Help about Bikes & Sidecars

Jessie The Jeep

We've all seen the typical German soldier team in a Motorcycle and side car in war films etc.

My question is, did the Allied forces use sidecars on motorcycles? I can't recall ever seeing one in a film, or in real life for that matter. Have I just had a sheltered life, and do they really exist?

Steve

The British army also used Nortons with a sidecar which had a powered wheel,and in Band of Brothers there is a Harley WLA with sidecar,don't know if it's an original set up though.

Matt.

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve

There were 3 different Harley's fitted with sidecars used by US forces and also Indian made one model, some supplied to Britain. They were largely

phased out when the Jeep became available. As well the 3x2 Nortons there were also some 3x1 Nortons built for the RAF.

I've got model no's, engine details etc if you need them.

Regards

Degsy

Sorry Steve,can't help you with pic's.As I have mentioned before on the

forum there are pic's and all info in Vanderveen's Fighting Vehicles Directory WW11 if you can find a copy at a reasonable price. It seems to be accepted as "the bible" on all WW2 stuff.

Regards

Degsy

• 4 weeks later...

Theres a WW2 British motorbike (Not sure what it is, think it's a Norton) in the Coventry Transport Museum (partly closed until March 2006) with a sidecar, got some photos of it somewhere. Also have a Daimler mk I armoured car and one of Monty's Humber staff cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the only purpose built British military outfit was the Norton Big 4.

Have a look at Rob van den Brink's excellent Website devoted to the Norton WD 16H and Big 4 - http://home.tiscali.nl/wd16h/

If you want to see what the rest of the industry was up to, you need a copy of Orchard & Madden's "British Forces Motorcycles 1925 - 45" The book is now out of print but there are rumours of a forthcoming revised edition.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
I will happily stand corrected, but the combination looks like a Royal Enfield KX 1140, presumably one of the four supplied to contract C11467 in September '41

Hi Stefano,

I would say with certainty, that the photo on the left, is of a Norton Big 4. You can see the Norton logo on the tank and their familiar timing cover. Also it is a vertical cylinder in the photo, where as a KX1140 was a V-twin.

That must have been a post war or European converstion as the sidecar would be mounted on the right if made in the U.S.A. the bikes a Harley Davidson .

Yes, I remember talking to the owner about this at the time but cannot remember the detail at all of what he told me I have no idea of the origin of the chassis and body or why he built it as a r/h outfit. Although I would speculate that it was to do with doing miles safely on UK roads. Certainly it is not a 'pukka' US WW2 restoration for that very reason, but it gives a good impression of what a military r/h chair might have looked like.

Found this other outfit in the corner of another pic. this one is in the Malta museum. cannot recall the make and wouldnt like to commit myself based on the visible info.

04 January 2009 (2).jpg