Great Dorset Steam Fair

Rlangham

Off to the GDSF for my first time this week - as well as lots of steam vehicles, is anyone aware of anything WW1 related worth keeping an eye out for (ie any ex-WD Holts, traction engines or lorries?), or any interesting pre-WW1 commercial motor vehicles?

Off to the GDSF for my first time this week - as well as lots of steam vehicles, is anyone aware of anything WW1 related worth keeping an eye out for (ie any ex-WD Holts, traction engines or lorries?), or any interesting pre-WW1 commercial motor vehicles?

Have only just seen your post, I'm actually off to GDSF this afternoon, however there should be a number of items which will interest you across all areas of the show. There are usually a couple of steam engines with WW1 backgrounds and there has sometimes been something in the military and commercial sections, whilst the motorcycle tent will also be of interest.

To be honest you never really know what is going to turn up at the show until you are in attendance, I'm sure you will enjoy it like we do every year!

Have only just seen your post, I'm actually off to GDSF this afternoon, however there should be a number of items which will interest you across all areas of the show. There are usually a couple of steam engines with WW1 backgrounds and there has sometimes been something in the military and commercial sections, whilst the motorcycle tent will also be of interest.

To be honest you never really know what is going to turn up at the show until you are in attendance, I'm sure you will enjoy it like we do every year!

Went there on Wednesday, arrived at 9am, rain just starting, got soaked even wearing waterproofs, came back to the car park to get dry clothes and wellies, alarm bells ringing as a few people were struggling to leave, uphill stubble field. Went back to see more, got wet again, so decided to go back to accomodation to dry off. Moved about 12 feet before bogging down, waited for 1 1/2 hours for the tractor to pull me up the field, he was working flat out and still cheerful. Another tractor came along to assist him, reckon 1 in 3 vehicles needed a tow. Had to go flat out from top of field to the gate to avoid bogging again, it was so wet. On the way down in the morning, I saw the Battle of Britain Class loco "Winston Churchill", in Rownhams Service going East, so that made me wonder on conditions before I arrived. It was planned to go in the Heavy Haulage arena.

Heard from Hotbed, who is camping there, that the East carpark (where I had been on Weds), was closed, so running out of time today, I had to abort my second day. Hope conditions improve, the sun was shining when I left. A great pity as a lot of hard work goes into the event.

That's a real shame Richard and I did think of everyone there when it was pouring down all day and night yesterday.

- it is said that a Gypsy put a curse on the show that it would always rain - which always seems to be true but that was when it was held at stourpaine and not at Tarrant Hinton.

Went there on Wednesday, arrived at 9am, rain just starting, got soaked even wearing waterproofs, came back to the car park to get dry clothes and wellies, alarm bells ringing as a few people were struggling to leave, uphill stubble field. Went back to see more, got wet again, so decided to go back to accomodation to dry off. Moved about 12 feet before bogging down, waited for 1 1/2 hours for the tractor to pull me up the field, he was working flat out and still cheerful. Another tractor came along to assist him, reckon 1 in 3 vehicles needed a tow. Had to go flat out from top of field to the gate to avoid bogging again, it was so wet. On the way down in the morning, I saw the Battle of Britain Class loco "Winston Churchill", in Rownhams Service going East, so that made me wonder on conditions before I arrived. It was planned to go in the Heavy Haulage arena.

Heard from Hotbed, who is camping there, that the East carpark (where I had been on Weds), was closed, so running out of time today, I had to abort my second day. Hope conditions improve, the sun was shining when I left. A great pity as a lot of hard work goes into the event.

We went yesterday and had a good day. We found nothing of particular Great War interest but met the owner of the Locomobile lorry who has, unfortunately, had a disaster. He had a big end bolt failure while on the move and has smashed a hole in the crank case and broken a camshaft. Nothing he can't fix, he says, but another job he hadn't planned to do! The bolt shows signs of a long term fatigue failure. Just one of those things I guess.

The show was drying out nicely and the ground soft but not sticky so it was quite nice to walk on. There is a nice selection of MVs to see and plenty to keep you amused all day.

Have fun!

Steve

We went yesterday and had a good day. We found nothing of particular Great War interest but met the owner of the Locomobile lorry who has, unfortunately, had a disaster. He had a big end bolt failure while on the move and has smashed a hole in the crank case and broken a camshaft. Nothing he can't fix, he says, but another job he hadn't planned to do! The bolt shows signs of a long term fatigue failure. Just one of those things I guess.

The show was drying out nicely and the ground soft but not sticky so it was quite nice to walk on. There is a nice selection of MVs to see and plenty to keep you amused all day.

Have fun!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Is that the Locomobile that has been rallied for a good many years, "Verdun Wanderer" if I recall?

I should have come later in the week it seems, always better weather, the day after you go somewhere.

Had a great two days there - quite a few traction engines of WW1 interest, a lovely steam roller of 1915 that built roads at munition factory sites for example. Also a cracking 1913 Thornycroft lorry (but in I believe it's later 1920's guise as a shortened tractor). By no means saw everything though, roll on next year

Nice pics Andy.

Well done Phil, his Matador is certainly something a little special.

We arrived at 5.15pm on Wednesday but didn't get to our camping spot until 6.45 due to the ground conditions. I have never seen the ground so bad at GDSF, so much so I doubted if it would dry up for the remainder of the show. Thankfully Thursday and Friday were dry and warm and it did dry up in most areas. Had a good time once again and it was good to meet up with friends both new and old.

Only this one I'm afraid ! Good looking vehicle ! :-D

I was forwarded a set of similar photos on this vehicle and it posses a series of questions.

Does anyone have any more information on this rebuilt?

To me, it appears to be a collection of parts from various Thornycroft trucks of the period.

It is not as per original.

The front wheels are from a model X.

Front axle is early model J.

The rear wheels are latter model

The scuttle is non standard.

The engine and gear box appear to be a single unit rather than separate. As per mid 1920's.

The engine sump does not match a M4 engine.

When the chassis was shortened to a tug vehicle in the 1920's it could have been re-powered then.

Doug

I was forwarded a set of similar photos on this vehicle and it posses a series of questions.

Does anyone have any more information on this rebuilt?

To me, it appears to be a collection of parts from various Thornycroft trucks of the period.

It is not as per original.

The front wheels are from a model X.

Front axle is early model J.

The rear wheels are latter model

The scuttle is non standard.

The engine and gear box appear to be a single unit rather than separate. As per mid 1920's.

The engine sump does not match a M4 engine.

When the chassis was shortened to a tug vehicle in the 1920's it could have been re-powered then.

Doug

You are quite right. I think the technical term is a "Bitsa". I understand that apart from all the replica parts everything else is original parts, just not original to each other or in fact the Thornycroft.

Edited by Great War truck