Panzer 2 turret

johann morris

To be honest I didn't know where to post this so....

It started with a conversation regarding me making a tank, well I cant afford to buy one, so making would be the only way that I would get one. I have always fancied a Panzer and the thought was to build a wooden turret for displays but the plan went wrong. At a show I bought a magazine for a KWK30 2cm cannon and the die was cast, a Panzer 2. First I collected all the relevant information, sizes, pictures etc. and then my imagination got the better of me. Why not build one out of metal and then, if I got round to it, it could go on a chassis. So metal it was but what about the observation hatches, surly they would have to open and how does that mechanism work and what to sit on in the turret, and how are the guns held in place........................you get the idea.

Anyway I hope that you like it so far.

Jon

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02158.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02985.jpg

Fantastic! I know exactly where you are coming from when an simple idea enters your head and grows with the thinking, I once started to build a simple "birmingham piddler" for my son.... it ended up as a fully blown showmans tractor complete in every way.

Keep us up to date with progress :)

A few more. The next part is to make the weapon mountings. I have an mg34 so there's no problem there but I do not own or have access to a KWK 30 2cm, so if anyone has one or has access to one I could do with some close up pictures of the breech and a few dimensions. All information gratefully received.

Jon

DSC02986.jpg

DSC02987.jpg

DSC02991.jpg

DSC02993.jpg

DSC02994.jpg

DSC02995.jpg

DSC02999.jpg

Nice one!

Have you contacted the Tank Museum archives? There are some really good intelligence reports on the Panzers which break out subassemblies and components with photos and drawings. If they've got one on the Panzer 2 it might help you a lot :)

TTFN

Lauren

Edited by Lauren Child

Thanks for the positive comments, its very kind of you. Yes Niels I have seen the panzer fabric teams work, very cool but I could do with something a little closer to home. Does anyone know, are they as good on the inside as on the outside of the vehicle?

I think a visit to the tank museum is in order, its a 6 hr drive from here but I could kill 2 birds with one stone and get some measurements for the chassis. How does one gain access to their archive?

Regards,

Jon

Superb Work Johan! Well, necessity being the Mother of invention. As the current prices of genuine WWII Armour, are out of the range of us mere mortals! I guess yours is the only route to go!

With all of this going on, I am left with the following observation: I wish I, had the luxury of time, to be able to tackle something like this!

Well Done that Man! ;)

I think a visit to the tank museum is in order, its a 6 hr drive from here but I could kill 2 birds with one stone and get some measurements for the chassis. How does one gain access to their archive?

Regards,

Jon

Theres a website here - best bet is to email them first though, so you can get an understanding of what they've got.

http://www.tankmuseum.org/schools-and-research/bovart52876

There are some good reports on the Panzer 3 & 4 turret and armament, and the Panzer 4 tank itself. I'd be surprised if there weren't equivalent reports on the Panzer 2, but you'll need to check on what they have.

• 2 months later...

Just a few pictures to show the progress made so far, its a lot more time consuming than one might think. The deact MG34 isn't the right one for an armoured vehicle but its what I have got, so will have to do for these pictures. I have started making the replica 2cm kwk main gun, so I am getting there........ slowly.

Johann

DSC03277.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03286.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am glad someone likes it, the wife can't seem to get excited about it. The thought of actually earning money doing this sort of thing would be fantastic but I never seem to get to meet people that need this sort of work doing and living in Mid Wales, where men are men and sheep are nervous, the locals seem more interested in sheep than military vehicles.

Jon

Stunning ! , for paid work why don't you send pictures of the equipment you have built to movie set makers ? the need all kinds of one off stuff made.

I've a mate who is set decorator for some BIG movie companies and also another who is a prop and set builder.

jon your work is very good and if you are looking to make money doing what you love then i'm sure word will get around.

I can imagine a re-enactment group, or movie company would be a option to sell to.

Just try to get the word out to the public via facebook and such.

Impressed would be an understatement.............!!

I thought the details on the turret hatches was impressive.

The 2cm L55 is something else!

Whats the vehicle in the background in one of the shoots of the turret?