dscf1715k.jpg

By rlangham at 2012-09-07

dscf1716h.jpg

dscf1736j.jpg

dscf1626q.jpg

1915 built Aveling & Porter roller that was built for the Kynoch ammunition firm and spent the war building and repairing roads on their extensive munitions factory site

dscf1362p.jpg

1917 built Fowler 'Midnight', built for the Ministry of Munitions

dscf1525yv.jpg

1912 Aveling & Porter road locomotive that spent the war almost constantly hauling three wagons full of horse poo from the horse lines at Aldershot!

Plenty of the traction engines there had interesting WW1 histories, will try and put up a few more images

Just watched some footage on Youtube, of the show on Friday, glad to see it was all happening then. Looks like I went there too early in the week :undecided:.

Better luck next year.... maybe.

Hi Richard

We went on Wednesday as well, so wet I had to wring out my socks when we got back to our B & B. Great show in spite of the rain, lots of good bits. I managed to get out of the carpark without a tow, years of driving army trucks, both preserved and serving payed off, I obviously managed to learn something on Salisbury Plain. Thursday was better, I would suggest everyone should go to GDSF once in their life!!

Great display of green machines, but no vehicle movement on Wed & Thur! Great static displays especialy the saw benches & road making.

Regards

Robin Grainger (Artifficer)

Hi Richard

We went on Wednesday as well, so wet I had to wring out my socks when we got back to our B & B. Great show in spite of the rain, lots of good bits. I managed to get out of the carpark without a tow, years of driving army trucks, both preserved and serving payed off, I obviously managed to learn something on Salisbury Plain. Thursday was better, I would suggest everyone should go to GDSF once in their life!!

Great display of green machines, but no vehicle movement on Wed & Thur! Great static displays especialy the saw benches & road making.

Regards

Robin Grainger (Artifficer)

Hi Robin,

An awful day, but in all the years of going there since 1987, only the second time that I have got wet. As for being towed out, my VW van is not like an army truck and bogged down within yards of my parking space on leaving, but once towed to the crest of the field, I employed rallycross techniques to get to the entrance ...... ie. Flat out !! When I got to the pub where I was staying the night, they said immediately that they knew where I had come from .... something to do with mud up to my knees I think. A hot shower and several pints of Ringwood and things looked much better!!!!

regards, Richard