Want to take your category H license...?

Jack

So....................

Did you ?

:-D :-D :-D :whistle:

Well Dave - I tried but as everyone went to bed early I was left all on my own :whistle: ......plus the fact that everyone who would like to do it do get to the weekend - so we still need to sit around the fire and get this organised!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be nice if we could Jack - I've tried going via one of the advertisers on MilWeb (no names no pack drill) but after having got Ford to agree to pay £200 of the fee out of it's EDAP scheme the advertiser in question has suddenly gone incommunicado >:(

I started reading this thread and as I read each post, thought, "Must answer this; correct that ..."

Ultimately, it looks like you have found the answers, so here's two penn'orth with no particular relevance to individual posts.

1. A licence is a noun, spelt with a "c". When you license a vehicle, it is a verb and takes an "s". The Americans always use an "s" (incorrectly); we Brits often use "c" globally (and also incorrectly). The category "H" licence referred to in the thread title is therefore spelt incorrectly. [pedant hat off]

2. Driving a CVR(T): it was suggested that you climb through the driver's hatch and slide your legs between the tillers: in CVR(T), the tillers are mounted together and your legs wrap around them, to caress them between your thighs. ISTR Chieftain tillers are mounted apart and the legs pass between them so that there is a tiller outside each leg.

3. Early Scorpion Gear Change Pedals worked exactly like motorcycle gear selectors. slide the toe under the bar and flick it up to change up; place the toe on top of the bar and push down to change down. Unlike on motorcycles, there is, of course, no clutch pedal: the gear change is semi-automatic. Maybe this has relevance to the civilian requirement for a Group B licence prior to taking an H licence? By 1976 when Scorpion and I were introduced, "they" had realised that by fitting a GCP footplate instead of a motorcycle-bar, the same foot action created the same effect without the problem of getting size 9 DMS Boot out from under the bar and onto the top, making changing down easier. A very early Scorpole mod changed all Scorpoins to have a footplate rather than a bar. Those of us who knew the bar change, especially those of us who road motorbikes, always favoured the old system and repeatedly asked, in time-honoured fashion "Why did they have to change it?"

4. The test was on public roads, though we did the vast majority of our four weeks' driver training (which included Maintenance) on the Driver Training Area on Salisbury Plain, right outside the back gate of our barracks, Aliwal Barracks, Tidworth.

Road work tended to be either northwestward toward Marlborough then outside the garrison, beyond the Tidworth Military and Parish Cemetery, turn left toward Devizes. Leaving Netheravon on our left, where the following year I did my free-fall parachute course at the Joint Services Parachute Centre, we came to Everleigh and a transport cafe which did a very good bacon sandwich and had plenty of parking. And a fit young owner's daughter. It's now an expensive-looking Balti House.

Or we'd head off northeastward toward Andover via Ludgershall, joining the A303 at Weyhill between Andover and Weyhill. (It's all now soulless dual carriageway.) Again, as we reached the Andover ring road, there was a transport cafe, which did an excellent bacon sandwich. Can you see where this is going yet?

Alternatively, for a long run, we'd drive out to Stonehenge. In those days the whole tourist experience was so tightly controlled and there'd be a gaggle of B Sqn Scorpions and A Sqn Foxes parked up at the end of the carpark. They didn't do a good bacon sandwich, but we could get tea and coffee ... and there were always plenty of interested, good-looking (especially the Swedish ...) tourists to brighten up the environment.

Driver training ... mmmm yeah. What a great way to spend a long, hot, dry summer.

Come the day of the test (I was scheduled a week early because I had brought driving skills and a full Group A licence with me when I joined up, allowing me to drive military vehicles on ops in Fermanagh and West Tyrone. It gave others an extra week to practise - with an "s" cos it's a verb: see?) my instructor told me to follow the route we had practised for days over the Driver Training Area including knife-edge, steep up-banks and down-banks, through deep puddles (they'd have been deeper but this was the particularly dry summer of '76) and so on until the Qualified Testing Officer (our Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant - Eskimo Ness) was happy to take me onto the road.

