It's not April 1st, is it?

Richard Notton

Perhaps someone could give guidance or help; I was handed a piece of paper today allegedly from a certain august publication emanating from a national "club", Proposed motions, it says.

1. (No.1) Buy a "showground" - well I'm told that a nominal 4000 members pay 25 quid a year, so 100K. Even with no mag or other overheads it seems likely that these sort of sums wont buy much at todays prices, that is unless there's a vast pit of cash that doesn't appear in the accounts.

2. (No.4) Should make for an interesting photo opportunity sending the CoM out on exercises in a "team building" course.

3. (No.5) "Affirmative actions in recruiting to ensure a cross section of all racial groups and sexual persuasions." ALthough perhaps it occurs to me that some of the racial groups and sexual persuasions may be wholly disinterested in old army trucks.

4. (No.6) "Initiate psychiatric profiling of all members to identify any latent or overt threats. . ." Of course if 3 (5) above is successful this may well be necessary, but I wonder what the members think of being apparently branded "dangerous" until proven innocent, who is to pay for it, and what message does that send when the population at large have an attitude of "What do you want a thing like that for?"

5. (No.7) "Instigate a requirement for members to offset the carbon footprint generated by their vehicles by regulatory tree planting rated by an equation pertaining to the relative aspects of mileage undertaken and engine efficiency. Members would self certify their tree planting. However, one member of the CoM should be desiginated as 'Tree Officer' to undertake a random inspection of members trees."

At last we have seen the whole carbon thing to be a myth but now a multi-billion worldwide money maker and jolly handy govt tax raiser, so neither of those powerful groups will let it go; I wonder if there's enough noughts to the right of the decimal point to handle the "equation" referred to when man's total world output is just 0.0015% of the natural sources. Just how many trees to the mile do you get from a Ferret?

I admit to being at a loss that these things ever see the light of day, let alone get printed; but may be I'm the idiot.

What do you members think? Would be interesting to know.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will write some more when I get time but I had imput on point 7 and it is a bit of forward thinking - sorry :oops: :cry:

If they hadn't come up with these ridiculous proposals then they wouldn't of had to cut down another tree to print the leaflet :whistle:

If they hadn't come up with these ridiculous proposals then they wouldn't of had to cut down another tree to print the leaflet :whistle:

The global warming debate is an interesting one, I will do go in to more detail later but I am one who does not believe in the global warming nonsense.

To be continued.....

Think someone's lost the plot :nut: :nut: :nut: :dunno:

That had crossed my mind too but perhaps I'll wait and see what comes of it. The proposer has put his name to it; although apparently identical to the paid-for producer and editor of the revered and august official organ, I don't suppose its the same person. . . . . . .is it?

:-o :schocked:

The global warming debate is an interesting one, I will do go in to more detail later but I am one who does not believe in the global warming nonsense.

To be continued.....

Jack, after the well presented CH4 programme last week I think most of the nations thinkers had their attitude that its a world-wide con completely proven by the suppressed but eminent world scientists.

This from Fox encapsulates the essence entirely:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258993,00.html

More power to CH4, they seem to have taken the lid off the whole façade, maybe if we all gang-up, de-indoctrinate the school kids and have some civil disobedience about "carbon taxes" then the whole sorry fabrication will go away.

I will write some more when I get time but I had imput on point 7 and it is a bit of forward thinking - sorry :oops: :cry:

Errrr - if I have to planting trees every year to off-set little Mauds carbon emmissions then I'm gonna be planting an area the size of the New Forest every year!!!

And as for point 4 (5) - sorry - the army beat them to it 30 odd years ago. And labelled me as a psycho.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Me

i am all for planting trees, "1 acre of trees provided enough oxygen to support 18 people"

But the main problem is the destruction of mature large trees which seems to be ever increasing due to land required for building.

At present here in Bournemouth every, and i mean every small plot of land seems to have builders on and the grand victorian houses are left to rot untill it is cheaper and more profitable to build flats on.

Ashley

It is rather strange and interesting that it is very PC and 'right on' to be planting trees......well done everyone, pat on the back, good o and all that.

......but has anyone stopped to ask the question - "have we stopped felling the Rain Forest? " The most diverse habitat in the world.

Got to be a scam or a wind up, nout to do with me at The Bell and nothing in the trade papers. :dunno:

John.

Well, if that's so, 10/10 for the scammers and wind-up merchants then; heck of an expense and effort to get 4000+ copies inserted into the august official organ before sealing in its plastic bag and mailed out to the members.

The answer is plainly obvious and i am suprised that you have not picked it up already.

These are proposals for the MVT AGM, which is usually poorly attended (less than 1% of membership usually). If you have a few extreme or ridiculous proposals that will get everybody quite enraged then you can guarantee a more than average attendance. I will be going, we will see how many turn up and i will let you know.

On other matters listed, i do have the following points to mention:

Purchasing a plot of land for shows - quite controversial and will cost at least £100K. Cash will not be a problem. If all gift aid forms are completed and returned the MVT are going to receive a cash windfall well in excess of that sum.

Carbon footprint - right or wrong it is what the public might believe. We have to at least be seen to be doing something in the publics eyes. You cant possibly send someone around to inspect my tree (monkey puzzle, it is just like me, very thorny), but i wouldnt mind being told how many trees i need to plant each year to offest our 50 miles we do a year in our trucks. A small shrub perhaps would suffice.

Profiling. Mad. How could it be done. Quite insane. Perhaps we should review all new applications which have the name Bin Laden for security checks. Whoops, no that would be prejudicial. Lets face it, no one in their right mind would have our hobby. Yes i like spending all my time in the cold shed and all my money on things that will probably go down in value. And i like smelling of oil as well. anybody who wants to own a military vehicle can be easily profiled.

Team building. A great idea. My current employer sent me on two team building events. The first one we spent the day on a boat drinking. The second one on the London eye followed by an afternnon in a London pub. I vote for that. Any club as large as the MVT has to be a well oiled machine, so lets get the committee well oiled.

As for the sexual persuasion thing, a number of our members display their canvas buckets hanging from the tow hook so i would think that we have that avenue pretty well covered already.

Looking forwards to the reply

Tim (too)

I agree with your thinking Tim and I think it is largely tongue in cheek but if the proposer is the A Jones that is the Windscreen editor if these proposals do upset a lot of members then he might just have compromised his bid for re-election.

On other matters listed, i do have the following points to mention:

Purchasing a plot of land for shows - quite controversial and will cost at least £100K. Cash will not be a problem. If all gift aid forms are completed and returned the MVT are going to receive a cash windfall well in excess of that sum.

Tim.

I did suggest that they should look at buying a piece of woodland that would forever off set their carbon footprint.....

To be continued....

From a PR point of few - I would advise for anyone to stay clear of carbon credits, you don't want to draw attention the movement until it has its facts straight.

It isn't for MV owners to feel guilty over fossil fuels usage. The private sector has to lead the way on this....

How many gallons of fuel do we use a year?

I agree with your thinking Tim and I think it is largely tongue in cheek but if the proposer is the A Jones that is the Windscreen editor if these proposals do upset a lot of members then he might just have compromised his bid for re-election.

I can see your logic, however, bear in mind that the official organ is revered almost as a sacred cow, if you hadn't noticed, and I have personally seen this first hand at previous official gatherings where the slightest criticism has produced an onslaught of raised voice rebuffs. Allegedly the long-term and renumerated producer and editor seems to have a monopoly position and so might possibly wield leverage many orders above that of anyone else; a situation that some ranking officers have commented to me about previously.

Just a thought.