Scorpion or Scimitar?

teletech

Acording to the RTR (Royal Tank Tegiment) a Tank is a vehicle designed for combat against other AFV's . A CVR(T) or CVR(W) is a reconnasince vehicle, you look you see you *** Off! :D

You cant ask people at RTR such technical questions :nut:.

The first tanks were infantry support, I don't know if they ever shot at another tank during WW1? A tank that is designed to kill tanks is a tank killer M10, Stug etc and people go to great length to point that out.

So if we follow the WW1 definition, infantry support a CVRT could be a tank

If we follow RTR's post modernistic reinvention of the tank "is a vehicle designed for combat against other AFV's", a M10, a Stug or even a Land Rover with a 106 recoilless is a tank!

Oops I forgot this tank as also meets the description :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104130[/ATTACH]

It has often surprised me how little the guys who served on the vehicles actually know. I had a massive argument with one over a YouTube video of my sabre. I had just got it running and was driving without suspension dampers, so it was bouncing all over the place. He told me I was a stupid civvy and didn't know how to drive. I pointed out the description which said it had no dampers, and he replied they never had dampers and I was making it up. I have no idea why bolting the imaginary dampers on suddenly made me stupid civvy driving better, but it did....

Dear All,

I don't think that the RTR definition of a "tank" is correct or authoritive.

The nomenclature for the Conqueror ARV is Tank, ARV, Conqueror Mk II. I am not convinced that it would be effective against another AFV since it is only armed with light machine gun (Browning or Bren, I don't know which for certain). A chief's nomenclature is "Tank, Combat, 120mm Gun,Chieftain, Mk 1". This rather implies that there are other variants which are not combat or gun tanks. ARK, AVRE, AVLAB and BARV come to mind.

I am quite clear that the Conqueror ARV is a tank even if it does not have a sticky out thing!

John

The names of military items will change over the years. There will be people on this Forum who have no idea what a 'bondhook' is. Leave it for a bit those who know and let some suggestions come in. BTW it is not getatable on Google...

Hi Bob,

it looks like your post has fell on stony ground ....... no takers as yet. I have a suggestion but afraid it might stop this dead, so hope a few others will have a stab first.

Ok, lets get in the fight...:beatenup:

To ME a tank has the following characteristics;

-It has tracks

-It has a traversable turret or sponson

-Its designed to fire more or less flat tjajectory

-It has a cannon or (a) machine gun in the turret/sponson

-It is completely armoured

So a 432 isn't a tank but with a turret it is.

Just my opinion...

Edited by Enigma

Ok, lets get in the fight...:beatenup:

To ME a tank has the following characteristics;

-It has tracks

-It has a traversable turret or sponson

-Its designed to fire more or less flat tjajectory

-It has a cannon or (a) machine gun in the turret/sponson

-It is completely armoured

So a 432 isn't a tank but with a turret it is.

Just my opinion...

-It has tracks CHECK

-It has a traversable turret or sponson CHECK

-Its designed to fire more or less flat tjajectory CHECK (it has a direct fire sight)

-It has a cannon or (a) machine gun in the turret/sponson CHECK

-It is completely armoured CHECK (limited armour but armour no the less)

A 432 with a turret.. it's a 433! Is it a tank....?