I set off over the DTA. I was entirely confident and competent and took each obstacle in turn, gently easing the Scorpion over the knife-edge so that the sprockets didn't slam into the ground and shatter the final drives; I took the flooded road with aplomb. It hadn't occurred to me that Eskimo Ness (the SQMS) was wearing his usual Barrack Dress and hadn't come prepared to get down and dirty - he was only conducting a driving test. By this point I was struggling to remember which obstacle to take with aplomb next. Eskimo Ness stated that he had had quite enough of my driving with aplomb and might we now get on the road to conduct the test? Cue self doubt in my mind because Tpr Alien had riled the Staff Sergeant.

We crossed the Bulford road and joined the A338 connecting Tidworth and Shipton Bellinger. I drove us through Shipton Bellinger and turned left onto the A303 at the roundabout. (They have long since rerouted the A303, now dual carriageway which passes over the A338 100m north of the roundabout.) 1/4 mile further along I took the right in the direction of Grateley where the QTO informed me that it was pointless carrying on with the test, get out and swap places with the second candidate, sat on the gunner's seat - or rather stood on the gunner's seat: nobody SITS on a Scorpion gunner's seat except to fire the gun.

I was so distraught that the return journey passed in a blur. We arrived back on the vehicle park. It occurs to me that Kliene Schuetzenfest (by which name the second candidate was known, it being a literal translation of his surname into German) drove back through the garrison and approached from the wrong side to have done the obstacles, so clearly HE didn't have to attempt them. SULK.

We dismounted. Eskimo Ness started to debrief us, me first obviously, having been first candidate. I was still in a sulk and didn't really listen, having quickly learned to put on an interested face whilst being talked-to by a senior rank without actually listening. Then he thrust a pass certificate into my hot sweaty little hand and I was able to send off to have my little red book replaced by a boring form.

• 4 months later...

Well - a tracked vehicle will be entering the country in 2 or 3 weeks time.

Once Russian trucks have done their stuff to get it road legit it will be available for those who want to take the "H" test.

Unfortunately due to logistics this will have to be for those who can get to the Essex area, don't really think I can get it down to the South cost efectively for the period of time it would be required for.

All we need to do once it's here is sort out somewhere to do some training/familiarisation and to take the test - then source a tester!! :-D

Point is - we aren't a bunch of learners - we should all have full licenses.

If we were on provisionals then yes, big issue.

Fortunately we aren't......

Also - having read John's excellent article in the latest CMV of taking the H test - it seemngly doesn't need to be on public roads. As long as there is somewhere for the examiner to observe and where - in addition to ordinary driving - you can do a reverse around corners and a 3-point turn all is well.

Any ideas of a suitable location we could use???

I thought you would have L plates anyway as it not a full catergory on your licence. Would LOVE to drive a tank on L plates, can you see the other road users faces? :evil: But do we need a therory as well?

I've seen L-plates on sirhc's CVR(T) :-D

Neil the test does have to be taken on the road....

Our ref: 0701/**************

Dear Sir/madam

Thank you for your e-mail of 17 January regarding the Category H test.

The category H – track-laying vehicles steered by their tracks. This category does not include vehicles designed, constructed and used for excavation work, which are normally allowed to be driven to and from the place of operation by category B licence holders.

The vehicle that you produce for the test must be taxed and the person/s using the vehicle must have the relevant insurance cover for the vehicle.

The fee for the test is £48.50, to arrange the test and find out details regarding number of tests taken by an examiner at your location, you will need to call our national booking number on 0870 010 1372, or I can send an application form to you if you provide me with your full postal address. The test is conducted as a home test as the vehicle may possibly be limited to how far you can travel; you will be asked to suggest a suitable meeting place. Your test has to take place on roads with traffic and junctions, some very remote locations may be unsuitable.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further enquiries please e-mail customer.services@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

Yours Sincerely

Ryan Brooks

DSA Chief Executive's Office

Here's a question - are you allowed a commander in the appropriate slot during the test??

Think I'm going to have to re-read John B's article in the latest CMV as I'd have sworn that read like it was on private roads.. Lees post is from the horses mouth as it were though so lets work on that basis.

I'll go talk to the friendly insurers again and see what their position is - and what costs are likely to be involved. If we can find somewhere to practice off-road then it will reduce costs as all we will need will be insurance for the period of the test. How many are likely to be taking part in the Essex session - an idea of numbers would be nice?

Agreed - no question really - that L plates wil be mandated - however for the purposes of insurance those taking part will not be learner drivers in the true sense as (I assume) all will have car and poss. even HGV licenses so will have good road awareness - unilke a total learner who is a risk in a different league!!

