jeep pros and cons

lozzaboy

I run a Dodge and Jeep, both fun to drive, the Dodge obviously carries more and you can sleep in the back, bit on the thirsty side, it will just fit into a standard size garage if the top is removed, last winter I totally rebuilt the Jeep, parts are Not expensive, and everything is redaly available.

Things to look out for apart from the obvious are, gearbox selection probs, very common, oil leaks from rear main, head gasket problems, may indicate cracked or warped block, body condition, but you can of course by a new repro body, nothing is really complicated or require any special tools, a Hotchkiss is worth considering because they have not had 50 years of civvy usage

"Cons - The spares are expensive." - which parts? all the parts i have ever had to buy seem to be good value for money. what other vehicle can you buy a full exhaust for £50? and a brake master cylinder for £20?

Pros - great fun to drive, extremely reliable, fit in normal garage, out run all series land rovers!, very adaptable depending on taste.

Cons - watch out for tons of filler and hidden rust!, Hotchkiss dressed and sold as WW2! (although hotchkiss is a far better Jeep!)

Jeep jeep jeep.....

pro's; fun to drive, usable, cool as hell, babe magnet, great off road, parts easy to find, most part reasonably priced, reliable, easy to work on etc etc...

con's; getting very expensive to buy, hard to find original un-restored ones, not to fast on the motorway, NOS parts getting pricey (thanks evilbay) a little lively at speed, infectious one turns into two into three etc etc

I'd buy a jeep everyday of the week, had three, got two love them both selling one wish I wasn't but s**t happens. Still want more but don't have the room. If you really really want a jeep get one because you'll never be happy with anything else.

I bought a 1962 Hotchkiss in Feb 07 and have done about 1,000km. Its great fun, to the point that I have now sold my Caterham 7 because I wasn't using it.

I got home from work on Friday, left my company in the drive and used the Jeep all weekend, Sainburys,the gym,the tip and the pub. I took it everywhere and really enjoyed it.

Great fun to drive and own.

I've got a '44/'58 M201 'Hillys' or 'Willkiss' and love it to bits. Had it two and a half years and done over 5500 miles in England, France, Belgium and Holland. Only one breakdown ( master brake cylinder ), and one broken propshaft which didn't stop me on my trip.

They are expensive to buy initially, but affordable to run in both spares and fuel. I can happily sit at 50mph on the motorway, a jeep trailer can carry any other junk I want such as tents and display items for a weekend away. If I want to go further afield, I stick it on a flatbed trailer and tow at 60mph so long distance shows don't break the bank in fuel and time off work to make the journey. It fits easily into the garage, is easy to work on.

When others are wondering whether they can afford the fuel for a day out or are worried about where they can get parked, I've already set off!

Just got back from France, Belgium and Holland having done 600+ miles in the jeep, including 200+ miles in one day to Arnhem and back on the motorway.

What ever you buy, you'll have fun, but I believe you can have fun in more places with a jeep!

Steve

Lies, they are not that thirsty. They can be used to shop at Tesco, definitely have an ego raising pose factor. Can drag bodies away from the beer tent, just lay flat in the back. Don't need a tent. Can take mates to the pub. Can't go overweight when loaded with cheap beer from Belgium. Downside if Comet can't deliver your mates washing machine for a week it fits in the back. AND you don't have to drive with your knees up by your ears. But beware the Dodge Douche. When rain collects on the back canvas clear before driving, or on braking it goes under the gap at the front straight into you're lap, you only do it once. :cry: But you can keep kit covered in the back and remove the front section to drive open.

Jeep jeep jeep.....pro's; fun to drive, usable, cool as hell, babe magnet, great off road, parts easy to find, most part reasonably priced, reliable, easy to work on etc etc...

Er, pardon me, run that by me again: Babe magnet? How many owners of volumptuous cleavages have leant into your Jeep and said: "Nice wheels mister?" Now if you were saying that about a Harley, I could give it some credence, now that is a kerb crawling, chromium plated, f*nny pulling, babe magnet. But a Jeep, sexy? Everything else I agree with, I'd love one, but Babe Magnet? Puh..leaze.