Stolen from Duxford

No Signals

There is a thread on here asking if it is worth fitting a tracker to this type of vehicle. I think this sad event suggests that it would be....

We are already investigating fitting them to customers vehicles - in fact we have our first trial fit going on at the moment.

I would also commend the use of "Smartwater"

In the meantime let us all hope that there is a good outcome to this.

how does smart water work it is no better or worse than those micro dot things/writing post code with an ultra violet pen on your computer or putting your name on school sports clothes/gear. It don't deter any one . Plus it pre presumes someone is can be bothered to check for markers if its ever found. Just don't let it go in the first place

Edited by cosrec

A Tracker wouldn't have stopped the vehicle being stolen but the brake pedal chained to the floor (or similar immobilising devices) most likely would have.

Trackers are best fitted to complex (electrically) vehicles, as in something like a Jeep they are a doddle to bypass.

The local Plods aren't interested in chasing the vehicle so unless you can track it and have big enough friends to front the thieves, what will you achieve?

Sad to hear. I think the rotor arm or battery disconnect with the red key would help, take the red key with you. That's what I have on my vehicles.

I have trackers on my road cars and I know they work, if I forget the fob I get a call in seconds asking where my car is. This isnt a cheap service thought with fitting and annual subscription

A Tracker wouldn't have stopped the vehicle being stolen but the brake pedal chained to the floor (or similar immobilising devices) most likely would have.

On my jeep I had a switch hidden under the dash connected to earth and the points terminal on the distributor the switch cost a few pence , the worst that could happen was that the thief would flatten the battery first, because the jeep was never going to start.

Best to prevent the vehicle being stolen in the first place than relying on a tracker when the vehicle has already been stolen .

Hopefully this guys Jeep has become too hot to handle, but it is likely to be stripped down because of that. So look out for anyone offering a lot of Jeep parts for sale ? I have made two strong metal plates that drop over the brake and clutch pedals of my Jeep each individually locked with Thatcham approved padlocks, I also have a hidden cut out switch. This won't stop a determined thief loading it on a trailer I suppose but it will slow things down and it stops the opportunist jumping in and driving it away.

Even if you take rotor arm away , or disconect the battery , it doesn`t stop the thieves . They come with for in a car with trailer , and straight away push it on the trailer and are gone . Only way to cure it is to put a lock around steering arm and spring leaves , in a left or right full lock position .

Smartwater does deter as long as you ensure that the would-be thief knows that it is marked up. All my vehicles tools and equipment are smartwatered and marked as such. Also in the event of a theft it makes the identification of stolen items easy, and they can be traced. The prosecution record using Smartwater is impressive. So in this case even if the jeep were broken for parts those parts (provided they are marked, in itself the easiest process imaginable) could subsequently be identified.

As for trackers my own view is mixed, and I hear all the nay-saying. I think though that something that tells you that a vehicle is on the move when it shouldn't be is helpful, allowing early intervention and action. The devices are small, the size of a matchbox, and the one we are looking at has a 36hour battery life once activated (and you activate it with your phone). It can actually be hidden inside panels etc and cannot be jammed. Additional power could be provided, if the need arose, with a discrete feed from the vehicle battery. It costs £15 and uses a pay-as-you-go simcard so no subscription, alerts are by text. Once the vehicle is on the move the ap on your phone tells you where it is so that you can inform the appropriate authorities.

As I say we have yet to trial it and yes of course it is not going to worry a clued-up and clever thief. But it might, at which point £15 looks like a bit of a bargain. So much so that you could hide 3 or even 4 of the blighters on a reasonable sized vehicle for the price of a tank of fuel!

Edited by paulbrook

Even if you take rotor arm away , or disconect the battery , it doesn`t stop the thieves . They come with for in a car with trailer , and straight away push it on the trailer and are gone . Only way to cure it is to put a lock around steering arm and spring leaves , in a left or right full lock position .

That won't stop determined thieves they just use wheel skates. To be honest there is only so much you can do, if they really want it they will get it. I've known them take down walls and hedges to get vehicles away. Much tougher penalties for those caught might deter them but it's so easy to break them down for spares or pop them in a container bound for Europe the chances of getting caught is often in their eyes worth the risk.

