Want to take your category H license...?

Jack

Want to take your category H - track-laying vehicle steered by its tracks license?

Following on from some advice from Jim ‘Allied Forces’ Clark. I thought that it may be of help to some of us who would like to take their H license but thought it too expensive.

We could do as Jim and his group did and take it over a weekend and then share the costs between us all and as said earlier, we might have to study the Highway Code in a pub but I am more than willing to do my bit for Queen and country.

I am not sure but I would of thought that we will need to find a yard or some land somewhere for us to carrying this out and an area that has some B+B so we have somewhere to kip.

At this stage, I have no idea of cost’s or the logistics involved but we have to start somewhere.

Those of us who are interested then please cut and paste and add your name to the list.

Jack.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This interests me. I may also have a mate up for it. We are Essex based...I hadn't ever considered doing it and have no experience - but how practical an idea is it for a novice??

To be Honest Snapper I think it would be just fine, if not then you the experience for next time........

Are you in the 'H' group?

This interests me. I may also have a mate up for it. We are Essex based...I hadn't ever considered doing it and have no experience - but how practical an idea is it for a novice??

Been over 30 years since I last played with tracked vehicles but from memory it's not too diffcult so you shouldn't have a problem. IIRC - my first instruction was on an RE caterpillar dozer in a field and the biggest issue was grasping the idea of pulling and pushing levers to turn, rather than twisting a wheel :-)

That depends what vehicle you're driving. Some have a manual clutch, some have a centrifugal clutch, some are fully automatic.

For example, in a CVRT you have an accelerator pedal, a brake pedal and a gear change pedal. The gear change pedal is depressed with your heel to change up a gear and your toe to change down. The CVRT has a centrifugal clutch.

The tillers connect to master cylinders which operate 2 disc brakes on the output shafts of the gearbox. To turn left you pull the left tiller which operates the right brake. The brake pedal is connect to a seperate set of disc brakes!

To drive the vehicle once the engine is running you select 2nd gear with your heel, (1st gear is called 'E' or Emergency) release the handbrake, increase the revs. At about 800 rpm the clutch kicks in and the vehicle begins to move. You then go up and down the gears as in a normal car using your left foot. A bit like a motorbike. The turning circle is different in each gear so you need to make sure you are in the correct gear for the corner you want to go round! I have heard stories of Scorpions falling off the side of mountains.

A 432 is much easier, and thats why these are almost always used for tank driving at places like Tanks A Lot. The steering in these vehicles works by operating brake bands in the steering box, these are also the main brakes. To drive one you just select the gear range, release both tillers from the locked position and accelerate. To turn left you pull the left stick and to stop you pull them both together.

A Chieftain is driven in exactly the same way as a CVRT, a Centurion has a manual clutch which is very heavy. The setup is quite different in most American AFVs, I have only driven one and that was a long time ago!

Hope this helps,

Chris