"Tank Overhaul" - series on UK TV History (satellite or cable tv)

ArtistsRifles

Saw the last one of the series on the Hellcat last night. The ending was how I think the others would have benefited from with the finished vehicle driving around and with an ex-crew member there.

Still think the stuff about the Abrams was both OTT and pointless - but it was probably made for an American.Canadian audience so...

I take Adrians point about the extended time taken to complete such a restoration - however there was a few series running entitled "A xx is born" where the team built the object in question from scratch - helicopters, racing cars etc. I reckon something similar could be done with an old armoured or softskin vehicle; call it "An xxx is reborn" :-)

Still - it was nice to see old MV's on the screen so mustn't be too greedy!! :-) :-) :-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw 1, 2 and 4 but missed 3 (kid's) but have to say found if very US of A

but still a good insight into the world of MV - who made it? i know the History channel but there was a credit for another company at the end and if my eye sight was not playing tricks I'm sure it was a vehicle channel(?).

if any one found out maybe some one could write to them with a proposal for a show along the lines of MV restoration - covering PW and Post War :dunno:

Hello everyone. It's very interesting for me to hear all your comments about our show. I am the creator and producer of Tank Overhaul, and I found this site from a google search of show title. I agree with a lot of your points about the show.

The main reason only one episode features a restored tank is, unfortunately, schedule. As was pointed out above, these things take years. We had a production schedule of 1 year, with 6 months filming time for 4 episodes. We tried the best we could to get as much payoff as possible for each episode, but a completed tank just wasn't going to be an option. You might notice the one episode where we do have a completed tank at the end (Hellcat) features virtually *no* restoration, or reconstruction. That's not a coincidence.

As for why all the Leopard and M1 footage; I created and made this show for me ;) I love tanks and AFVs. I wanted to go see these things for real, so I wrote them into the show. But there's another, more important reason; I knew if I was watching this show, that's what I'd want to see. We milked the workshop footage as much as we could, but at the end of the day it wasn't enough to hold 46 minutes, so the modern stuff is a)cool filler, and b)attempts to compare state of the art 1944-1945, to today's MBTs.

Filming with Jacques, Kevin and Dave was great. They were all extremely generous guys, and alot of fun to film with.

We are making more shows, so if you have anything you want to tell us now is the time ;)

Also, we're actively looking for people who go out and salvage AFVs, or any other military vehicle. By that I mean the "t34s out of swamps" kind of people. Tanks, planes, cars, ...minisubs even. Please get in touch.

All the best,

John Moores

Producer

Windup Filmworks Inc

Toronto

john@windupfilmworks.com

Welcome to the madhouse John :-) :-)

Thanks for the programs - whatever esle they were enjoyable and filled agap in TV programming for MV enthusiasts thats been empty too long!!

Take your point about the modern MVs and the way they relate to the subjects of the program. As a thought/suggestion - could the modern equipment be related to the old - i.e. the Leopard A2 was a good match againt the panther, the Abrams was a good match against the Sherman as was the Milan to the Hellcat - but how about a Challenger 2 against the Comet??

Keep up the good work - look forwards to seeing more such programs!!

We are making more shows, so if you have anything you want to tell us now is the time

Also, we're actively looking for people who go out and salvage AFVs, or any other military vehicle. By that I mean the "t34s out of swamps" kind of people. Tanks, planes, cars, ...minisubs even. Please get in touch.

I'm in touch :whistle:

John welcome aboard and you may well have opened the flood gates with an offer like that :-D

nice to know that you have read the remarks and i have to say if i was making the show

As for why all the Leopard and M1 footage; I created and made this show for me I love tanks and AFVs. I wanted to go see these things for real, so I wrote them into the show.

hell who wouldn't :rofl:

This just shows how good the forum is when the bloke who made the series chips in. I take great heart from the knowledge that John likes armour and it wasn't just a project. Working for the media I regularly see journalists moving on from one event to the next without really infusing any genuine interest or the vaguest understanding. (Only last weekend I was involved with a leading British national newspaper who came within inches of publishing a ridiculous story about a Tiger tank found in a Slovakian bog. It turned out to be a six year old story about an Estonian T-34) You cannot expect to find mv fans in these places...they are a closed book . I think we've all agreed that Tank TV is a non-runner, but we are lucky to have the cable and satellite networks and Channel 5 showing stuff. This evening's Weapons of War on Five is a prime example. Lo and behold there was our mate David Fletcher educating us in style; while an array of slightly mad scientists blew things up - quality television, even with the endless praise of the Abrams (presumably the British Army was working a three day week when filming was done). It looked to me that this Abrams monopoly acted much the same as your Leopard footage.

