Rememberance Day

fesm_ndt

I just saw a video from Turkey where the drivers on the equivalent to a M road all stopped at 11am for the minutes silence.

It got me thinking that a large proportion don't stop what they are doing anymore. I can recall the days when it was announced at work etc. But was there ever historically people stopping vehicles in the commonwealth countries?

When I drove for a living I always did my upmost to stop and observe the two minute silence, I still do and did so today I pulled off the road and got out and stood with head bowed in respect for the fallen of all conflicts I don't give a rats ar5e what other people driving by think. :saluting:

Edited by arcot1751

Where ever i have worked we have always observed a minuets silence. I would say that it is observed more these days then ever. When i was at school it was never honored, but i think all schools do now, i know the schools round here do. But i guess it would be hard to stop the car when you are driving.

Attended the wreath laying at the railway war memorial in york today, and I would say it was pretty well attended. The Royal Signals had a separate service not 200 yards away in memorial gardens, and the silence was observed in the station.

Although there were still plenty of people going about their business I too would say it is as well observed as I have known it....

All London Buses, if it is safe to do so, will pull over and stop at 11:00 on the 11th Novemeber. Nowadays you always get some &*((( will huff and puff because they want to get somewhere. Tough ***t! I was lucky enough to be in good comapny at Thiepval yesterday at 11:00 hours and at Ieper the Menin Gate at 20:00 now there are two events I'll bore you with for weeks!

As we in the Netherlands didn't fight in WW1 we don't have the 11/11 silence.

But at 12:00 hours, so at the same time as the Brits (we are a hour ahead), I went outside looking to the west and observed 2 minutes of silence.

I also wore a poppy for the last few weeks.

And on remembrance sunday I went to 2 nearby monuments to lay flowers from our own garden.

Later my brother and I did the same thing at the monument in our village.

My company sounded the fire alarm for 2 seconds at 11-00am and and again at 11-02am. Very proud to say everything and everyone stopped for that period, in complete silence

As we in the Netherlands didn't fight in WW1 we don't have the 11/11 silence.

But at 12:00 hours, so at the same time as the Brits (we are a hour ahead), I went outside looking to the west and observed 2 minutes of silence.

I also wore a poppy for the last few weeks.

And on remembrance sunday I went to 2 nearby monuments to lay flowers from our own garden.

Later my brother and I did the same thing at the monument in our village.

Well done Sir..!

In the past when driving a Brighton bus I have tried to stop for the silence.

You'd be surprised the attitude of people in that City. You get sworn at, people constantly asking "why are we stopped, why won't you answer me?" All complaining about being late and being totally disrespectful.

Once I was bus stop about to pull away opposite the war memorial at the old Steine, where there was a huge gathering of veterans and public, the silence started and the bugal sounded, I promptly turned the engine off. All I had for three minutes was some halfwit banging on the door swearing at me for not opening them and calling me everything he could as he got irate.

Needless to say, after observing the silence I drove on and left him standing there like the ignorant fool he was.

In the past when driving a Brighton bus I have tried to stop for the silence.

You'd be surprised the attitude of people in that City. You get sworn at, people constantly asking "why are we stopped, why won't you answer me?" All complaining about being late and being totally disrespectful.

Once I was bus stop about to pull away opposite the war memorial at the old Steine, where there was a huge gathering of veterans and public, the silence started and the bugal sounded, I promptly turned the engine off. All I had for three minutes was some halfwit banging on the door swearing at me for not opening them and calling me everything he could as he got irate.

Needless to say, after observing the silence I drove on and left him standing there like the ignorant fool he was.

I admire you're restraint and not doing or saying anythig to him after the ceremony.

Amazed that the menin gate ceremony is not shown more often and talked about more often...the people of europe understand just how bad both wars were...we were very isolated from it to a degree, ( I know london and Coventry and a few other locations might argue otherwise but) we do not keep it in everyones eyes every day of every year. it is a fantastic event and I am full of admiration for those who keep this sort of thing alive...

the UK needs not to forget...

"the UK needs not to forget..."

Im not sure that we do. In all the years collecting for poppy day,this year there was a lot more interest. Ok could be due to the centenery year.

Something to remember about the Menin Gate ceromony is that about 85% of the people attending are visitors,true from all over the world but not native to Ypres. I have been many times and each time it touches me. BUT I will say, NOT everyone attending are there for the right reason. Ive seen some right scum there in the past. These were very soon removed.

Standing in the near-drizzle at Farnborough beside Buccaneer XV344 "Nightbird" with a fair number of other people ...

Andy

As was wifey.

On the other hand, I was the only one parked by a busy dual carriageway near the Newport transporter bridge, world carrying on as normal around me. Oh well...