Sad news...........

ArtistsRifles

Got home on Sunday night having spent all week down at the show and was greeted by the news that my dad had died whilst I was away. Apparently my sister had been in early in the week and he'd been ill then so she was supposed to have had the GP pop around to see him. She went back on Sunday to drop his shopping off and found him dead in the house. Medics reckoned he'd been dead 3 or 4 days......

Right now we're all feeling absolutely gutted - we knew he probably didn't have too long as he'd been getting increasing frailer over the last year or two but to go alone like that really is beyond words. We can only hope the end was quick and painless.

Sounds crazy to any else I guess but whats really cracking me up right now is whilst down at the show I'd bought in principle an ex-Czech OT-90 APC and one of the reasons was that the rear entrance was low enough to be able to get Dad on board and be able to take him to the shows as he could not manage the Explorer or Landrover, let alone the Stalwart. The crack-up is coming from the knowledge now that he was likely already dead before I bought the carrier.....

Like all old uns' he could be a bit bloody minded when he wanted to be - most usually when it involved doctors but offsetting that was the fact as a para he learnt to swim in the Rhine at a place called Arnhem, was exposed to the horrors of the German KZ's then had some of the occupants of those camps trying to kill him in Palestine as members of the Stern gang and IZL - yet he still managed to retain a good attitude to life and people.

We already miss him like hell!!! :-(

Very, Very sorry to hear your news Neil I know exactly what you are going through as my dad passed away 4 years ago on the Monday after the show, and it always brings back memories.

He sounded like a good un though and had a good life so always remember that.

So very sorry to hear this Neil.

Our condoleances to you and your family Neil. Such a sad loss.

Like Mark I too lost my Dad 4 years ago at this time and miss him vey much and I still wonder if there was anything I could have done differntly.

Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Sue & Jerry

Hi Neil.

Very sorry to hear your news.

I know how you are feeling as I lost my Dad in May as you are probably aware.

It's a very hard thing to come to terms with but I remember the good times and things that make me smile when I think of my Pops.

Your Father sounds like a character and similar to my Dad. One of the old school who was set in his ways and wasn't going to let the techno world change him. God bless em.

My condolences to you and your family Neil.

Markheliops

Neil, on behalf of all of us here at HMVF we send our condolances and it isn't an easy time you are all going through. Life is a journey and he is now onto the next stage. Holes are left but they can be filled with memories - they help ease the pain. Thank you Dad for his service to our country.

Anything you need then just let me know.

Jack.

Thanks everyone!! The kind thoughts are much appreciated. The old man would have enjoyed meeting all of you, you were his kind of people; it saddens me deeply that he never got the chance!!

Right now it seems life is running true to form - the parasite my sister married has taken over everything in my absence and gone and and booked the funeral, everything, without consultation with me or Val.

If I get through this without hitting him it's going to be a bl**dy miracle!!!

Dad wanted the funeral to go from his house - this little shite didn't want the inconvenience so it's going from his place in Hornchurch instead.

Sorry to hear its getting sh1tty...

Go with your gut instinct... if you want your fathers wishes carried out then do it... Its not about HIS convenience its about your dad... Tell him thanks for trying to help out but its family and you'd rather make sure it is done to your satisfaction and to your fathers wishes... if he dosen't respect that then hit him... & I'll hold him whilst you do it...

Neil, hard as it is your last duty is to your Farther's honour and dignity. Afterwards what ever you feel can show. Trouble is you can chose friends not families. I had similar problems, and know how hard to keep things in. Last time my I saw my brother, after my Mother's funeral, I was in a breath of putting him on his back. Since then never seen and no lose. The only thing you have to worry about is the love and respect of those who matter to you.

My thoughts are with you Neil . You know I'm only an hour or so away from you so if there is anything you need or whatever .............

Having lost my dad just coming up to two years ago I have some idea of what you are all going through & the highs and lows that go with it .

Dad didn't always approve of my choice of toys but always took great pleasure in seeing the end result of a restoration and seeing me off to or at the shows . I was so looking forward to him working with me on the showmans caravan I bought but illness took over and he succumbed before much progress was made . I'm sure he's still keeping an eye on me though and I can hear him tutting whenever I make a cock up or do something in a way he wouldn't have approved of !

We frequently didn't see eye to eye but that doesn't mean that you don't miss them like hell when they're gone .

Take care mate

Dave

Before my Mother died, one of the last conversations we had she said to me 'When it's all sorted out don't keep all the money buy something you have always wanted so now I have a Dodge 51 and a Land Rover 101 ambulance. Neil were with you mate.