So, John; please make some more programmes and keep us informed. I doubt if you will get many complaints from us. We like to see restoration scenes and hear how it really is for the people doing it. Any chance you can get Jacques Littlefield and Kevin Wheatcroft to join this forum so we can have a chat? There is no hiding place from HMVF.

Hi again,

Thanks for the warm welcome ;)

ArtistsRifles; We tried to film with the British Army but we never able to resolve the scheduling and budget to make filming Challengers a reality. That was the plan though, and you're right, it would have been the way to go. The German Army and the US Army were extremely accomodating. It was somewhat sobering filming with the US Army in El Paso at Fort Bliss; the guys we filmed there were off to Iraq a few weeks after we shot with them (they were 4BCT,1st Cav). I have a horrible feeling that the footage going around the net of the Abrams being destroyed by an IED last week was some of the same guys (http://www.icasualties.org seems to indicate that) we filmed with...

Snapper; you're so right about media types going from one thing to another, without really investing anything in the project. It works for some people I guess, but for me I could never invest 3 years pitching a project, and then one year making it, if I didn't love the subject matter.

Best,

John

There was a series on Men and Motors about 2 years ago called Military Machines which was very good, it interviewed the owners for the history/ info, it was filmed mostly at a Beltring show and would focus on stuff like BV206, SAS Landys, Austin Tillys, Champ, Centurion AVRE, Jeep, also had a episode featuering Wheels and Tracks collection? Mc Arthers staff car Renault tank, Merc staff car.

I managed to see all of the Tank Overhaul and came to the same conclusion as most apart from a few bits it was good.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

FYI:

Dogs got me up early on Sunday and while I was waiting for them to come back in I poped on the TV. Tank Overhaul S2 was on 'Yesterday' they were covering the Cent restoration at Duxford. This weekend they are showing an Elephant and BMP restoration starting at 6am.

Just watched the Panther one. Same dislikes as before - but I think I now understand the obssession with the Leo0ard A2. being an American Program, the Leopard shares many similarities with the US Abrahams - inc. the main gun and Neutral turn system.

Would like to have seen more of the vehicles undergoing work and after completion though - assuming the Panther in the USA has been completed.

Any vehicle with a Merritt-Brown (or derived: they go back about as far as the tank) comes with a neutral turn as an added extra.

When I was taught, they still, decades later, hadn't worked out HOW the neutral turn worked: it just did. I don't know if anybody has yet worked it out.

Plenty of reading if you google "Merritt-Brown gearbox" (add +"neutral turn" if you want more info on the neutral turn)

• 5 months later...

Hello again everyone,

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead;

I just wanted to point out that the second season's 4 episodes were made without any involvement from myself or my company. (legal BS)

We have been working on some follow on projects that would be of great interest to the group. Once or twice things have come together, only to fall apart at the last moment. Things are even more difficult now due to the current economic situation.

We are currently thinking about shifting away from the traditional television model, and planning for a more direct "on demand" approach that would enable us to put in more of the content we all want, and cut out the stuff the broadcasters want ie;dumb it down for the lowest common denominator. We are trying to put the funding in place to allow us to do this. It is my hope that we will be able to premiere a new, and even better series very soon.

Wish us luck.

Thanks and all the best,

John

Any vehicle with a Merritt-Brown (or derived: they go back about as far as the tank) comes with a neutral turn as an added extra.

When I was taught, they still, decades later, hadn't worked out HOW the neutral turn worked: it just did. I don't know if anybody has yet worked it out.

Plenty of reading if you google "Merritt-Brown gearbox" (add +"neutral turn" if you want more info on the neutral turn)

The Merritt-Brown was first used in Churchill and was designed to have a neutral turn facility. How it works is clearly described in the vehicle manuals.

It is a brilliant design, though bloody complicated!

• 1 year later...
The Merritt-Brown was first used in Churchill and was designed to have a neutral turn facility. How it works is clearly described in the vehicle manuals.

It is a brilliant design, though bloody complicated!

Adrian

This could quite easily be wrong here, but I was told that one of the bizarre quirks of the Merritt-Brown as used in the Churchill was that when going in reverse, the effect of the steering was reversed. ie,

a) pull right to turn left and vice versa.

b) However, once travelling over a certain speed, the steering reverted to normal ie, pull right to turn right.

All whilst travelling in reverse.

Comment (a) seems quite possible.

But comment (b) sounds too bizarre even for a British tank gearbox to me.

John Pearson or perhaps anyone else with Churchill experience care to comment?

Regards

Doug Greville

Australia