There are shippingcontainer tracking devices with its own 30 day powersupply.

Its probably expensive and not extremely practicle but its small and could get the stolen vehicle located before its found.

Advantage is afaik no external power needed and no phonecalls if the battery is disconnceted or such.

At least if it had a tracker the owner would have been alerted at once by text it was moving and he would have seen which way out of the gate it went if he had a smartphone. It could have been followed. I use a Carrotech tracker on mine.

It is absolutely appalling to hear of this theft and reading through all the suggestions for additional security?.. I can't but help think that the Jeep and anything else that is stolen in this country these days would be more secure if the Police and the Courts came down on theft in some sort of order instead of pussy footing about with people.

The other thing about this theft that really infuriates me is this .....

A few of you have suggested the Jeep will probably get broken and sold as spares.....?...

...I've ridden motorcycles for many years and the theft of them is as you all probably know 'endemic'.. and many of them get broken up too....and the thing is this .....the only person that would buy stolen motorcycle parts is another motorcyclist.

If this wartime jeep is broken up and sold then it will be other military vehicle enthusiasts that will buy the parts and that really grates on me...........If anyone whatsoever is offered any parts for a jeep in the coming months, the least they can do is question very closely whoever is selling the components and if there is even the slightest whiff of something maybe not quite right ? then they must not only immediately back away from the purchase.... but to also call the police..... no matter how cheap or how much of a bargain the bits are and no matter how stretched your budget is.

I'm sure that if one of us had jeep parts or parts for a motorbike or whatever it may be...I know I wouldn't object to the Police coming to see me and having a poke about my workshop if someones suspicions had for some reasons been triggered ... .......only by being super vigilant are we ever going to stop these kind of people making money off our possessions ............

......and not that I am thinking any of us would be involved in such behaviour but ?..

(leastways I sincerely hope not )....

....never forget that if you have ever been tempted by something that seems cheaper than you know it should be then you are almost certainly buying and therefore contributing to the next theft that comes long .....and one day it may well be your jeep or landrover that has disappeared .

Having said all of that I do sincerely hope they find the b******* that did this and I hope someone takes a lump hammer to their hands into the bargain.

Its all a bit Spy vs Spy I know (for those of us who once upon a time read the "Mad" comic) but the latest versions of the tracker can sense a jammer apparently and send an alert before the jammer actually jams the signal (a bit like radar warning systems can alert a user long before the radar can actually see the object in question - I seem to recall studying the radar range equation at some point).

I still think there is a bit of a two-men-in-a-jungle about this. Faced with an angry cheetah man one grabs a pair of trainers. You will never outrun a cheetah says man two. I don't need to responds man one - I just need to outrun you...

I think all the things mentioned here from rotor arms to hi-tech tracking devices are all readily available and whilst nothing will ever foil the really really really determined and clever thief my own view is that we should all endeavour to make it as difficult as possible for them to succeed. Not all are criminal masterminds. I once had a quite unusual but otherwise unremarkable digger stolen. Our local constabulary were very nice and helpful but admitted candidly that they saw little prospect of me ever seeing the equipment again.

Later that week on Ebay my digger appeared...............

Think about it from out side the box every body is working on the principle that it the vehicle is worth a fortune as a military vehicle But what is it worth once its stolen its scrap value only . Everyone on here tell me what you personally give for a knowingly stolen jeep bearing in mind you are fans . Now tell me as a thief how you are going to make money out of stealing it. As for does Trackers smart water etc deter thief's obviously not they still keep stealing them. I have said it before and will say it for the last time when vehicles like this go missing don't look for organised gangs from eastern Europe look next door for jealous neighbours or start thinking insurance fraud

Edited by cosrec

Regarding the possibility it will be exported abroad and registered somewhere else, no one in the 'DVLA equivalent' in many less sophisticated countries of the world are going bother about a few hard to find chassis numbers on Jeeps that arrive or a V5, when a faked up document or bill of sale might do if a bit of cash changes hands at the docks.

Edited by LarryH57