To MOT or not to MOT - 15cwt Bedford

Guys,

Can someone please answer this for me??

I own a Bedford MW. Some say its needs an MOT, other say it doesnt?? I have read several posts on the MOT subject but am still none the wiser??

DO I NEED AN MOT???..........>:(

Is it over 3500kg gross? If so, and used unladen, it does not require a test. It also has to be pre 1960 but for an MW, that's not an issue!

If you're unsure of it's gross weight, weigh it empty and add 750kg for its payload. I would be surprised if it weighs as much as 2750 kg unladen but there is only one way to be sure.

The tax renewal on my WOT2 says it needs an MoT and it is the same size & Weight as an MW. However, there is something going on about making pre-1960 vehicles MoT exempt, but no news yet.

Ok, so if a MOT is required, do i need to go to a HGV testing station?

Also, on the form for tax exception on the DVLA website, there does not seem to be a catagory that covers my vehicle?

Edited by 44GPW

Also, on the form for tax exception on the DVLA website, there does not seem to be a catagory that covers my vehicle?

On the form your tax class would be Historic.. Just write that where it asks for tax class under vehicle details.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065263.pdf

Details Here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065254.pdf

Edited by Marmite!!

Be carful about the choice of MOT staion. Some of them do not seem to understand things like, it a pre 1964 vehicle! It DOSEN'T need seat belts fitted. :banghead: Have you talked to the local MVT person? The main thing is, will it stop, will it steer, do the lights (Relevant to the regulations at the time of manufactuer ) work and is anything going to fall off? Do be awre though that if you add any modern refinments , such as indicators, they must work in accordance with curremt regulations. Great fun watching the head scratching at some places of NDC tyres.

• 1 month later...
The tax renewal on my WOT2 says it needs an MoT and it is the same size & Weight as an MW. However, there is something going on about making pre-1960 vehicles MoT exempt, but no news yet.

on BBC today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

in reality what it means is pre 1960 vehicles which are too light for the existing 3,500kg GVW MOT exemption, so for example every 15cwt (or lighter) WW2 era Morris, Bedford, Guy, Austin etc truck, will be exempt from 18 Nov 2012

so this will be the last show season where you need an MOT

Edited by john fox

We are basically all club members, this new ruling should have no bearing on the condition of our vehicles they need to be in a roadworthy condition at all times. The vast majority of owners take their responsibilities very seriously indeed, and realize that any possible lowering of standards is not only dangerous to other road users, but in the long run very costly to the individual owners. We all love our machines, we treat them like babies and would not want so much as a scratch on the paintwork. However I do believe that the club areas should appoint people ( and we certainly have plenty of qualified vehicle mechanics within our ranks) to oversee and check that mainenance is maintained to the high standards that we have already set for ourselves. Its also perhaps worth remembering that most of these vehicles will not go much faster (and in many cases not as fast ) as a modern agricultural tractor............. which has never been subjected to annual testing.............

Well said that Man, however I do worry about the person that buys a pre 1960 Series one Landie and puts in a 200tdi and drives it around with no mot after the November date just to get away with it. They don't always tell the Insurance and try to stop on small drum brakes.

Hopefully the Police will target these more and I hope it doesn't become a problem for the rest of us that keeps our kit in good fettle.

Steve

But you've previously claimed that your WC was exempt from MOT testing so what's changed.:???

The 51 is, but that will mean the 54 is as well. Though when it comes to vehicles imported like Katy, surley at least an intial road saftey test will be needed?

We are basically all club members, this new ruling should have no bearing on the condition of our vehicles they need to be in a roadworthy condition at all times. The vast majority of owners take their responsibilities very seriously indeed, and realize that any possible lowering of standards is not only dangerous to other road users, but in the long run very costly to the individual owners. We all love our machines, we treat them like babies and would not want so much as a scratch on the paintwork. However I do believe that the club areas should appoint people ( and we certainly have plenty of qualified vehicle mechanics within our ranks) to oversee and check that mainenance is maintained to the high standards that we have already set for ourselves. Its also perhaps worth remembering that most of these vehicles will not go much faster (and in many cases not as fast ) as a modern agricultural tractor............. which has never been subjected to annual testing.............

Agree whole heartedly Ray......... it's down to us...... those of us who operate larger trucks should always have been aware that the buck stops with us. When plod pulls you over the first place you will be going to is a ministry test station and woe betide you if you are not road legal.

The move to include pre 60s regardless of weight is a very positive one for the preservation movement as a whole. Its up to us as individuals to step up to the mark and police ourselves. Clubs also need to play a part in making the basic requirements clear to members and taking action if breaches are found to be happening.

Pete

Guys,

I have a friendly HGV inspector that checks my vehicles over after we are happy with them. Last time we missed a couple of split pins!!!!

Remember your children could be coming the other way when a not so cleverly maintained vehicle hits them.........

In a Matador thats about head height!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MVT and others must set up some standard test. This relaxation of the rules is perhaps one a bit too far.

The 51 is, but that will mean the 54 is as well. Though when it comes to vehicles imported like Katy, surley at least an intial road saftey test will be needed?

If your WC51 is Mot exempt before the new regulations come in then it must be heavier than the factory spec by over 300 pounds:???

The WC54 is fractionally under the 3.5Tonne GVW demanded by the regulations in force until November.

Edited by Degsy

Just picked up the Jeep from its MOT. It passed i am pleased to say, although there was some last minute tinkering with the hand brake the night before. The chap in the garage (who is really helpful) is a bit concerned about the change in MOT rules. he says that he can think of three farmers who run the most clapped out Land Rovers imagenable and now that they dont need MOT's he is concerned that anything that needs doing just wont be done. it makes me a little worried. I am sure that all of us (well nearly all?)MV owners will keep their vehicles in a safe and road worthy condition but what about the others. One idiot and a fatal accident might see us all taken off the road.

Tim