To MOT or not to MOT - 15cwt Bedford

If your WC51 is Mot exempt before the new regulations come in then it must be heavier than the factory spec by over 300 pounds:???

The WC54 is fractionally under the 3.5Tonne GVW demanded by the regulations in force until November.

We've been through this. From the time I bought her and took the intial renewal up to the local DVLA office, getting on eleven years now, they never questioned it for MOT. Their check showed exempt. No futher re-newals showed the MOT Requirment. The 54 is new or rather re-imported- So an intial test for roadworthyness would be needed anyway. That is something that does concern me though. If I'd brought her over later in the year, surley some initial check would still be needed. Though, if, as I could have done, I'd kept her registered at a friend's adress in Jersey, which I can, as I have right of residency, I could keep her on Jersey plates for up to one year, then if I took her back to Jersey for a couple of days, I could keep her for another year. The other thing is the word 'Ambulance' on the log book. I know from the 101 that this can be a pain in the butt, hence after consulting DVLA, she is now listed as a 'Van'. Custom's were also very good on the way in, classing her as personal property (As no sale of the vehicle had been involved) and clearing it straight away.

The 51 is, but that will mean the 54 is as well. Though when it comes to vehicles imported like Katy, surley at least an intial road saftey test will be needed?

why is the wc51 mot exempt? i was told mine is but i cant work out why!!

Tony, as you have said yourself previously verbal info from DVLA or VOSA is valueless, it is up to you to do your homework if you are claiming exemption as every year you have to fill in the form and if you were found to be giving false information I have no doubt you would be prosecuted. I know this will all become irrelevant in November but if Mr Plod pulls you in the meantime and decides to do a full weight check etc then trouble will surely follow. This would not just affect you, it brings the whole movement into question and could have far reaching consequences. If your vehicle is maintained to the correct standard and I have no reason to suggest otherwise then why would you wish to avoid a test which is basically there to check the safety of your vehicle?

• 1 month later...

A Motor vehicle, which I suppose includes a motorbike, that was FIRST USED, which is the key, before 1960. The first used means if you got a collection of old bits and built a copy, though each bit was pre 1960, if you can't prove it had been 'used' on the road somewhere before 1960, it would need MOT and road tax etc. Going to be a whole world of fun and games considering the majority of vehicle of that age would have had major repairs re builds, renovations. Like Grandad's broom, three new handles and two new heads.

Edited by Tony B

I copied all my original documents, showed them to the DVLA, then gave them the copies. Though Sidcup office were incredibly helpful. If you have an original registration number, even if it is no longer releveant, you could ask if it is available. I got Katy's original English number back as it hadn't been re issued. Biggest problem was proof of adress. There are so many things done on line now that Gas, Electricity or other utility bills are rare documents. And who keeps them anyway?