Bad for the MV Hobby?

Markheliops

Till goes wrong

Not a comment on Nick but a reflection on how things can go wrong.A few years ago I took a Chieftain (11FD67) to a charity event at Inchmarlo near Aberdeen. After the event I was loading it onto a low loader up hill in a narrow tree lined lane when,

1. A constable standing watching got me to stop as the bike belonging to a young lad had caught the tracks at the rear and had been chewed up and thrown in the air. :shocked:

2. As I went up the ramps more shouting. Some little scamp had opened a fuel cap and lowered the armour cover, the tanks were full And it was poring over the road. The event organisers sorted it out for me.:mad:

3. Nearly on and I lost the power brakes. Going uphill in a narrow lane with onlookers around, cetrafrugal clutch and if I remember right 14 tugs on the handbrake to hold it. I lost some years off my life then and smacked the back of a 432 that was already on there. It Was a few years ago and for charity mind.

The young lad was not too bothered and cheered up after a run in a Hummve. This same lad earlier in the day had been standing around a field watching as we did rides in a 432 for a couple of pounds. Other lads not connected with him asked why he did not take a ride, he had no money. So they gave him the cash to get a ride. Really shows the "Yoof" of today in a better light than the often get, really heart warming.

Iain

Driving Tanks and any military vehicle on the roads is no more dangerous than driving any big, old, slow vehicle on the road. full stop...

Sorry Paulob1.

I have to strongly disagree.

Its not normally the driver of the tracked vehicle that is at fault.

I was taking the Chieftain ARRV down the M20 (on the low loader obviously) and then was nearly a 4 car pile up.

Why, because people were slowing down, hanging out of the window and taking pictures / video.

To us MV owners, tanks and armoured vehicles are part and parcel of what we do but the average member of public has a fascination of armour and if they ever see one up close, they tend to do silly things like step out in front of them to get a better picture. We all know children like to touch the tracks - when they are moving.

I would say my experience of driving old slow vehicles and tracked vehicles is the driver of armour has to be far more alert to others on the road and what they may do without warning.

It's only my personal experience of driving both types of vehicle that I base this opinion on.

Markheliops

Mark i could not agree more, I fitted rear view cameras to my 432's to see what the plonkers were doing behind me and some were .within inches of the bumper.

But the fact is that stats show they are no more dangerous, not hearsay or incidents facts...infact hobbyist vehicles have the lowest accident rate of any vehicle group.

However your ARRV was not being driven on the road it was a passenger and it nearly caused a pile up shall we legislate against all movements of interesting items. I think not.

we will not be banned as there is no safety or logical reason to ban us.

and what Nick does will not change that...

oh by the way mark good luck with the ARRV sale. i have another option on getting one at the moment but yours would be a perfect addition for my museum...bet it goes US side...where it can be driven on the road.