Panzer 2 turret

johann morris

That's ok, I thought for a minute that my prayers had been answered.

Evening All,

The turrets on

DSC07670.thumb.JPG.57f8698b7edaf8d380b9e0d6bb0f3133.JPG DSC07657.thumb.JPG.8c67fef8be5efaa54acf13edcff2cb30.JPG

and I have started fitting out the inside, my goodness it's a cramped environment. I think the only thing that they forgot when they designed the tank, was that three men have to fit in, as well as all the equipment.  DSC07658.thumb.JPG.4229cbdc2ac3fd44d28ae99283f257f7.JPG DSC07659.thumb.JPG.67f3b58d76bfc8eb418d72d1dc6a1eef.JPG

DSC07660.thumb.JPG.7531d9e9bdf7c9a739890999d8fb3f9e.JPG DSC07661.thumb.JPG.feec00dd86608c890e9e5ddf155c1cdb.JPG

Sorry for the picture quality, I will try and get some better pictures when it's all fitted out. It's certainly a lot slower doing things with the turret on as I have to keep climbing in and out but it's coming together now.

Jon

• Like 16

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Outstanding progress, Jon! As for the tracks, have you tried contacting the Goslings here on the forum? In their WW1 trucks restoration threads (about the Dennis, the Peerless, etc.) they show photos of all kinds of parts, for which they make patterns and then someone casts these. So, they know a foundry, which does take strange requests. Maybe worth asking them for the contact?

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 3:55 PM, Ted170 said:

Outstanding progress, Jon! As for the tracks, have you tried contacting the Goslings here on the forum? In their WW1 trucks restoration threads (about the Dennis, the Peerless, etc.) they show photos of all kinds of parts, for which they make patterns and then someone casts these. So, they know a foundry, which does take strange requests. Maybe worth asking them for the contact?

Just a thought that may already have been mentioned. There have been adverts selling BMP 1 track lately from Poland I think.  Do you know if that would be a possibility ?

Evening All,

Sorry that i haven't been posting but I have been busy on other things. I have looked at several other types of track links but I can't find anything suitable and I can't afford to have a set made, so I am make a set. I know, it won't work, I am wasting my time, I have heard it all but that is what I am doing.

I have made 5 part links, they are not pretty but then they are only first samples, to see how things will work. DSC07681.thumb.JPG.c9870bc4dc5d25614af99b178e12b074.JPG

The first and obvious lesson was that if I am to make the 216 + spares I need to automate the process  some what.

So i have bought a capstan to make the spacers, and a cnc milling machine to drill the holes in the link bars. Both machines are obviously old and needed some love and care before I started but they now work. It's like going back to the eighties when I started life as an engineer and very enjoyable but to be honest these machines are for my work life. I haven't programmed a machine for 34 years but it's surprising how easy it all comes flooding back.

DSC07676.thumb.JPG.b22900d989df29773649395e39bc7bf4.JPG DSC07677.thumb.JPG.28ff886d189792e518d92cba1784af3f.JPG

Getting the machines is only the start of things. The CNC came without any guards so they had to be made and then a drilling jig had to be made so that 4 sets of link bars can be drilled in one operation. The capstan was used and abused so needed stripping before I could even start to organise things. 

DSC07678.thumb.JPG.241b177c195ec7d848a365c0017b3d5a.JPG DSC07679.thumb.JPG.74f33fb8332cf9cc7d222c91169f5544.JPG

I tried bending the link bars with a manual press but it would take me ages to do the 920 required so I have made some very basic press jigs and modified my press by adding a air over hydraulic ram and hydraulic ejection fed from a hydraulic power pack that someone had thrown out as it didn't work.

DSC07675.thumb.JPG.862090b9bc988bf862f5a1148b7d90e3.JPG

And then there's the welding, a very simple jig for the main frame but the jig for the horns is yet to be made. 

DSC07680.thumb.JPG.c4285e697d928f7dcd59eecfc71ad1e6.JPG

From what I have achieved so far, I don't foresee a problem  manufacturing the links and I know that they will fit together to form a complete track but how long they will last is another matter but as they say, he who dares........

Jon

DSC07673.JPG

• Like 13

Good to hear.  It's not like you will be driving it hundreds of miles, after all.

It does look like the sort of thing you could make as a Malleable Iron blank and then drill twice tho'

Why won’t it work? You’ve built a tank FFS! Keep going, you are an inspiration. Now this really is stuff to emulate. Sheer determination, hard work, know how…….just keep doing what you’ve been doing all along, and if you don’t manage to give yourself a pat on the back when you’re done, send me your address, and I’ll fly over, pat you on the back, drool on your tank, and then take to your favourite pub, and buy you as many beers as you can drink.

21 hours ago, Gordon_M said:

Good to hear.  It's not like you will be driving it hundreds of miles, after all.

It does look like the sort of thing you could make as a Malleable Iron blank and then drill twice tho'

I think that I have mentioned this before but If I haven't. There is a good book, well at least I think so, published in 1944   

Scan0026.thumb.jpg.7926a872e0c7fe10e0b78a3883654a66.jpg 

It answers lots of questions including that regarding the use of cast iron

Scan0027.thumb.jpg.f430090896f6ae04de649ad1dc416b4f.jpg

12 hours ago, ltwtbarmy said:

Why won’t it work? You’ve built a tank FFS! Keep going, you are an inspiration. Now this really is stuff to emulate. Sheer determination, hard work, know how…….just keep doing what you’ve been doing all along, and if you don’t manage to give yourself a pat on the back when you’re done, send me your address, and I’ll fly over, pat you on the back, drool on your tank, and then take to your favourite pub, and buy you as many beers as you can drink.

Thanks for your support, if I didn't think that It would have a chance of success I wouldn't be doing it but I am quietly confident that it will, at least for the limited use that it will get.

7 hours ago, rewdco said:

Fantastic thread! Love it!

Nice of you to say so, I  am certainly enjoying the project. I would have taken some more pictures but my camera has given up the ghost.

Jon

Edited by johann morris
added text
  • Like 5