Bad for the MV Hobby?

Markheliops

Hi all

I came across this on Facebook, courtesy of the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3310328/That-s-one-way-battle-congestion-Visitors-London-tour-bullet-bomb-proof-TANK-afford-1-500-ticket.html

Is it just me or does anyone else thing this is extremely bad for the hobby?

I am thinking the less we owners of armoured vehicles advertise the fact that "Joe-Public" can purchase such pieces of hardware and drive them around the streets, the more likely we are to be able to exercise such a privilege.

You'll notice I am steering away from the "legalities" of driving 43 series vehicles on the road as we have been there many times and we all know the arguments.

I don't know - maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age but stuff like this makes me nervous.

Markheliops

To start with It's not a tank! This is important as there have many attempts to ban 'Tanks' from London. Also not the first time an armoured vehicle has been used in dubious publicity, anyone rember Sam Fox being driven up to the Wapping Print Plant in a Dingo?

Biggest problem is announcing it's Congestion Charged and probably LEZ exempt. Every trader, delivery service and yuppie will want one. Range Rover are probably planning a trackd Range Rover Sentinel as we speack. If somone is daft enough to pay £1,500 for a couple of hours tour, theres one born every minute.

In the pictures there is guy sitting on the deck behind the driver and the girls are sitting on the turret top.

How are the rules for seating in a vehicle in the UK?

I dont think that seating arrangement or lack off would have been allowed in Denmark.

Hi all

I came across this on Facebook, courtesy of the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3310328/That-s-one-way-battle-congestion-Visitors-London-tour-bullet-bomb-proof-TANK-afford-1-500-ticket.html

Is it just me or does anyone else thing this is extremely bad for the hobby?

I am thinking the less we owners of armoured vehicles advertise the fact that "Joe-Public" can purchase such pieces of hardware and drive them around the streets, the more likely we are to be able to exercise such a privilege.

You'll notice I am steering away from the "legalities" of driving 43 series vehicles on the road as we have been there many times and we all know the arguments.

I don't know - maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age but stuff like this makes me nervous.

Markheliops

Your as 'Joe Public' as any one else.

Live and let live.

I agree with the sentiment expressed thus far. I've met Nick Mead and he was quite pleasant, however at a time when stricter legislation is being introduced for the capitals roads which tries to ensure cyclist safety (see TFL's safer lorry scheme) there are obviously people in power observing our roads. I hope they don't see this and take exception to our hobby as a result.

In the pictures there is guy sitting on the deck behind the driver and the girls are sitting on the turret top.

How are the rules for seating in a vehicle in the UK?

I dont think that seating arrangement or lack off would have been allowed in Denmark.

the chap on the decks behind Nick is the self styled 'tank nut Dave' - he has a website of a similar/same name and often sits in that position on the Abbot as a second pair of eyes.

This story has reminded me of a report in The Derby Evening Telegraph over ten years ago where an Abbot in private ownership came off a road in the Peak District, rolled over & killed the occupants in the turret. I remember it said the mod had been bought in to investigate, surprised we didn't see a clamp down from that incident.

No matter what anyone of us says, there will always be a number of people who do it their way. there can be limited harm, just because he is publicizing his business. Its not the MV hobby he is a Business.

Business use or Private Paulob1 -

My thoughts are it is not wise to drive around the center of London, advertising, in a vehicle that should not even be on the road!

The business side of things will continue until someone in authority decides vehicles such as these should not be driving around the streets.

We will all be subjected to increased regulations and possible a total ban on using them in public areas.

A slippery slope I think.

Markheliops

No matter what anyone of us says, there will always be a number of people who do it their way. there can be limited harm, just because he is publicizing his business. Its not the MV hobby he is a Business.

Who make the distinction between business and hobby, self propelled gun or tank, it's armoured on tracks and nobody in the photo has any means of voice communications with the drive as would be the case using appropriate working headsets, the guy behind the driver is exposed and powerless to act in a situation. Construction and use on public highways requires occupants of a vehicle to be seated appropriately on the seats provided. Way back in the day when 432's first became available I owned one driving it many miles on the roads always with a commander and working headsets for all occupants, a pleasure to drive and fun to exhibit ;)

I'm in total agreement Baz.

I don't for one minute have an issue with anyone driving a 43 series vehicle around the streets.

People who know me know I have owned a couple of these machines and I too, like many others have driven to shows.

On one occasion a pub when attending a show with other MV owners in the rear. (I didn't drink).

I do however, have a concern when I see an Abbott travelling the streets of London, past the house of Law Makers, showing a total disregard for their own and others safety.

I'm all for enjoying our vehicles but I do feel maybe we should attempt to regulate our own hobby before regulation is forced upon us after PR stunts like Tank Tours!!!

Markheliops

I agree with you Mark. It is just asking for trouble.

Nick also rented his stretch 432 limo to Vivienne Westwood and she parked it outside David Camerons house while a group of children sang "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Cameron". All a little childish really. Just because he is entitled to drive an Abbot through London doesn't mean that he should. It is only a matter of time before stunts like these get armour legislated off the road.

Norbury Tank Man and his Abbot blazed a trail of destruction through South West London in the 90's and everybody turned a blind eye (too much paperwork). I recall the cops always stopped him getting into Parliament Square when parliament was sitting though.

As others have pointed out, There should not be more passengers than seats / positions and the lookout should not be sitting exposed and without any means of communicating to the driver.

All it takes is one accident and the same press that is happily reporting on this will be screaming from the rooftops to get armour banned.

Will his insurance actually cover him for this or is he now dodgy territory? (Most MV owners are not insured for hire or reward)

Norbury Tank Man and his Abbot blazed a trail of destruction through South West London in the 90's and everybody turned a blind eye (too much paperwork). I recall the cops always stopped him getting into Parliament Square when parliament was sitting though.

He had it bright pink with two plastic pigs wearing police helmets stuck on the back corners and drove it up Whitehall. None of us including the Fuzz outside No10 could stop laughing. He pulled up behind a little Vauxhall Nova, the drivers reaction had us rolling on the floor. Ah Happy Days!

I see no problem with what he's doing, other than the safety concerns highlighted by others. I drive my Saracen on the road fairly regularly and have taken it into the Adelaide city centre during business hours; I've never had any negative reactions to it and everyone seems to have a good time, but I will never drive it without someone acting as an observer and never without a working intercom.

Fortunately the Saracen has lots of seats, so appropriate seating positions for everyone is easy to arrange :)

Cheers,

Terry

Many years ago, one of my fellow workmates, had to go to a TA Centre in Central London to attend to a Saracen. When the job was finished, he took it on road test .......... down Whitehall. Apparently questions were asked on why an armoured vehicle was going down there, as he said, you only need do it once! That was well before private owned ones were around.

Ok, a few years ago this was great news for our hobby, a bit of a laugh, and no negative publicity.Times have changed dramatically, everyone's gone 'PC' and what we used to do for fun is easily misconstrued by the press and plod. We are extremely fortunate in this country to still be able to possess and drive on the road armoured vehicles, and it wouldn't take much of an incident for a very small minority (us) to be banned.........

Terry

Nick must have iron balls to drive at speed through crowded streets, pedestrians are "predictable" in their actions! and I don't care how well maintained the vehicle is, things can break, just the thought would scare the crap out of me, quite happy to rip round a field in anything on wheels or tracks but in a crowded area where 95% of the people don't even know what it is, or about safety. Each to their own but not for me.