Here's a question - are you allowed a commander in the appropriate slot during the test??

You may take the test with a passenger, but that passenger must not help or interfere in any way.

It would be best that any passengers you have are not connected in any way to the coms of your vehicle.

As far as I am aware you're not allowed a commander and the examiner isn't allowed to help you. Driving a Scorpion or other CVRT variant is very easy and vision is excellent, so you don't really need a commander.

Chris

Unfortunately Chris - I don't fit a CVR(T) so it will be the OT-90 in use. I hope - assuming we can get it road registered!! Right now I've no idea what rear vision will be like on this as the fitment of mirrors etc is something to be discussed with Richard and his guys once she arrives in the UK.

Hence the question!! :-D

When I too my H test in our Spartan I had to perform a "turn in the road" manouver- a 3 point turn. Did not have to reverse round a corner, but had to perform an emergency stop. The examiner was in the hatch, and we had removed the clansman, so we had to stop after every couple of turns to get new instructions! The test should be about 45 mins, the same as a car one, and don't forget to revise your highway code and road signs.

When I too my H test in our Spartan I had to perform a "turn in the road" manouver- a 3 point turn. Did not have to reverse round a corner, but had to perform an emergency stop. The examiner was in the hatch, and we had removed the clansman, so we had to stop after every couple of turns to get new instructions! The test should be about 45 mins, the same as a car one, and don't forget to revise your highway code and road signs.

The Examiner is supposed to do the test from the side of the road & not in the vehicle & a 3-point turn is NOT a part of the test so you don't have to do one if asked... this from the DSA...

Track laying vehicles steered by their tracks - category H

Before you can apply for a provisional licence for a category H you must have passed a test for a vehicle in category B.

You must be at least 21 years old to drive these vehicles.

It is your responsibility to make sure that the vehicle you are going to use for your practical test is legally roadworthy and has a current MOT certificate (if required). The vehicle must be fully covered for use on the test and for you to drive.

Your examiner will ask you to sign a declaration that your insurance is in order. The test won’t be conducted if you can’t do so.

Your vehicle should also display:

a valid tax disc

L plates displayed to the front and rear (or D plates in Wales if you want)

L plates should not be displayed:

on any windscreen or back window where they could obstruct your view

where they will cover any lights or indicators

If you do not comply with these rules your test may be cancelled and you could lose your fee.

Unsuitable vehicles

Your examiner will check that your vehicle is suitable on a practical driving test. The test cannot be conducted if the vehicle:

is operating on trade plates

does not display a valid tax disc

is carrying any loose items which could fall off

has damaged lights or indicators

has broken or missing mirrors

is carrying any load

could be a danger to other road users due to damage

is fitted with an item of equipment which may cause a danger to other road users

has such a poor view that you need another person to help when carrying out manoeuvres or at junctions

is in category B1, where the examiner travels in the vehicle but he or she can’t see clearly behind

The condition of your vehicle

Your vehicle must:

have clean number plates and lights

not be carrying a load, or be partly loaded

not be towing a trailer

not drop mud or any debris on the road

Your vehicle must also be mechanically sound. All equipment required by law must be fitted and working correctly.

The driving test is straightforward and has been designed to see if you:

can drive safely

complete the set exercises

know The Highway Code and can demonstrate this through your driving

Categories F, G, H, K vehicles are usually only single seat, or with a passenger seat where the examiner would not be able to watch the driver. For these tests the examiner will give you instructions at the side of the road and watch how you drive as you go around left and right circuits.

Category H driving tests require you to drive the vehicle backwards and to turn your vehicle around, using its tracks, to face in the opposite direction. Your examiner will explain how you should perform this manoeuvre.

At the end of the category F,G, H or K practical drive you will be asked five questions on the Highway Code and other motoring matters. You will also be asked a sixth question about six traffic signs.

The Driving Standards Agency do not conduct tests in bad light or in adverse weather conditions for the safety of the candidate and the examiner. We will arrange another appointment at no further cost, but compensation is not payable. Candidates should call the telephone number quoted on the appointment letter to check whether their test will go ahead.

If the driving test is not completed for reasons attributable to you or your vehicle, you will have to take another test at your own cost.