Italy).

Matador N.Africa.jpg

That looks bloody cold and miserable. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:10 AM, Zero-Five-Two said:

Has to be AEC  Matador. As a kid I bought loads of the Airfix models of them, and always wanted a real one. Into Militants now, but still love the old Mat. Might get one one day

I did too not least it was one of the cheaper models.

Most iconic to me though was the DUKW. Occasionally we went past MOD Ashchurch where in the 70's if not later some were outside and visible. In the same era was the one, or were there more?, at Eastbourne.