Panzer 2 turret

johann morris

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, NZM305 said:

Just checking in to see how things are going Johann 😁

In truth very slowly. I seem to have lost all my energy and drive, my joints hurt and I blame the Covid injection that I had on April the 1st. I have always been physically hard on my body, so I have the odd aches and pains but after the injection, every joint hurt and at 55 you should be able to get off the bog without pushing yourself off the seat. Thankfully it's calmed down now and I am only having problems with my left knee but I feel knackered. That said I have made some progress with the tank but I find myself making silly mistakes which has entailed doing things twice to get it right.

Whinge over.

As mentioned last time, I have been making the drivers vision telescope. It's quite a complex little item and it  took me quite a long time to decide what does what and how it all works. The pictures that I have, at first glance, hold very little information but if you stare at them long enough it all becomes clear.

Scan0003_LI.jpg.527af519731f6157f293485302d8317f.jpg DSC07218.thumb.JPG.58228f9aa675516d79e79d13ae731801.JPG

Basically there's a main casting, of course mines a fabrication.

The casting is attached to a top plate that slides into the location rails and is attached to the vision hole blanking block via a threaded bar.

DSC07208.JPG.cb0bc257dd8416f04895ac1f50d556bc.JPG

In the location rail there are two location holes, one positioned so that when the periscope is not required the blanking block covers the vision holes and one that aligns the periscope with the vision holes. To release the assembly, so that it can be slid one way or the other, you press the lever on the side of the casting in, this lowers a sprung loaded plunger. The assembly can then be slid across and the plunger will then locate into the relevant hole.

DSC07199.JPG.9c75e7d6b234ed2b8943dcedb7ce9b21.JPG DSC07205.JPG.41577c0fd04d5812660b96131bede64e.JPG 

Because our eyes are not the same distance apart, person to person, there is an adjuster that would allow the vision tubes to be adjusted to suit the user. This is attached to the lower part of the casting and contains a thumb screw attached to a threaded bar, one end is threaded with a left hand thread and the other with a right hand thread.

DSC07195.JPG.42280f0dbca627cec7b2b08253044fbe.JPG

If the thumb screw is turned one way the adjusters move apart, if turned in the opposite direction, the adjusters move closer and when the vision tubes are assembled into the casting, this adjusts the distance between the eye pieces.

Attached to the front cover of the assembly, there is a split boss with a tightening screw.

DSC07194.JPG.491dccdf87d7d850915be30ed1199baa.JPG DSC07198.JPG.4a5b449d5b9555d82770543704076d53.JPG

When the vision tubes are assembled into the casting there is a brow rest that fits into this split boss and the screw is there to lock, said rest, in place. 

The last items of note are the two curved plates on the inside of the front cover, these act as springs and they hold the vision tubes in place when they are assembled into the casting.

That's all folks.

Jon

DSC07192.JPG

DSC07196.JPG

• Like 5

19 hours ago, John F said:

Come on Jon, we're all waiting on tenterhooks... what are you going to do with the tracks?

I haven't done anything to the tank since the last update and as for the tracks I am going to fabricate them. 

Although saying that I haven't been idle, I have diverted my attention to modifying another project, in the hope that doing something a little less complicated would reignite my enthusiasm.

Jon

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, johann morris said:

I haven't done anything to the tank since the last update and as for the tracks I am going to fabricate them. 

Although saying that I haven't been idle, I have diverted my attention to modifying another project, in the hope that doing something a little less complicated would reignite my enthusiasm.

Jon

I know the feeling. I'm part way through at least 4 vehicle projects, it's not always easy to stay motivated!

On 7/6/2021 at 8:44 PM, John F said:

I know the feeling. I'm part way through at least 4 vehicle projects, it's not always easy to stay motivated!

I agree. Restoration or fabrication can look like a hill too big to climb. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:39 PM, johann morris said:

I know the feeling Jon, I’ve had some rest bite from the Fordson but now need to get stuck in before the project goes stale !! 

I was down in the workshop on Wednesday playing with another restoration project,

DSC02018.JPG.e21973c5480a631878e01af727bc79f6.JPGDSC02019.JPG.98ca48f41cf34bc91408851600f390e1.JPG

and in a quite moment I had a ponder about the Panzer. I have actually only got the three vision ports in the upper hull to make and apart from the tracks and the front sprocket it's finished. Admittedly it need all needs taking apart and spraying and the tracks are going to be a real ordeal but it is so close. 

Does anyone know of a company that might be interested in Laser cutting my sprockets?

Jon

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, johann morris said:

I have actually only got the three vision ports in the upper hull to make and apart from the tracks and the front sprocket it's finished.

So…..it’ll be finished by next weekend then 😁

Nice looking series 3 👍

15 minutes ago, 67burwood said:

So…..it’ll be finished by next weekend then 😁

Nice looking series 3 👍

Thanks, we like it. I restored it several years ago and then put it to bed until it was tax free. While it was having it's little sleep we decided that it would be better with a full hard top, which is what I have been playing around at. 

Jon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

14 hours ago, NZM305 said:

Anyone seen Johann, he hasn't been online since July?

I hope the vaccine didn't cause him any further problems, No one at my house had any issues but everyone is different

On 7/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, johann morris said:

Does anyone know of a company that might be interested in Laser cutting my sprockets?

Jon

Not laser, Water Jet. Water Jet cutting is very accurate and very low cost. They can do steel up to 75mm thick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jon,

Just catching up with your latest additions.  Hope this finds you all well and great to see the progress although probably not as far on as you would like.  Think your decision to make your tracks fits well with the exceptional fabrication so far and may well provide a template for other builders presented with similar parts issues.

Can't wait to see you all again once 'groundhog day' has run its course.  I'm contemplating a few jobs on the kit car but keep putting off with the cold weather up here but reading your blog has shamed me into getting the boilersuit (and space heater) on.

Best wishes, keep up the great work, hope to catch up this year.

Paul C.

• 2 weeks later...